Nationals: What Went Right/Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this issue with people with disabilities definitely brings up a deeper issue... I'm actually all for working around it...
It's not that hard to work around. Don't have a DJ. Problem solved. Between the ambient noise and the DJ, you couldn't hear the games or the music. It was a complete waste of resources.

ICE: I keep forgetting you're all NVGA'd up. ;P When I mentioned a lack of acknowledgment, I'm aiming that primarily at the people who are materially responsible for putting on the actual nats event. Your minor concessions are noted and appreciated.

A lot of the noise issue really does come down to what can or should be reasonably expected during serious tournament play. Crowds yelling is totally okay. Announcers doing their thing is also okay. Again, you can flat-out expect that sort of stuff. Near-constant advertisements, though, and ear-shattering, ass-awful techno music are not reasonably to be expected, however. That's akin to dousing players in kerosene at TiT and then lighting them on fire just because they should expect to be hot in the Texas summer.

Lastly, I think you're a bit off-base in your comparisons between Nats and Evo. For example, while Evo had merch and booths pimping various things, nobody ever shouted at players over the PA system about those booths during tournament play. In fact, whether it was running pools or finals, the focus was on the games themselves and there were basically zero avoidable distractions. That, to me, contributed in large part to the overriding sense of efficiency and professionalism which pervaded Evo and did not, alas, make much of an appearance at our Nats.

i do remember awkwardly large go-go dancers in front of screens though, just saying
Didn't last long. She clambored on up, started gyrating...
Someone shouted, "Get away from the damn screen!"
Then they were easier to ignore til the Smash guy got up there too.

So, after all of this complaining about DFG, NVGA, and whoever else, why doesn't the "community" organize it's own national tournament?

So, after all of this complaining about DFG, NVGA, and whoever else, why doesn't the "community" organize it's own national tournament?
IF we decide to do Nationals next year... that is probably what we are going to do. We are holding off on talk about next year's nationals until the ferver of this year's nationals dies down.

And oh yes... speaking of unprofessionalism... I STILL don't have the brackets from the SuperCon.

Get a load of him on the boards, lol.

Would be nice if we could have a nice little meeting between DFG and some of the NVGA reps (Chinga, ICE, XA) with some of the reps from the SC community who have some clout (Jax, Chacha..etc) along with some people who were there at Supercon who could also provide helpful feedback...and discuss.

Thank you from the NVGA

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. What up people. We will be posting a lot of aftermath items on the SuperCon site which include:

-Full Results from all Tournaments
-Vids from Soul Calibur Nationals and other tournaments
-and much more

Also, for those who want questions answered about the event feel free to call me if you want an answer. All those who have met me and know me know that calling me and talking to me is best. I don't do arguments and converstation over forums. I'm very easy to reach if you want answers. I see people ask questions but I have not recieved any phone calls so again feel free to call. Some of the people that are asking questions have my number so use it if you want your answers. The NVGA and Colorado Cutthroat have nothing to hide about any parts of the SuperCon.

Like Dahlsim stated the NVGA and Colorado Cutthroat is not going anywhere so as co-founder of the NVGA and founder of Colorado Cutthroat we won't stop providing high level and high quality gaming events. I and the rest of the NVGA will look over all negative and positive aspects of the event and make improvements for next year's SuperCon. It takes more than words to stop me from progressing foward.

Again, thanks for the opporturnity and with the new season starting for the NVGA very soon get ready to see a variety of events from all the chapters in the NVGA. Talk to all of you soon!!

Thank you from the NVGA

DFG, PM me your number. I know you since the beginning of SC2. I'd love to call you and find out what was going through your head to make these awful decisions.

