New SOULCALIBUR Title at E3? *EDIT: Hah! Nope

• Admin
The rumor mills are spinning! With the Facebook Popularity Poll ending last week, people have been wondering if Namco was about to unveil a new SOULCALIBUR title this year at E3. After all, Lost Swords is over a year old now, and was single player only. A new mothership SOULCALIBUR title tends to come out every 3-4 years, so now would be the time to get this party started.

While E3 opens to the public on Tuesday, the event actually begins for the press on Sunday. With the Microsoft keynote airing on Monday morning, and Sony during the evening, we could know the details within the next few days. So be sure to stick to 8WAYRUN to hear the news; as we will try our best to keep you all updated with the relevant information.

In the meantime, lets talk. What do you want out of a new SOULCALIBUR game? What are your expectations? New characters? Guest Characters? A complete reboot to bring back the older characters?

Personally, with Talim winning the popularity poll; I expect her to be in the next title. Hell, the biggest reason I stopped playing SOULCALIBUR was because Talim wasn't in the recent game. Talim is the reason I play fighting games at all. muh talim @BrewtusBibulus and @NeoOutlaw used to come over to my place and play SOULCALIBUR on the Dreamcast; and I was just never into it. It wasn't until Talim in SOULCALIBUR II where I actually got into fighting games.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Oh and one more thing. Let's be at least a little realistic with weapon sizes and proportions. I love Siegfried and Nightmare but their swords should be slimmed down a bit. Nobody is swinging a 200 lb sword regardless of having a monster claw arm. At least Astoroth has an excuse, He's got the size to match his weapon.
Sure, swords with personalities are so realistic :D If one side needs to be realistic, every side needs to be too. It's a fantasy game, it's ok to have huge swords, that's pretty much a must in fantasy games.

Oh and one more thing. Let's be at least a little realistic with weapon sizes and proportions. I love Siegfried and Nightmare but their swords should be slimmed down a bit. Nobody is swinging a 200 lb sword regardless of having a monster claw arm. At least Astoroth has an excuse, He's got the size to match his weapon.

You're coming at this from the wrong angle.
Why make swords smaller, when you could make Siegfried and Nightmare bigger?

Namco, if you're reading this STOP, just get back to work on the game already.
I don't think they'll pay much attention to this website for fan feedback.At least i hope they don't.
They'll get feed back from the FB page,most likely.

My little wishlist
1) Have a story like SCIII!! The story mode of SCIII was great, so many different paths to take, button inputs for cutscenes, multiple endings for one character! It was just so fully fledged and great!
1a) A story mode for CAS characters too or/and Chronicles of the Sword mode.
2) Individual endings for Arcade! Including an ending for CAS characters depending if they're good/evil/neutral.
3) A better CAS. I loved SCV's CAS it was a big step-up from SCIV.. I would love to have the option to pick facial features like a different nose, eyes, lips etc... Or even sliders. And like @Soul said more than 50 slots please!
4)The return of Critical Edge, that's it, no brave edges I don't like them. I would rather them be just inputs like SCIV where skill is required and not dumbed down to brave edges in SCV.
5) The return of the guard impact, no just guards from SCV. I want Guard Impacts, Just Impacts, Parries, low guard impacts/just impacts/parries.
6) No more than one mimic character. Having three mimic characters in SCV was just so lazy!
6a) No more clone characters. Most of the successors in SCV where clones of previous characters (like Natsu) these characters are not really needed so ether remove them or if they are brought back make them very different from the character they're supposed to be succeeding.
7) The return of old characters! (Which obviously is happening) but still it's on my list. I do like some of the new characters, and I want some of them to return, but alongside old characters!
8) Don't dumb characters down. I know many people complain about "broken" characters, and yes I understand that some characters do need to be dumbed down. But, I much prefer Ivy from SCIV than her SCV incarnation. It was much more complex and you needed skill to use her properly, in SCV she was really nerfed I mean, even her orignal grab from SCI was turned into a brave edge (same with Cervantes). Even Hoshino has said himself that he prefers how complex SCIV was.
9) Increase the speed to SCIII standards or leave it the same as SCV. SCIV was slowed down from SCIII even the games before SCIII where slow. Keep the speed up please!
10) This is most probably unlikely but.... Returning voice actors (plus more) for creation. I like making fan characters, so keeping the same voice actors is a must for me (I have had the same fan characters since SCIII and they've had a different voice in each game which is annoying - except for Stephanie Shea's voice -)
10a) Also keep the same faces for creation and add more, and like I said before add more customization for them.
11) Have 1P/2P costumes in creation (As DLC or already in the game). I love being able to use them costumes/hairstyles so I hope they keep doing it!
11a) Have old 1P/2P costumes as DLC ether as creation parts or for the actual characters themselves as 3p/4p etc costumes.
12) And finally, the characters who must return for me:
Sophitia :sc4sop1:
Cassandra :sc4cas1:
Pyrrha :sc5pyr1:
Viola :sc5vio1:
Amy :sc4amy1:
Tira :sc4tir1:

And that's pretty much it :) Not much huh?

