Nightmare General Discussion/Q&A

it's definitely been posted before, but what are the go to guard break (depends on break move) and GI combos for nightmare? search bar didn't give me immediate results

Your best post-break combos are GS B and 4A. GS B carries further and leads to 109 damage. 4A, against most of the cast, is 112 and leaves them in a FDHT state, which gives you a 3B/2(k) mixup in the middle of the stage. Some characters though, like Nightmare and Maxi, won't give you a BT hit after 4A, which makes 4K BE not give you the same wakeup, so you would use GS B against those characters instead. The list of characters this happens to is small, though, and its more than worth it to learn who 4A doesn't work on.

Post-GI, your best options are GS B/4A for a slow move when you predict a reGI, 3B if they don't reGI, or 66b+k which is slow enough to beat immediate reGI, but still free after a GI.

For reGI, I actually like to do 44B NSS A+B 2A+B if I am not anywhere close to the wall or ring edge since with this combo I gain a whole brave edge. Nasty.

Your best post-break combos are GS B and 4A. GS B carries further and leads to 109 damage. 4A, against most of the cast, is 112 and leaves them in a FDHT state, which gives you a 3B/2(k) mixup in the middle of the stage. Some characters though, like Nightmare and Maxi, won't give you a BT hit after 4A, which makes 4K BE not give you the same wakeup, so you would use GS B against those characters instead. The list of characters this happens to is small, though, and its more than worth it to learn who 4A doesn't work on.

Actually with regards to using 4A after Guard bursting it depends on what move you use to break with. Characters like NM and Maxi will not be hit BT with 4K BE at close range but after guard bursting with BB, 66B, 4K, WS K, 44B (Those are the ones I remember atm), the opponent is pushed back far enough for 4K BE to hit BT.

it's definitely been posted before, but what are the go to guard break (depends on break move) and GI combos for nightmare? search bar didn't give me immediate results
By far the best option after guard break is to try and land a GS B, because GS B > GS B > GS K (BE) is huge damage for just one bar and rings out from massive range. If their guard is red, using moves 22A into GS or 66K into GS are good ways to try and fish for it, but it might get kind of obvious. If they see you fishing for a break with GS B, they can JG, GI, Sidestep, or try and attack to beat it out. So mixing up the options out of these moves earlier in set in vital to trying to land this when you most need it. However, if you can't manage to get into GS after a guard break, 3B, bA is my personal preference. about 1/4 to 1/3 of life for no meter and a knockdown. Can't go wrong with that. If you want to build meter you can always 44B (or iWR B) > A+B > 2A+B. I always like to have at least one meter with Nightmare if possible, just for the threat of CE.

After GI, 3AA and 3B are my attacks I use if I don't suspect a re-GI or if they don't have meter. If you suspect a re-GI, GS B is a great option. What I usually do though, is usually throw after GI because it's the safest option. I generally just GI in 50/50 situations so that I don't have to guess, and throws can bait them into using meter without having to worry about the throw not landing because they are in stun.

So about 33B GS cancel. I can't do it and I've watched the vid a good couple of times. What could i be doing wrong?

I tried doing 33B 6 b+k (for cancel) - and doing GS as is, doesn't work either.
I've my B+K set on a trigger button?

My method of doing it is as soon as you hit 33B quickly double tap B+K then hit guard. With practice enough nightmare should be able to guard a BB or if this is right....guard any i9 attack an above.

ah I see, it sounds like a timing issue, it can be very awkward. But ideally you want to use B+Kg as soon as NM Tech-Crouches during GS, or as EyeofCalamity has stated 'double-tap B+K'

Alright, guessing it requires some more training xD thanks

the only other thing I'd advise is to keep watching the video, look at what position NM is in when the cancel actually happens. After some training you'll eventually find a rhythm to it.

Has anyone tried whiff punishing with 1aK? I just played for first time in months and was trying different shit and 1aK seems to work sometimes.

The 1a series is very under utilised I think.

reasons why you should use 1aK as a whiff punisher:
  • you shouldn't

1aK's uses are very limited, and when I say limited, I mean its only fit for one purpose; predicting if your opponent will jump 1A. You'd be better off using 1A as a whiff punish seeing as they both have the same range and combo-ing into either GS B/GS K BE lead to better dmg and wakeup

It really depends on how you use your 1A's:
  • 1A/1A6 is easy to react to and unsafe on block and easily punishable/interruptable
  • 1(A) is much slower, but + on block
  • 1aK we've already discussed
you'll more commonly see 1A/1A6 being used as tech-traps after CH 6K or 66A

1a isn't easily punishable at tip range. 1a6 cancel isn't punished at all except maybe apat critical edge. 3b and 33b are preferred punishment but I was just throwing 1aK out there for something different.

1a isn't easily punishable at tip range. 1a6 cancel isn't punished at all except maybe apat critical edge. 3b and 33b are preferred punishment but I was just throwing 1aK out there for something different.

just the fact that 1A is punishable should be reason enough to be selective when using it, and I'm not exactly sure 1A6 ~ GS cancel carries the same benefits as 33B (may test this...if it does, I'm gon' abuse it :D, although it'll be unlikely).

Don't get me wrong thinking about things and trying out new stuff is good, if you wanna style on guys, by all means, it's just in hi-lvl play, this kinda stuff is likely to get you killed

Last edited:
Just experimenting with different ways to make use of moves not commonly used.

Just because something isn't safe by frame data doesn't mean it's not a good move. Frame data doesn't include push out on block etc.

Why would you whiff punish with 1aK? If you're looking for an alternative option why not iWR A?

Back