Thank you from the NVGA

dfg drops his initial post and is now reading all the drama induced responses with a bag of popcorn. i doubt he has any intention to reply to anyone

hype

and the general unprofessionalism I have witnessed over the past year. To me, it doesn't matter what NVGA does about getting Supercon to be better for next year, as my issues are unrelated to that... and from what I have been hearing from the CO community, haven't changed in years.
http://www.8wayrun.com/showpost.php?p=132796&postcount=4

Jaxel,

I guess I’m just going to have to call you out. Since you say Greg has been unprofessional. Do reasonable people think this banter back and forth on this forum is “Professional”? I really hate to “Call you out”. Why? Because for us to have a conversation we need to have it on the same level. So I’m going to go to your level so we can have this conversation. I hate to do it because it is un-professional for me to do it. But I’ll let others in our organization be the professional face of the NVGA. Im going to get in the mud with you and get dirty so we can try to come to an understanding of one another. Because dude you are so far out there I have to try to understand you for my own sanity. And I hope our conversation can illustrate to those people reading the post the truth of this matter. So let me start.

Jaxel, what do you think is so professional about carrying on this type of conversation tearing a person down? Professionalism would have said “Thanks for the event SC community and NVGA, good event, we can see it being improved from the planning and execution of the event next year. We will discuss areas of improvement and make our decisions for the event next year” just about anything on a surface level would have been more professional. But look what your doing Jaxel, or I ask others to note what your doing.

Let us explore this unprofessionalism even further. What would un-professionalism have done? Well lets just read any of your post imponing a persons honor. How do you justify acting in such a way? Well from what I can gather from your post online you probably justify it because you mentioned you want full transparency and to bring the SC community together. Or better yet let me grab the quote… you said

When I set up 8WR, it was for the effort of having FULL TRANSPARENCY from the leaders of the community.

Ok perhaps you are just trying to give nationals that “FULL TRANSPARANCY”. I agree lets be transparent about it, but does it include telling people that DFG is un-professional? Perhaps you didn’t like the way he managed it. Fine. Then say miss-managed, point it out where is could have been done better, and then end it. But you don’t end it, I keep seeing you bring up the same points over and over.

Why? Why continue a public fight that the organizer has already said, 'We see where there can be improvements and will work on them' But that is not good enough for you. Take if offline for professionalism. You want to keep attacking, and keep attacking. What’s your point? Perhaps you really feel there are un-answered questions and you are just trying to get the “Transparency” you are committed to provide. (And I do believe you have good intentions of open-communication)

Well then Call Greg and get the answers. If you want that transparency soooo bad then call him. Greg already stated he would answer anyone’s questions. He stated just to call him as he does not want to get into a long and drawn out forum fight.

Jaxel can you blame him for not wanting to answer questions in this environment you helped create? Lets look at this thread it almost 10 pages! And it’s basically the same 3 or 4 of the same people posting the same complaints over and over. I do not blame Greg for not wanting to get into a forum fight. Keeping up on this one post alone has eaten HOURS of my weekend time I could use with family, time I could use to better the my local chapter, time I could use to improve the NVGA, doing anything then catering to the 3-4 people that keep rehashing the same complaints.

So if you want that transparency just call him, or ANYONE WANTING a honest-person-to-person chat call or PM Greg! Mind you Greg has pobbly been one of the most profestional when it comes to the actions after SuperCon. So Jaxel what about the quote below do you not understand?

Also, for those who want questions answered about the event feel free to call me if you want an answer. All those who have met me and know me know that calling me and talking to me is best. I don't do arguments and conversation over forums. I'm very easy to reach if you want answers. I see people ask questions but I have not received any phone calls so again feel free to call. Some of the people that are asking questions have my number so use it if you want your answers. The NVGA and Colorado Cutthroat have nothing to hide about any parts of the SuperCon.

Jaxel since you opened up this can of worms on full transparency I want you to also realize I am a member of the SC community . I also want full transparency. So you know you can contact Greg and get the full transparency. So I am now contacting you as I also want some full transparency from 8Wr. I am not doing this to be an A-hole, as I seriously believe you are committed to full transparency.