I realy don't give a f**k about costumes , characters , create a character bull**** ... i just wanna new SC game ...

Reactions: CFW
Y-you cheated on me with echhi-centered-cashgrab-F2P, but... but i still love you and forgive you, just come back. I don't demand great story, 40+ character roster, totally lagless online or perfect CaS, just... just come back, you, idiot.
From SomeRandomHuman to SoulCalibur.

1. Return of a hawt and older Talim (we need some ppl to age after 17 yrs Kappa)
2. Buff Raph and give him his sc2 personality and old moves back. Also, stop with the creepiness.
3. ;A; DON'T KILL MUH ZWEI
4. Good netcode.
5. No more CE

My wishlist:
*Slip Out (or similar) stage for (Extra) VS mode pleaase! :P
* A slot for randomly created characters (colors of the equipment, hair, skin etc. should also be randomized).
* :sc4cas1:
* A tutorial mode similar to the one in SCIII where Olcadan teaches you the game mechanics.
* Meterless GI.
* Character's stats unaffected by their equipment.
* A functional voice editor (pitch and tone) in Character Creation.
* Less equipment clashing, or overlapping, or whatever it's called.
* SCIII style Story Mode with interactive cutscenes, hidden (NPC) characters, secret stages, stages with twists (like in SCII Weapon Master Mode)...
* A wide range of environments (preferably with some dynamic stages added into the mix).
* Bigger Command Lists.
* No need for meters/charges/Critical moves, in my book.
*Museum Mode.
* Non-linear system for unlocking equipment, characters, weapons, artwork, titles, etc. I like the way SCIII handled unlocking stuff - some of it could only be unlocked by playing CotS, or ToS, or that Tutorial Mode mentioned above; some of it was unlocked automatically, while a portion of the unlockables needed to be purchased (with in-game currency - TAKE NOTE).

Why do people want bigger command lists? Why ask for 150 moves when most players will use half of them?

That and why the appeal for Talim? What about her makes her so amazing? Lolis?

And what's the deal with black people? They're not black and they're not people.

I wasn't going to make a wishlist, but at this point I feel like there needs to be something to offset the current trend of awful opinions here.

Things that are of most importance to the quality of the game:

DO keep the game fast. Don't regress to SC4 speeds. This primarily means two things:
  • Keep defense active (movement/JG/GI/counterattacking rather than statue blocking)
  • Prefer to keep moves on the safe side (viz., don't make pokes stab-punishable like in SC4).

DO keep movement both rewarding and risky. That means high evasion with no step-guard.

DO keep the categorical differences between moves and, relative to SCV, accentuate them further. This means three things, mainly:
  • 8WayRun attacks should be better from 8WayRun than from neutral (in SCV, a 10-frame penalty on 8WR moves done from neutral accomplishes this; while this implementation works, I'm more concerned with the principle.).
  • Horizontals should be weaker than verticals but catch step.
  • Verticals should be stronger than horizontals but not catch step.
Additionally, rethink the role of body (K) attacks. Currently, they're a dumping ground for moves that are almost entirely mechanically unrelated.

DO keep JG. The mechanic has absolutely proven itself to be a valuable addition.

DO keep meter and guard bursts. These mechanics add considerations to the game that lie between short-term tactical decisions (predicting the opponent's immediate action) and long-term strategical decisions (exploiting the opponent's general tendencies), a domain that was previously occupied solely by stage positioning.

DO NOT repeat the mistake of designing characters that function drastically "outside the box". For justification, one needn't look further than any of the following characters:
  • SC4 Hilde (charge mechanic)
  • SC4 Algol (projectile mechanic)
  • SCV Viola (projectile/"two-fighter" mechanic)
  • SCV ZWEI ("two-fighter" mechanic).
All of whom were disastrously imbalanced in their first iterations. Novelty and variety are both commendable goals, but balance has a significantly greater impact on the game's longevity.

DO rework the clash and trade mechanics. This is a rough edge in SCV that ought to be smoothed out with simple, consistent rules.

DO aim for good stage variety. Infinite stages and stage transitions were a nice step forward.

Minor things that should be improved or fixed:

DO NOT forget to add button select to the character select menu this time.

DO make armor-break optional or possibly remove the system. As it is, it does nothing for either the competitive or the casual demographics, and all of the good characters (Aeon) are practically naked already.

DO NOT add CaS-only styles like Devil Jin, because they just end up going to waste. As a full-fledged character, it would have been useable in both CaS and competitive play.

Things that I personally want, but which needn't be priorities:

Release a PC version. I positively loathe the notion of having to buy a PS4 or Xbone just to play one game that refuses to be released on a sensible platform.

As always, I might think of more things later to add.

This should be the standard.

Why do people want bigger command lists? Why ask for 150 moves when most players will use half of them?

That and why the appeal for Talim? What about her makes her so amazing? Lolis?

And what's the deal with black people? They're not black and they're not people.

Ignoring the Talim part (come on, she risked her life to save a child), what about black ppl not being ppl?
(= ̄. ̄=)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back