Nightmare General Discussion/Q&A

Not 100% no
When something is +2 on block like 66B, it means that your opponent has 2 frames of animation LONGER of a stun that you do. Ever notice both players are 'recovering' after both blocking an attack and attacking? Thats what O'm refering to.

If a move is, say for example 18 frames of impact, it means that you could literally pause the game and see a frame-by-frame of the whole move. The game runs on 60 frames per second.

Do you guys think JF: AGA is essential to playing the character? I seem to get a difference of opinion when I ask people.

Do you guys think JF: AGA is essential to playing the character? I seem to get a difference of opinion when I ask people.

Mastering JF AGA gives you access to a better control of your opponents guard guage; normal when you don't want to break them, JF if you do. It also gives you more damage when you absolutely need the KO. All this in exchange for being 1 frame slower than the normal aga.

Because of this, the JF isn't absolutely necessary, but aga itself is. JF aga is extremely useful in deep play though, and more than worth getting down.

Oh and can you do that GS cancel off of 66k too? Cancel the GS into block I mean.

You can cancel every GS entry, even neutral GS. Only 33B and 66A are made safe by the cancel though.

You can block the 1K with the GS cancel, not sure how early you'd need to cancel to have enough time to input CE but its probably not worth it.

Would 33B6 ~> CE be possible to stop opponent 1k during the GS transition? Even with GS cancel?
hmm..

I remember testing this, but I don't remember the results fully.

You can cancel fast enough to GI things that are around i16 I believe, but I'll re test it and update this post when I'm sure.

Turns out you can cancel fast enough to GI things that are i17 to i26. You can CE things that are i22 to whatever.

CE is affected by the -12 recovery when attacking from GS cancel, but GI isn't.

This probably has been mentioned before but I discovered that you can punish NSS stance transitions from 44B, wRB with 66k guaranteed.

I think there needs to be a list where spacing against certain characters should be limited.

Take, Hilde for example.. she completely dominates NM in the spacing game.
Patroklos's 66B kills backstep most of the time too.

I think there needs to be a list where spacing against certain characters should be limited.

Take, Hilde for example.. she completely dominates NM in the spacing game.
Patroklos's 66B kills backstep most of the time too.
not to mention Aeon's horizontals.
but in all honestly, in my "limited" experience with Hilde, I find if she's up close, then I expect her A's to catch step, so I try to stand firm. If I have some space, then I sidestep to avoid her B attacks, this is then that Hilde will try and come in a bit closer, this is where we have an advantage as our A's have longer range than hers

Probably mentioned already, but not in the MU thread.

Vs. Patroklos

-After blocking his 66A, it pushes back enough to a range where you can utilize NM's wtf grab range.
-The use of 9k should be more emphasized, as it is useful against his low mixup kicks and also doesn't give him a followup to his 66B combo when hit.
-The B in his 236 AB can be stepped, backstepped, which you can punish with a GSB. It can also be dodged by NSS and punished with NSS bA
-236A upon blocked can be punished by aGa, or 6A. Would recommend the latter due to the lack of errors upon input.
-His 236B can be punished by 4k BE
-The second B in his 6BBB combo can be ducked, allowing you to step the last B or punish with wrB.
-The success of this MU IMO is mainly based on how well you can react to his grabs and 1k's. Spacing is pretty much useless in this MU due to his 66B, 66A.

Also, I think 33B6 ~> GS cancel (maybe not needed) ~> 4BB is the best follow up as it does more damage than using GSB or 3B.

At first, I thought you were right after a couple of tries. But after trying to GS cancel fast enough, it still catches tech.
Uploading vid soon.

He doesn't try to tech either time. Test it for yourself if you don't believe me.
I think there's certain reasons why he doesn't try to tech, 3B and GS B (with the right timing), become tech traps;
  • 33B (GS cancel) ~ G ~ 3(B) ~ NSS b:A
  • 33B (GS cancel) ~ G ~ GS B ~ iagA (which may lead in wallcombos)
  • 33B (GS cancel) ~ G ~ GS B6 ~ GS B6 ~ GS K BE (which may also lead into wallcombos)
Which would result in bigger damage than the 4BB follow-up. it's about choosing the lesser of 2 evils

Back