Could you provide a monthly or a quarterly report of the earnings of 8Wr? As I see you have online advertising on the site, perhaps you also have premium membership on the site. I honestly feel if you are making any money on this site that should go back to the players. Go back to the community.

I understand their could be a fee to operate the site, Or perhaps this site actually looses money? But if so I would like to offer my ability to manage not only a great tournament, but also manage a website. As we currently have a deal with our owners that they pay for our webhosting. So if you are loosing money on 8Wr then it is being miss-managed. Why not let me help, and then the community can benefit by taking the profits and paying that back out to players.

If the site is making money, please show us how much, so we as a community can help decide where the money should go. As again I say I do believe you when you say you want full transparency. So please provide that to me and the community.

I want to apologize here everyone. As the VAST MAJORITY of players I chatted with enjoyed the event. I know I am getting a little dirty and in the mud, but I truly want to have an understanding with Jaxel. I would like to be friends with Jaxel. And this is the only way I can figure out how we can understand one another..

Chingachgook, DFG has said MANY times that he will answer any question you want. ChaCha and I have tried dozens of times to ask him questions, he always says something along the lines of "I'll get back to you on that", and we never get our answer. Even when we was doing those "Wednesday Night with DFG in Javachat", people still weren't getting their asnwers. ChaCha and I have spoken with him about some of this stuff, but our words have been largely ignored. You can't run something like this, never give people answers, and finally decide to give people answers AFTER THE FACT. Why does no one call him? Because he has lost credibility with us. I would have called him out on this stuff BEFORE Nationals went down, but I didn't want to undermine his efforts. (Javachat is the only place where I've been open about my complaints) 2 months ago we KNEW that Nationals had become a joke, and that is largely due to DFG's actions.

I didn't want to say anything publicly on the forums till after the current Nationals, because I didn't want the event to be even SMALLER than we knew it was going to be? 20 people? Obviously I'm not the only one upset with DFG. And honestly, I don't think DFG even reads these forums! He sent me a message the other day after hearing that I have been impugning his honor on the forums, and he starts defending his actions. Meanwhile he hasn't even read the forums, and I ask him "Why are you defending yourself when you don't even know from what you are defending?!" From the actions and decisions I have seen over the course of the past year... he doesn't care about the community at all. And I'm STILL waiting on the brackets from SuperCon. So why do I bring my complaints out into the open? Because behind close doors, NOTHING GOT FIXED. When ChaCha and I complained directly, we were ignored.

Now that we bring it to the public eye, NVGA suddenly hear's our complaints? Now for an anecdote... My father was a customer of Pitney Bowes for 20 years; and over 20 years, they treated him like garbage and wouldn't answer any of his questions. Then he dropped them and moved over to Stamps.Com; the moment he did that, Pitney Bowes started calling him and trying to service his complaints non-stop in efforts to get him back as a client. He told them to go fuck themselves. You can't treat your customers like garbage and then try to pretend that your poor quality of service didn't happen.

As for what you want to know...

Money made off premium memberships: $1087
Money made off AdBrite (started ironically, 36 days ago): $36
Money made off PlayAsia (why we moved to AdBrite): $3

Cost of keeping this website up: $540 a year
Cost of the vbulleting License: $180 + $40 a year (they will be tripling? their prices next year)
Cost of the AddonChat Hosting: $140 a year

So in the course of a year (as of tommorow this website is 1 year old), this website has generated $1126, and has cost me $900 to maintain. You could say I made $200, or you can assume that I am using that $200 to keep this website up a little longer. Premium memberships are going down; as you can see I barely break even, in the next few months, it would be impossible to pay for this website through premium memberships at the rate they are decreasing. That is why I put in AdBrite.

Chingachgook - The perennial bastion of maturity

"OH YEAH, you wanna see where OUR money went? Lemme see where YOUR money goes!"

It's like watching GWBush, in video game form.

