Votes: 29 17.7%
  • New School

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Both

Votes: 107 65.2%
  • Anime? What's that?

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters
What mean you by sket dance ends? For a while, for the season, forever? The anime? And was there some announcement?

As for fillers, a little are fine but I'm starting to think it's not a bad idea at all for a show on the heels of its manga to just pull a bleach and say "well guys, we'll see ya later" I saw an episode of Fairy Tail with some jiggly butt dudes and I was like "yuuuuuuuup... FILLER TIME!". Not only is it a dignified option, there's also a lot of pressure taken off of your manga staff.

Well for Sket Dance, they said so in the last episode.

For fillers, for me they're always terrible. And I'd much rather have a break and get the next season started later than stupid shit that ruins the Anime.

No it wasn't, it was NEVER good. The entire first arc was mediocre, the animation specifically was awful because they wasted their budget on the movies. The pacing was bad, the show was bad without filler and than the filler continued to ruin it.
The 3 seasons of filler at the end of Naruto was better, hell still is IMO, than most of not ALL of Shippuuden . And ya that filler isn't that great.

Remember that awful Garra vs Deidara fight? It was AWFUL, it became a meme for a while to use for bad animation. And that style of animation was over half the show for a 100 or so episodes.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL
The only objective criticism you said was that the animation was bad. Which I can agree with. But you didn't really objectively explain why it's bad.

For example...Why I quit fairy tale the manga. Spoilers: They kept introducing villains, hyping them up to be really strong but in the end defeating them because of some supposed power of emotion. I quit the damn manga when I realized it was going no where special. The entire guild got attacked by a spell. The whole world assumed them dead for years characters that knew them aged, but then they reappear exactly the same...frozen in time I guess. I thought the writers could have really done something unique there....but they played it safe. So after that anticipation I wasn't about to continue with the same cycle again. Nothing special to see there. Also none of the characters had any real character development that was interesting enough to keep me interested.

The only objective criticism you said was that the animation was bad. Which I can agree with. But you didn't really objectively explain why it's bad.

For example...Why I quit fairy tale the manga. Spoilers: They kept introducing villains, hyping them up to be really strong but in the end defeating them because of some supposed power of emotion. I quit the damn manga when I realized it was going no where special. The entire guild got attacked by a spell. The whole world assumed them dead for years characters that knew them aged, but then they reappear exactly the same...frozen in time I guess. I thought the writers could have really done something unique there....but they played it safe. So after that anticipation I wasn't about to continue with the same cycle again. Nothing special to see there. Also none of the characters had any real character development that was interesting enough to keep me interested.
And from what i just read, there's nothing bad there because it's a SHOUNEN ANIME and almost all of them are really simple. Most play it safe too, safer than Fairy Tail. Hell it felt like i read every mainstream anime to date in that description.

Yet Fairy Tail is godlike, for what it is. To me it sounds like you're expecting a deeper thought provoking story from a show like this and that's where you're wrong.

Not to mention it was totally obvious that when the island disappeared they were gonna return the same, what else was gonna happen? It's FAIRY TAIL ISLAND, home of miracles and uber magic badassery with a guardian watching over them. Dang that sure doesn't sound like a safe house to me.

For SHITRUTO GAYPUUDAN, first off this is ANIME only, because i only talk about anime because i don't care about manga at all. ANIME, it's ANIMATION. If and when the animation and/or art work is sub par, or like Naruto here, TOTAL ASS than your show is bad. No ifs/ands/or buts about it. It's more so when you have a major god damn franchise like Naruto, no excuses. This was far actual story plots too. I can understand skimping down on a few filler eps or maybe an episode with mostly talking, but nooooooooooooooooo Naruto does it well over half the show.

And for the rest of it i'm not going to keep saying why Gayruto Poopuudan is bad. I've been saying it since 2007 on 30 different forums. If you want to know fucking google ANIMEFREAK6969, OR ANIMEFREAK OR IWATCH2MUCHANIME OR IW2MA and find it yourself.

