Official Soulcalibur V Post-EVO 2012 Rule Changes!

• Admin
EVO has just passed... Usually, we wait till after EVO before we start making sweeping changes to the community ruleset, as EVO usually marks the end of the tournament season. Well its that time again and here we go. These changes have been in discussion for several months and these are the final decisions I have come up with based on advice from various community leaders.

Set Construction:
  • 3 out of 5 matches in ALL SETS (even finals)
With the speed of Soulcalibur V and how quickly matches can end, it was determined that 2 of 3 in preliminary sets was a bit too quick. MLG has adopted a 3 of 5 in all sets system and the community has appreciated the lengthier battles. Because of this, the community has decided to adopt the MLG set construction. Naturally, we will not be adopting MLG's "extended-series" system.

Infinites:
  • All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational, and thus should be treated as a "ring out". Ring outs are not "broken", if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.
  • Viola Back-Throw Infinite is BANNED!

As you can see in the above video, a single back throw can lead into an easy infinite with repeated back throws. For this rule to be enforced, we have decided that only ONE back-throw will be permitted in sequence.

In addition to this, we will not be permitting Viola back-throw resets! This becomes a "dicey" situation which would be impossible to enforce, so we are simply banning the reset. If a Viola player does a back-throw, waits for a reset, and then does a back-throw reset immediately after, it will be treated the same as the back-throw infinite.

So to sum it up:
    • back-throw > back-throw = BANNED
    • back-throw > reset > back-throw = BANNED
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.

The Official Tournament Ruleset wiki page has been updated to reflect these changes:
http://8wayrun.com/wiki/tournament-ruleset/

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Rather than trying to ban all bullshit in this game, how bout we bitch non-stop to Namco to patch it asap. Do you think your voice won't be heard? Get on twitter, facebook, email, phone, whatever. If enough people bitch, it will get done. If there is absolutely no hope for a patch... THEN you can have self-appointed dictators make up rules.

I really dont like how this is making the Soul Calibur V community look though. Tekken has NEVER had this much saltiness in one thread lmao.
Yeah call me out if you want, I don't care quite frankly.

But anyways, it's a shame how the moment a gamebreaking bug is discovered there is always that one person who abuses it making everyone everyone pissed and shit. Although I agree that the Viola Bug needs to patched immediately, it all boils down to what the players do about it being in game still. Personally, I believe that Toki kid should have been removed from EVO for exploiting the bug in the first place and I don't have respect for him. If you need to do a bitch move to win, how good of a player does that make you? Yeah it's a tournament and you want to win but still, fair and square SHOULD BE your motive, it's just a fucking game.

I really dont like how this is making the Soul Calibur V community look though. Tekken has NEVER had this much saltiness in one thread lmao.
Yeah call me out if you want, I don't care quite frankly.

But anyways, it's a shame how the moment a gamebreaking bug is discovered there is always that one person who abuses it making everyone everyone pissed and shit. Although I agree that the Viola Bug needs to patched immediately, it all boils down to what the players do about it being in game still. Personally, I believe that Toki kid should have been removed from EVO for exploiting the bug in the first place and I don't have respect for him. If you need to do a bitch move to win, how good of a player does that make you? Yeah it's a tournament and you want to win but still, fair and square SHOULD BE your motive, it's just a fucking game.

Dude Tokido is a well established fighting game player. He is not "some kid". Also if it is legal it is fair game. There is tons of broken shit in this game, no top player is going to purposefully not use it to their advantage. The infinite is a different story because most people realize it is a dick move, but then that is why people banned it in the first place.

Anyone who says it was Partisan's fault for getting hit by the infinite should go fuck themselves
I've said it. And I'll still say it.

The fact of the matter is that the infinite was well known prior to Evo, and it was also known that it wouldn't be banned. And it was also known that Tokido, the player who was notorious for using it at MLG, would be there.

