Official Soulcalibur V Post-EVO 2012 Rule Changes!

• Admin
EVO has just passed... Usually, we wait till after EVO before we start making sweeping changes to the community ruleset, as EVO usually marks the end of the tournament season. Well its that time again and here we go. These changes have been in discussion for several months and these are the final decisions I have come up with based on advice from various community leaders.

Set Construction:
  • 3 out of 5 matches in ALL SETS (even finals)
With the speed of Soulcalibur V and how quickly matches can end, it was determined that 2 of 3 in preliminary sets was a bit too quick. MLG has adopted a 3 of 5 in all sets system and the community has appreciated the lengthier battles. Because of this, the community has decided to adopt the MLG set construction. Naturally, we will not be adopting MLG's "extended-series" system.

Infinites:
  • All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational, and thus should be treated as a "ring out". Ring outs are not "broken", if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.
  • Viola Back-Throw Infinite is BANNED!

As you can see in the above video, a single back throw can lead into an easy infinite with repeated back throws. For this rule to be enforced, we have decided that only ONE back-throw will be permitted in sequence.

In addition to this, we will not be permitting Viola back-throw resets! This becomes a "dicey" situation which would be impossible to enforce, so we are simply banning the reset. If a Viola player does a back-throw, waits for a reset, and then does a back-throw reset immediately after, it will be treated the same as the back-throw infinite.

So to sum it up:
    • back-throw > back-throw = BANNED
    • back-throw > reset > back-throw = BANNED
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.

The Official Tournament Ruleset wiki page has been updated to reflect these changes:
http://8wayrun.com/wiki/tournament-ruleset/

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
I'm not an advocate for the ban. I just don't like people using flawed examples.
"I have this super sweet Apple. Here, try this Orange since its also sweet"

This post was so good...i had to quote it. wait....was that applying to MY post?!?!?! Shame on you sir.

If it was here is my response:

My only intention was to focus on what's more important for the franchise and tournament life of the game. (with some trolling mind you lol) Thus I tend to use FG's as examples only because they make the most sense. Any other person (since i've been asked to stop trolling, even though they make it so easy) who uses FPS or any other genre OTHER than FG's is utterly pointless. Either way, i think that most people here agree that it's a pretty dumb infinite. Situational or not, it's not allowed in the game. Now...as for the loops....i wanna see a vid because i'm curious about those *does a little SOUL searching* (get it.....SOUL.....as in SOUL CALIBUR 5....) lol.....and no, i'm not serious. I'm just @ home sick typing this from my phone.

I'm not an advocate for the ban. I just don't like people using flawed examples.
"I have this super sweet Apple. Here, try this Orange since its also sweet"

i wasnt really referencing u, i know u were just trolling the CoD example :P

Even with her infinite, Viola isn't considered to be the best in the game.

Unless you think she is the best in the game, there really isn't a reason to ban the infinite other than you don't like it. And that's not a good reason.

Even with her infinite, Viola isn't considered to be the best in the game.

Unless you think she is the best in the game, there really isn't a reason to ban the infinite other than you don't like it. And that's not a good reason.

Or the fact that you know...IT IS A FUCKING INFINITE. Just because it is situational does not mean it should be allowed, that is crappy logic. Being best in the game has nothing to do with things being banned, it has to do with the fact that it is an infinite.

So the only reason you're banning it is because it's an infinite? Do you have any experience with fighting games at all?

So the only reason you're banning it is because it's an infinite? Do you have any experience with fighting games at all?

Yes, they banned it because it is an infinite. Why else would they ban it?

If Aeon had an infinite it would be banned too. He wouldnt be top but the infinite would still have to go, for obvious reasons. Viola on the other hand is arguably a top 5 character, add in the infinite and it was just too much.

you should stop making an ass of yourself with those assumptions, you could simply ask around 8 way chat before putting your foot in your mouth next time

Or you could take my arguments with some merit instead of just calling me an ass. What did I say that was so 'foot in mouth?'

well my ability to detect sarcasm online is not so dull that I could not sense you are suggesting I am unfriendly, which is absolutely not the case, however if you werent being sarcastic, then my apologies, you are absolutely correct

your argument has no merit, when you lay out a single good point for why the infinite should be unbanned, then I will be very interested in what you have to say

Yes, they banned it because it is an infinite. Why else would they ban it?

If Aeon had an infinite it would be banned too. He wouldnt be top but the infinite would still have to go, for obvious reasons. Viola on the other hand is arguably a top 5 character, add in the infinite and it was just too much.

Forgot to reply to this and the previous one. Actually, how good a character is definitely factors into whether something should be banned. You seem to have some understanding toward this based on what I quoted.

If there was a character that was sub-par in every way but had an infinite that made the character arguably mid-tier, then that infinite shouldn't be taken out. It actually makes the character playable. That's excellent for fans of that character, and opponents have to learn to deal with a mid-tier character.

I understand that Viola is a very strong character with the infinite but is she too strong? As in, is she clearly the strongest character in the game? This is why it matters.

And this is also why you don't just ban an infinite for being an infinite.

well my ability to detect sarcasm online is not so dull that I could not sense you are suggesting I am unfriendly, which is absolutely not the case, however if you werent being sarcastic, then my apologies, you are absolutely correct

your argument has no merit, when you lay out a single good point for why the infinite should be unbanned, then I will be very interested in what you have to say

Well I did talk to you briefly at MLG Anaheim but I doubt you remember. You weren't mean then, even after you just lost.

Anyway, I don't think the infinite should be unbanned, actually. With all the trouble going into it's ban I don't want to re-create all of it just to get in unbanned when I don't think it's vital to the game in any way. I just don't think it should have been banned in the first place and I've already expressed why. If there's anything that's unclear please let me know.

Forgot to reply to this and the previous one. Actually, how good a character is definitely factors into whether something should be banned. You seem to have some understanding toward this based on what I quoted.

If there was a character that was sub-par in every way but had an infinite that made the character arguably mid-tier, then that infinite shouldn't be taken out. It actually makes the character playable. That's excellent for fans of that character, and opponents have to learn to deal with a mid-tier character.

I understand that Viola is a very strong character with the infinite but is she too strong? As in, is she clearly the strongest character in the game? This is why it matters.

And this is also why you don't just ban an infinite for being an infinite.

tiers become kind of subjective towards the top, so while I can claim viola is the best with the infinite, you can easily disagree and I could not prove it, no tourney results do not prove tiers, S tier characters do not win every tourney, so your whole argument resides on the fact that you do not believe viola is top tier, that is your belief, and cannot really be disproven, so this is a belief issue, but most people believe she is too good with her infinite, the fact is, the best viola players have NOT exploited the infinite, so your argument that since tokido did not win evo is invalid, just because I teach a 4 year old the infinite, doesn't mean they will automatically win, you also need to have good game fundamentals, just because it makes her broken and unbalanced doesn't mean she has an automatic win button

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back