Whether I think fairytale(manga or anime) is bad is besides the point. I didn't say it was bad. I pointed out things I didn't like about it. After following several shounen anime/manga, I saw no reason to invest into another long winded story with the exactly the same out dated formula. Especially when One Piece a much superior show is still running strong. I got far into the story but it wasn't going any where unique, it didn't stand out, so I dumped it. It's just another victim of Japans habit of regurgitating the same tired ass material.

I have never read the naruto manga. I started reading fairy tale before it aired as a show so I never followed the anime. Regardless, your only objective criticism for the show even in this recent post, is that the animation was poor.
Now I am not saying Naruto is better than Fairy tale, but I haven't actually heard any real criticism of why you think it's bad.

It's Fairy Tail man. And clichés are badass. I like it a lot. It's all opinion here. I'm aware the anime ain't that good at all, but I still follow it cause I'm a Fairy Tail fan. But the manga is very good. It's a true blue shounen. What's there not to like?
Also you say that Fairy Tail characters aren't interesting? Seriously?

Whether I think fairytale(manga or anime) is bad is besides the point. I didn't say it was bad. I pointed out things I didn't like about it. After following several shounen anime/manga, I saw no reason to invest into another long winded story with the exactly the same out dated formula. Especially when One Piece a much superior show is still running strong. I got far into the story but it wasn't going any where unique, it didn't stand out, so I dumped it. It's just another victim of Japans habit of regurgitating the same tired ass material.

I have never read the naruto manga. I started reading fairy tale before it aired as a show so I never followed the anime. Regardless, your only objective criticism for the show even in this recent post, is that the animation was poor.
Now I am not saying Naruto is better than Fairy tale, but I haven't actually heard any real criticism of why you think it's bad.
Because i told you to look it up yourself because i'm not doing the Naruto Is Bad thing again, hell i may have even done it somewhere in this thread.
One Piece is better than Fairy Tail lol, but Fairy Tail is just One Piece light. They're the same show, so there isn't really a reason to like or dislike one over the other because they do the same thing.

natsu_dragnell_x_portgas_d_ace_by_fres_on_li-d4dzt08.jpg

For SHITRUTO GAYPUUDAN, first off this is ANIME only, because i only talk about anime because i don't care about manga at all. ANIME, it's ANIMATION. If and when the animation and/or art work is sub par, or like Naruto here, TOTAL ASS than your show is bad. .

If you'll allow me to volunteer my thoughts? As a guy who has read a bit of the Naruto manga but never seen the show I can tell you this: The manga got problems. The first of which is the art style. It's terrible. Everything is muddy and flat. Maybe it's supposed to look like old medieval Japanese art or something, but it looks bad. Things look like they were drawn with fat magic markers. Objects, even people are constantly off model and even not fully drawn. It's like the artist said "awwww to hell with it, good enough" and stopped mid panel. There's random lines scribbled everywhere and backgrounds are lazy as all hell. The writing ain't great either, particularly and by his own admission, the author can't write women. I like some of the character's like Kakashi and Bee, but it's probably the worst big-name shonen running. I have never watched the anime just because I have so much trouble enjoying the manga. A panel:
naruto_c602a_004_zpsb93b7cec.png

Since I'm here I'm just gonna run down my feelings on the other big shonens in their manga forms. I actually think One Piece benefits a lot from it's transition to anime. Oda packs a lot of story in every panel but the art work is often jumbled, crowded and rough and some pages consist almost entirely of densely packed word bubbles. This isn't bad necessarily, it reminds me of old marvel comics, but it's not my favorite series to read for entirely aesthetic reasons. Oda seems fond of doing these "Where's Waldo" spreads where he crams 200 characters in a small space. I kinda like those, I kinda don't, but I will commend the man on his writing.