Any player who was planning to go to Evo with the intent to win should have looked into it. They should have studied all the possible setups for it so that they could be actively aware of them, or at the very least prepared a counterpick, which I know Partisan could have as he has a very good Astaroth.

The fact his opponent had to use it *facepalm
You can't hate on Tokido for using it either. It was perfectly legal and and legitimate. It would be stupid for any Viola player to not use it at Evo. Evo is not about playing with "honor" or "respect", or even about being fair. It's about WINNING and that means by any means necessary so long as it's not against the rules, which the infinite wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the infinite as I dislike it and wanted it banned also after having Tokido spend 40 seconds doing it to me in a walled stage at MLG. I'm just stating facts.

Honestly my defense in the match could have been FAR better, but the fact that there are things like 44A BE putting you in BT leaves a certain margin for error.

Nobody I've played against until Tokido has used or gone for the backthrow infinite. There is only so much you can prepare for when you aren't familiar with/haven't seen how it's set up, where it combos, etc...

But who am I kidding? I got hit! Next time (not really) I'll stop scrubbing it out and never get hit in my matches!

Either way this is behind us now and I know where I stand on this subject (and the game as a whole).

P.S My SCV Astaroth is complete garbage.

Yeah it's a tournament and you want to win but still, fair and square SHOULD BE your motive, it's just a fucking game.
It is money, technically. People aren't playing for handshakes. (Tokido ain't playing for handshakes.)

Anyway, if you weren't going all out and using every dirty cheap move at your disposal, really- you're disrespecting your opponent. Somehow you think they're not worthy of your best.

Because- there are players out there who will see your cheap stuff and brutally shut it down without blinking an eye. It's just part of the game.

The way I see it is- Tokido used a backthrow infinite. Good on him, techniques exist to be used. I would've been cheap like that too if it were me, no doubt.

Is it right? Probably not. Those decisions should be made by tournament organizers and community leaders. But it was legal at the time, so it was well within his right to do so.

If it wasn't banned right now, shades from the sky deal with it, people would just have to hit the lab and train around it. That's just how it is.

If "cheap" leaves your lips and you're not taking that and applying it to your own play- you're limiting yourself.

Tokido snip

Do you know him personally enough to shout him out like that anyways? He can be the best SCV player in the world, but that doesn't make him a great player either. Obviously morals aren't been a thing you're big on. If your a great Soul Calibur V E-Sports Player you shouldn't have to use a guaranteed infinite combo to win. Enough said. There is a thin line between what's fair and unfair and if this combo destroys all possible health it should be banned and/or the player should be removed from the tourney.

It takes no skill like a KoF infinite, it's likely a CH 44A BE will hit on the side in a fight, its dirty. And @Oofmatic I do understand the dog eat dog environment a tournament provides to the participating persons but when the object of the game can be taken from the opposing player like that it presents a problem. It takes away from the overall enjoyment of the game and fans will be enraged. Immediate action should have been taken at EVO.

I'm wouldn't play for handshakes either but there has to be some level of respect you have got to have when going into things - you don't know who could be watching.

Maybe a person's best is a clean fight.

Lmao that isn't a technique.

Legal or illegal the deciding factor in my opinion was that it was wrong and you said it yourself, but also something should have been done about that whole thing in general.

Fooling around with "technique" like that and to that degree is cheap. And if I'm limiting myself, then it'll just be my problem.

Honestly my defense in the match could have been FAR better, but the fact that things like 44A BE can put you in BT there is only so much you can prepare for.

Nobody I've played against until Tokido has used or gone for the backthrow infinite. There is only so much you can prepare for when you aren't familiar with/haven't seen how it's set up, where it combos, etc...

But who am I kidding? I got hit! Next time I'll stop scrubbing it out and never get hit in my matches!

Either way this is behind us now and I know where I stand on this subject (and the game as a whole).

P.S My SCV Astaroth is complete garbage.
I understand your saltiness, but just because nobody has used it on you prior to him doesn't excuse you. You should have known about it from MLG streams/players and the forums.