One ? I wanted to ask about nats.... if nats wasnt going to let in others into the tourny as I am reading then why did the french and korea show up to this then ( also russia was going to come but got sick ) are they just assholes and were going to invade whatever tourny there was to be had or had they just thought that the tourny was going to be hella hype with awesome comp. man, because something just doesn't add up if people say that nats was supposed to be one way and everyone knew it???/

Kdz I owe you a azz whupping for shots on the tennis my friend, you better pratice now, peace...

Just reread your post Chingachgook... let me break it down for you...

Professionalism would have said “Thanks for the event SC community and NVGA, good event, we can see it being improved from the planning and execution of the event next year. We will discuss areas of improvement and make our decisions for the event next year” just about anything on a surface level would have been more professional.[/COLOR]
Yes... its definately more professional to LIE, pretend that it really didn't matter. Also professional to pretend that we would even entertain the idea of supporting a Soulcalibur 4 National series run by NVGA next year. Pretending that everything was okay and just going with the flow really worked for this year's Nationals... I guess we can do that again next year. As I say... Stupidity isn't doing and failing; stupidity is doing the same thing a second time, and expecting a different result.

I agree lets be transparent about it, but does it include telling people that DFG is un-professional? Perhaps you didn’t like the way he managed it. Fine. Then say miss-managed, point it out where is could have been done better, and then end it. But you don’t end it, I keep seeing you bring up the same points over and over. Why? Why continue a public fight that the organizer has already said, 'We see where there can be improvements and will work on them' But that is not good enough for you. What’s your point? Perhaps you really feel there are un-answered questions and you are just trying to get the “Transparency” you are committed to provide.
Its not just about the way he managed it... he also claimed that he would answer people's questions and didn't. He made promises to the community and to ChaCha specifically, and he failed on EVERY SINGLE ONE. Why do I keep bringing up the same points? Because you guys at the NVGA keep ignoring them; you answer people's questions about the useless stuff; the distance from the airport, the bright lights, the loud DJs; but that doesn't matter to me! Not to mention you keep DEFLECTING. People say they had a hard time finding food, you say "food is available". People say the Airport was too far; and you guys will probably be using the same venue next year. Every complaint people are making, you acknowledge, then deflect; this tells me that you don't care. And of course, no one has answered the big questions I posed. NOT ONE ANSWER.

Jaxel can you blame him for not wanting to answer questions in this environment you helped create? Lets look at this thread it almost 10 pages! And it’s basically the same 3 or 4 of the same people posting the same complaints over and over.
He didn't answer the questions before this environment showed up either. At least now someone from the NVGA is paying attention, because DFG didn't. And if the same 3 or 4 people are posting the same complaints over and over, maybe that proves my previous point that no one is getting the answers THEY DESERVE. Now you are starting to preach transparency as I do, except with you, it has no meaning! Transparency... how come we STILL haven't seen it from the NVGA? Practice what you preach.

I understand their could be a fee to operate the site, Or perhaps this site actually looses money? But if so I would like to offer my ability to manage not only a great tournament, but also manage a website. As we currently have a deal with our owners that they pay for our webhosting. So if you are loosing money on 8Wr then it is being miss-managed. If the site is making money, please show us how much, so we as a community can help decide where the money should go.
I don't think anyone on this website has a valid reason to say I've mis-managed anything. We have a website, it works great, and it is rarely ever down. Not to mention I make constant improvements and changes. But you talk about taking the excess money and and spending it... why? I'm saving the money for a rainy day; that is proper management. When 8WR was first being set up, people were afraid that if the premium memberships stopped coming in, I would shut the website down. Now, if all income of this website were to stop today; I could keep the website up for at least another 4 months. PROPER MANAGEMENT.

I mean, honestly, this was the worst tournament I have attended, and that's including that one MLG Dallas that was sponsored by the Nokia N-Gage. =P

Was it even worse than Clash 2007, where we had to wait like 3 hours between each match damn near? That's pretty freakin horrible then.

Luckily I have no memory of clash 2007 between arriving and then waking up in the van many hours later. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back