onepiece_c682a_004_zpsa70a78a2.png

It actually ticks me off when people say that Fairy Tail and One Piece have the same art style, actually they don't. Fairy Tail is far slicker visually the vast majority of the time. I like reading it, primarily because it's easy on the eyes. Sometimes it's author will go into rant mode similar to One Piece's author and elect to fill a page with text, but it still never gets as hard to make out what's supposed to be going on.

fairytail_c300a_013_zps5da46cf3.png

And finally we have my personal favorite series Bleach. Kubo has a degree in visual design and it shows, bleach always looks slick. It's only too bad Kubo never takes a break from fighting to let the characters live a little, he used to in the old days, I miss the old days. But I don't think the guy's a bad writer and I do like his occasional foray into darker subject matter. Ignoring Orihime's limited vocabulary he's also (conversely to the first entry) probably the best among his peers at writing women. Speaking of how he presents women I really like how he's got a wide range of body types represented. Too many series have universes that are chalk full of leggy models. Bleach manages to let buxom giantesses and petite flat chested girls all have representation and doesn't seem to view one as worse than the other.

bleach_c508a_014_zps5f78a2fe.png

bleach_c508a_015_zps6e78fd70.png

You understand that Fairy Tail and One Piece aren't the same only because Toei forced them to change it right. Toei was on the verge of suing The manga-ka of Fairy Tail and it's publication company for stealing Oda's style.
ODA himself jumped in and told Toei to quit it and let Fairy Tail go on, but make.... modifications lol.
Again for the anime only. All i know is the manga has gotten a lot of talk about it looking, being, feeling just like One Piece lol

The style is still very, VERY, similar, only being that Fairy Tail adds more of the modern style of art design to it because it IS newer. Meaning One Piece would most likely look like Fairy Tail if One Piece was created more recently, as Fairy Tail was.
One Piece is still airing but they don't change for nobody, especially since it's the BIGGEST ANIME OF ALL TIME and almost single handedly keeping the anime industry alive.... so they just have Oda's style since it's what works.

Other than that, cool stuff there. Bleach looks awesome in manga form it seems and Fairy Tail looks..... the same lol, i'd say so does Sanji but i can't see jack shizz right there.

also i literally didn't understand what that Naruto segment mean't at all from that.

I actually enjoyed the Naruto manga for a long time (I never really enjoyed the Anime. It always felt like it was on the brink of getting to the "good part" and then just never got there). Until recently I thought it was a lot of fun, but the last arc or two have been garbage. Everything is awful about them, from the writing to the art to the fights, which is all the manga is about. Naruto's plot is straight out of a video game and I hate hate hate it, which stinks because the way that characters fight in that series is so cool and very difficult to imagine unless you live in the artist's head, but there is no believable way that any of it gets set up.

Bleach, I honestly don't see what you see in the writing Jon. The art is very good in Bleach, which is a big plus, but I just don't care about anything that is happening ever.

Fairy Tale, started the manga and stopped because it just bored me to death. I hear the anime is better but I don't really watch anime anymore.

One Piece, best shonen manga and anime ever made in my opinion. Great writing, super fun, the best characters ever, etc. It has never let me down.

Bleach, I honestly don't see what you see in the writing Jon. The art is very good in Bleach, which is a big plus, but I just don't care about anything that is happening ever.

To each their own amigo. Just... spell my name right. Lol.

The spellcheckers on android phones and apple tablets always cut the "H" out of my name... This makes me sad.

So many blanket statements.
Realize that you didn't actually criticize the naruto anime as much as you criticized the manga art style. As far as your comment about the writers lack of ability in writing females. That's an attribute 90% of the anime/manga out there share. The females portrayed by many of these writers are fabricated for the male fantasy. Nothing about them even in the slightest is realistic. Very rare is a good female character written in anime/manga. Most of that shit is unapologetic fan service.

I never judge a lot of the manga I read on the art style. My favorite manhwa I am currently reading is Tower of God. You can check out that presentation for yourself.

