Patroklos Q&A/Discussion Thread

Thanks for the feedback Drake!

I'm not giving up on him because I'm hell bent on learning a new character, damnit :) Pat seems pretty easy and straight forward. I find him somewhat interesting and that's the important part. I play characters by how fun they are to use, not on tiers. (not saying Pat is bad per se, just not top tier IMO).

I find that the more you enjoy said character, the more motivated you are to learn new things. Also pat's smug attitude is growing on me :)

Rushdown is something I need to get used to, because the characters I already play aren't really rushdown types but are more inclined towards spacing/turtling type of play (Sieg, NM, Astaroth).

I just have to think Cassandra, where I did indeed play an extremely aggressive in-your-face way of playing.

Normally I can't take his attitude but I find that if I make an outfit with a mask that covers his head so I don't have to see his face I can tolerate the things he says alot better. :p

Lately I've been having a blast with Pat. (My first step on the road to EDGE MASTERY!)

However one problem I've seen is, Misturugi's backstep move seems to beat EVERY OPTION WE HAVE if used correctly.

I'm also clueless on how to follow up 3B XD.

Help would be appreciated.

Lately I've been having a blast with Pat. (My first step on the road to EDGE MASTERY!)

However one problem I've seen is, Misturugi's backstep move seems to beat EVERY OPTION WE HAVE if used correctly.

I'm also clueless on how to follow up 3B XD.

Help would be appreciated.
By backstep move, did you mean 4B?

After 3B, there are so many options. 236B BE is my preferred move.

Best thing about Pat, is, you can pretty much go nuts on your opponent when you get close. I usually only find myself using 3B if I know it will hit and they have lowish health. Mostly because he has so many other things that don't require people to be launched that will keep your opponent standing still for you to eat at their health

3B can be followed up with 236K (best meter), 236B BE (good oki, additional combo potential near edges/walls), another 3B (decent meter and damage, untechable knockdown for dat oki), or CE (ringout, ~1000 damage).

As for countering Mitsu 4B, you have to predict it and sidestep. Then wait for it to whiff and punish it with 66B. If you step and attempt to punish it before it whiffs it will realign to you and interrupt your punish attempt.
On block it's only -12 so all you get is an AA if your back is to a wall/edge when you block it. Otherwise it's safe due to pushback. This is one of those moves I'd recommend practicing JG against, as it's not all that hard to JG on reaction and you get the free 66B easily without any if's/and's involved.

Legit. Entirely legit. Use sparingly, but it's legit.

66B is -2 on block, CE is i13. Buuuut CE is invincible from frame 11. meaning, to hit you out of it, they have to use a move i13 or less. Of course that doesn't always happen (i18 66AA there) so a lot of the time you win.

Entirely legit frame trap. Juece does it often to me with Ezio, with his -2 2K into CE. Annoying as hell, too.

I really like 44A blocked (another -2) into CE as well.

is this more legit than using 1B and doing the same thing? if not why? i dont really understand so much how frametraps work as far as legitimacy goes

is this more legit than using 1B and doing the same thing? if not why? i dont really understand so much how frametraps work as far as legitimacy goes
well, the thing is, people know that 1B is neutral on block, so you probably won't trick them into letting down their guard.

People either don't know that 66B/44A is -2, or they know that it's -2 but they know they have a slight advantage so they might choose to attack. The frametrap is a mental thing, it's a sequence of moves that suggests to the other player, "attack here". They do, they get trapped (hit).

1B is such a common frametrap that it stops being one when people notice. I mean, it's gimmicks, until you respect it, I get damage from it.

Like, Maxi LI K, you're not gonna hit me with anything after that, I might even JG your next move. Since, I know I'm not supposed to be attacking, so the trap doesn't work on me.

Basically, 1B > CE is too obvious. 66B > CE is pretty unexpected if you haven't seen it before.

2672362-facepalm_implied.jpg

How the hell did I miss that...

has anyone had 236B BE slide along the opponents hitbox but nothing happen?

idk the name of the move, but its the one Mitsu has that absorbs attacks. He was doing that move and i went for 236B BE to try and hit him first and Mitsu didn't absorb the hit or anything i just slide right by his side like i brushed past him. i've only had this happen once, but i thought i would ask to see if someone else has seen it happen before.

That's wonky hitboxes, it happens. I don't think it's a big deal with Pat, just don't drop the ball when it occurs.

Other characters (Siegfried?) have more problems with whiffing like that.

If you'd like to test the move in Practice, it's Mitsu's MST A+B.

Why japanese Patroklos Players tend to do 11K more than 1K??

Like they preffer 11K, and then continue their presure with 4K etc etc.

I mean 11K and 1K are both +2 on hit, why bother with 11K then??

Maybe because 11K is Tech crouch?

I added 1B BE's block frames to the wiki (-12) as they were suspiciously absent. I was also testing the JG frames but I got bored. It's at least -32 but less than -36 on JG if anyone wants to finish testing.

Why japanese Patroklos Players tend to do 11K more than 1K??

Like they preffer 11K, and then continue their presure with 4K etc etc.

I mean 11K and 1K are both +2 on hit, why bother with 11K then??

Maybe because 11K is Tech crouch?

Slade already aswer me this:
-1K on block is -18
-11K on block is -16

very good answer i think....but maybe somebody have another thought on this??

Some other differences between 11K and 1K:
11K is capable of ringouts while 1K is not.
11K has a tech crouch (which you mentioned) and ends in FC, which makes 236 moves faster (opponent can 2A to interrupt 1K → 236B but not 11K → 236B) and gives access to WR A+B to kill step afterwards.
11K appears to track better though I can't really back this statement up outside of personal experience.

Back