You haven't seen its set ups or combos? That's no excuse either. You could have found them in training or in the SA's.

Your Asta is garbage? Well you could have made him not garbage by training him up prior to Evo.

If its legal, then you do it. There is no such thing as "Morals" in a tournament. You don't pick low tier just cause you think its morally wrong to choose a good character.
Why don't we just ban ring outs. Those are cheap.
Oh so are walls and wall combos.
So are combos.

FINAL DESTINATION FOX ONLY! LETS GO!

What does "butthurt" mean?

What y'all fail to understand is that I'm not talking shit about mindgames, throw mix ups, lows, wall combos, tech traps and etc. because it's bound to happen, that's what SC is. I'm talking specifically about the Viola back grab infinite only, not anything else

Well I'm not making excuses. No matter how I look at, I lost and nothing will change that.

As for everything else, it's w/e. Prior to EVO I have only heard of the infinite from word of mouth and haven't seen it in game save for a handheld camcorder demonstration in training mode.

Not much else to say at this point so I guess I'm out!

Anyway, the ruleset posted here on 8wayrun.com has always been a guideline, and organizers can chooses whether to follow the recommendations or not, but the thing we can't do is nothing because who knows how long it would be for another patch to come out for this game if any.

Also, the rule changes have been discussed for a while, so it wasn't some secret that was being kept from anyone. I wish something could have been done about the Viola infinite before EVO, but obviously the rules aren't going to be changed a month prior, nor did anyone make a big stink about it to the EVO staff.

I wish this particular announcement was posted in a nicer manner, but I'm not going to lose sleep over that because I'm still upset over the fact that people are riled up about an announcement on tournament rule changes but not the fact that people don't go to tournaments for this game, and haven't been for quite some time.

If you like the changes, great. If not, you'll be fine since they're just a guideline, organizers do what they want anyway, and most just play this game online. But this thread is mad ugly though.

Ninja Edit.

Chickenwing said:
i just want you to know...Normally i would troll people hard on that rule change thread. But i don't have a computer and therefore can't post how i felt.

However, i do want to have this posted because i feel i am also entitled to my opinion good sir. (your choice, nonetheless)

As i read over everyones posting and bitching and arguing. I can't help but to grab some popcorn and enjoy reading this wonderful script of a movie called "Soul Calibur Community desctroys itself, Part 3"

A few things...if i may
  1. No one stepped up to take control of the community in SC3, SC4, and in SC5 other than Jaxel. So stop bitching about why he makes rules.
  2. Regarding the Viola infinite and why people oppose the ban
    1. You're an idiot to think that people are going to have Asta, Voldo, or ZWEI as a 2ndary so they can avoid that. It's just easier that to get rid of something stupid that SHOULDN'T belong to the game. If that were the case, then ZWEI's A+G throw should be an infinite. Honestly i believe that how they(namco) indended it to be to where i get something i16 or fewer free.
    2. I don't know why you're bitching about the ban to begin with, it's not like it was a huge, ugly debate that killed SC4.
  3. I've always suggested the idea that 4 Major regions have a TO that will run things, and every now and then come together and gather data, research what's dumb and whatnot. Then come-up with a consensus on what our rules should be. So far, everyone is playing the current ruleset and you have few people bitching about the rules enforced by ONE MAN. Again, you have a problem with it, then YOU run your region.
  4. Jaxel DID in fact ask alot of people about the current ruleset & viola infinite, i was one of them. I told him what i thought and we even have THREADS about the topics alone. So what i don't understand is how is people questioning the MAN when the COMMUNITY has already wanted to do away with it.
Other than that...please continue your..."objections". They're quite funny to read :)

Live streams

29 Viewers
Draethiox
Draethiox
It's that time again folks
23 Viewers
ButterzTheWolf
ButterzTheWolf
Chill Vibes only! POETRY READING and Cozy Games| 18+
5 Viewers
Shilderi
Shilderi