Fairy tale and One piece have similarities sure. But the overall projects are very different. The world of One piece is always surprising me. Unlike Fairy Tale the direction of One piece to me is unpredictable. The writers take us on this great adventure, because the universe is very extensive, there's always a sense of anticipation for the next arc. The art design especially the environments, sky island, water seven, impel down, the island of gays, the island of women etc is mind blowing. The plot, the government, the navy, the pirates, the history, the powers, the warlords, the will of D... etc is fairly deep and filled with potential. There's a lot of shit going on and a ton of possibilities in the One piece universe. Besides the main character's story of becoming the great pirate king, there is a lot of power struggles with different factions in the background.

Fairy tale doesn't have these factors going for it, at least in any compelling way. It's fairly light hearted in character design and story. It doesn't have the same level of comedy or impact in dramatic moments. The characters in One piece are memorable (specific laughs). I can remember every final boss in each One piece arc, for fairy tale I remember two. The last one before I quit, and the reincarnating character with the tattoo. Pretty forgettable, partly because the writers build up this great villain only to throw him under the bus just to finish an arc. Down playing the entire mood that was presented before the climax. You wonder what was ever scary about him anyway.

One piece builds up every arc, with anticipation. The pacing is perfect for you to understand why this son of bitch needs to die. Some villains I straight up hate in one piece, the celestial dragons for example. There's a struggle and finally a climax. Everything is fleshed out that by the end the audience is satisfied, and is ready to continue the journey.

And the character growth in One piece is far far superior. It goes without saying

Fairy tale got old quick, because I had to compare it to a magnitude that is one piece. They say emulation is the highest form of flattery. But I say don't try to emulate something great only to half ass it.

Now you might like it, but like most people in this thread you're not objective about what you like or hate. You have no specifics and that's fine I guess.

And everything i just read seems like a lie because Fairy Tail tends to build on all of those things just like One Piece does, with an (almost) equally fascinating world both in design and story. The only major difference being it's magic instead of fruit. Even the characters, both good and bad, tend to act and feel the same as Oda's masterwork of characters. It literally has the same kind of comedy, same kind of build, same kind of action, same kind of hype directing, same kind of character development albeit much faster and not quit as in depth..... same look.

BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME. Only with sweet Celtic Rock music.

The only major difference is that One Piece is a journey while Fairy Tail isn't. Fairy Tail world, as a planet is accessible to anyone while One Piece is unknown for most of the general populace. Yet both still find their reason to have their unimaginable, fantastical, beautiful unknown sections of the world, people and powers.

Fairy Tail = One Piece - originality

one_piece_and_fairy_tail_resemble_14_by_sheng_fu-d4imw5a.jpg

So many blanket statements.

Realize that you didn't actually criticize the naruto anime as much as you criticized the manga art style.

If you'll allow me to volunteer my thoughts? As a guy who has read a bit of the Naruto manga but never seen the show I can tell you this: The manga got problems. ... I have never watched the anime just because I have so much trouble enjoying the manga. ... Since I'm here I'm just gonna run down my feelings on the other big shonens in their manga forms.

King, don't treat me like I dont know what I'm doing man. I think you misunderstood my intent here. Realize that I never even intended to talk about the anime. I only focused on the art work because you guys started talking about the animation quality/art and both of you admitted you hadn't read the manga. I was not even arguing with you. Unless you're going to say you think the art is good, lol. Honestly though I don't care what you think about the anime, nor do I personally have any opinion on the naruto anime as I find it difficult to actually form opinions on things I know nothing about. If you guys want to fire guns at each other, fine. I'm not on anyone's "side" though, I just wanted to show you guys what they looked like. I was also not talking about 90% of mangas, I was talking about these 4 series in particular. And don't compare a series that gets praise for it's writing to Naruto.

I don't get how someone who don't read manga can ever criticize one said author's art style. That is absurd. In Fairy Tail some characters barely look what they do in the manga (Erza especially). And I'll say it one more time, it's Fairy Tail already, not "fairy tale".

Back