Natsu Questions And Answers / General Discussion

Alright, here's the thing: I'm totally new to Natsu (I never played Taki in SC3 and SC4, only in SC2), but I want to learn this character so much.

So, where should I start? Her moveset is a little complicated to me and she's so different from Leixia. :s What should I learn first? lol

NatsuMist: You need to read the newbie silencers in this forum and here. Answers questions like "what does -4 on block" mean (it means that you have four frames more of animation after you are blocked than your opponent does -- so a move that is normally 3 frames slower than yours will beat a move you do immediately afterwards; you're less safe).

It's 66b BE. Not 88b BE. 88b is an entirely different move, and doesn't have a BE. Just hit 66b and then slam ABK (or a bind) before the move comes out and it should happen.

Warning to All New Natsu Players

There is NO FLOW CHART. NO SET MOVES. You must learn to make her work for you.

Some PLay Defensive, Some Rushdown, Some go for Big Damage, some Just Chip and Punish.

Its all up to you.

Do you guys think Natsu's CE's behavior against opponent near the wall/ring edge a bug? From what I know, only Aeon has this kind of "restriction", and his is considered a bug (though his is much worse).

Edit: Maybe we should have a compiled list of Natsu's possible bugs and glitches in its own thread? To make it easier for Project Soul to see it. Although I only know the CE thing and 6A+B4 > PO A:6_PO K whiffs.

going forward i see that JG is super important to natsu. she gets A:6 in many places where other characters can only get AA or cant get anything at all. she can play some really nasty reverse mixup games using JG as well. if you can get a good read on someone a correct guess can lead to a RO or a CH WS K or at least a knockdown. these games are especially effective near a ring edge or wall.

best ways to set this up are using safe tools like 22A, 22K, 2BA, 2KK. if these moves get blocked, buffer in a JG right as you recover and if they retaliate with a fast poke you will usually get the JG and the subsequent A:6. once they get wise to your JG attempts the most common way to stop people from using JG is to do slower moves that give frame adv or do throws and lows. slow moves lose out to CH WS K, lows lose out to 8A/8B sometimes 8K as do throws. if the ring edge is to your right 8A will RO.

after all these have been implemented, you will get hesitation frames that will allow you further pressure like stepping into another 22A or doing quick lows.

speaking of quick lows, 1K into 4A+Ba is a frame trap against every character except natsu. using this can condition a certain response from your opponent as they will either need to either do nothing, do a quick 2A or a TC move to beat it out. slow TC moves lose to CH WS K. anything 16 frames or slower will get CH, if they use a 16 frame move and you trade BT 8A+B will still get you a chunk of damage. 2A loses to 8A/8B or RCC A+B. A+B will jump 2A's at -2,-3 and sometimes at -4 depending on range.

last thing i want to touch on is converting single air hits into A:6 hard knockdown damage. i get this alot off of 22A, but learning to react to a single air hit with any move is important. if you hit someone out of a jumping move such as a standard 8A/8B/8K or something like mitsu 66K that has some TJ frames, they cannot air control until they get hit again. we need to be able to recognize and react to this using A:6. in many cases they will be knocked down close enough where 1A will be guaranteed, or you can run tech trap setups using 4A+B, 44K, 2A+B. this converts low damage moves like 22A into 60 to 75 damage for free.

sorry for the long post just wanted to share some of the things ive been messing with lately.

its ok. its pretty slow, is death if ducked, -5 on hit, is pretty ass at the end of the round as it suffers from guts system reduction.

good things about it.... deceptively long range, decent damage, knockdown on CH for RO/wallsplat/ tech trap with 66K/ guaranteed 4A+B if they dont tech. i use it from time to time, but its not something that can be abused. its nice to get in when you can to tack on 26 damage.

Most lows are extremely punishable on block tbf. Well, most of the usable ones anyway. It is rather slow, but it's very hard to block on reaction due to its animation.

Just finished a pretty big overhaul to the wiki. All move names are listed and I fixed some formatting issues.

just wanted to note that, the impact data in the wiki and in the link in the newb silencer thread was really helpful. i had NO clue that 2K was i18 until i had some of my "frame traps" interrupted. in the guide it says its i16. the other notable change is 1a at i30 where the guide says its i24. huge difference.

there are a few moves in the game that are -10 and force crouch so we cant AA or A:6 them. they are usually moves that are used heavily by their respective characters and natsu can punish them with 4A+Ba if you are fast enough. its only 8 damage but it leaves you right in their face at +4.

a couple of the more notable ones are
mitsu 22B
ivy 2A+B
pyrrah/omega 44B+K

i'll eventually have a list of all of the -9 to -10 FC moves that we can punish. -8 is possible to on things like mitsu/yoshi 4KB, but that window is TIGHT. better off trying to JG the 2nd hit.

Couple of questions:
1)
Favourite "footsies" moves? Like random pokes while both characters are just walking around?
A, B, A+B, 1K, 4A, 6A+B? 66A and 22A for fishing perhaps. (I took a look at the top 10 moves thread, but wanted to ask explicitly with poking in mind)

2)
Can someone comment on her BT game? Setups for BTing yourself and the mixup afterwards (PO or otherwise).
4A+B6, PO BE, K is the obvious one, but with all the gimmicks in this game, there must be other useful (if situational) BT/BT PO setups.

thanks~

Couple of questions:
1)
Favourite "footsies" moves? Like random pokes while both characters are just walking around?
A, B, A+B, 1K, 4A, 6A+B? 66A and 22A for fishing perhaps. (I took a look at the top 10 moves thread, but wanted to ask explicitly with poking in mind)

2)
Can someone comment on her BT game? Setups for BTing yourself and the mixup afterwards (PO or otherwise).
4A+B6, PO BE, K is the obvious one, but with all the gimmicks in this game, there must be other useful (if situational) BT/BT PO setups.

thanks~

Natsu generally is not a "poke" -oriented character due to her lack of range on her safer moves. A+B and 66K are too unsafe to use as pokes unless you know that they'll hit such as counterattacking and opponent's step. If you're not in close, you can try to poke with 66AB, 22A or 66B. When in close I find 6A+B4 a little risky as a poke since majority of my opponents love to always whack me out of possession (which they know is an obvious small opening for counterattack). Instead try 6KA, 6B, AA6, or 4A.

Instead of poking in the general sense with Natsu, try to fish for CH's with 22A, 22K, WR K, or 22B. If the opponent doesn't come to you, threaten them with HOV A+B. If they approach you, nail them with A+B, 22A or a midrange 4A+B6.

Natsu has an alright BT game, but I wouldn't really rely on it. Her good BT moves are BT B+KK, BT PO K, BT A+B and BT 8A+B. BT A+B is great for its speed and the small launch that allows for a free 66B BE. BT 8A+B seems to catch opponents off guard surprisingly well and is usually my BT move of choice. BT B+KK is generally only set up after a 4B+K reverse stalker. If your BT B+KK is blocked, you can try a BT PO K, but most opponents know that that is your only option out of BT PO and will block you.

My recommended BT moves are BT 8A+B and BT A+B overall. Thanks to B+K, 22/88B+K, and 4B+K, there are numerous ways to get around your opponent and annoy the fuck out of them, which naturally is Natsu's specialty

Back