Prefer speedy or slow but powerful characters?

subsmoke

[10] Knight
I generally go for power characters over speedy ones in a fighting game. In Soul Calibur for me that's Astaroth. I think a good Astaroth player gets more recognition than say, a good Xianghua player because they are more common. Unless you play in tournaments for money and win almost every one you play in, you probably won't be able to pay the bills playing Soul Calibur, so it's mainly about recognition for me. I want to stand out and be known as a great player.

So what'll you guys have, speed or power?

Power requires tactical planning and missing no opportunities to swing momentum in your favor, but heavily rewards these with large damage and excellent opportunities to control space.

Speed requires the player to be able to constantly adapt and conform to whatever the current pace is, or in the rare case dictate the pace of those slower than yourself. Reaction time is a must to play this well.

There are also groups that fall in-between, like having mediocre power and speed but long range, or having speed and power, but no range. Then you have the one's that can perform all of the above at a high level, and conform to the style of the player in control, but aren't the highest category of any.

It's all up to how you feel like playing. There is no "right" answer. If you are skilled, you will be recognized eventually.

Well I wasn't really looking for a 'right' answer, I just wanted to know what you personally like.

I prefer to play speedy chars that still deal good dmg. I've tried astaroth and still faired well with him his knees and bullrush are still pretty quick attacks.

Well my favourite char is Raph; almost a complete equalibrium of speed, range, and power. I guess thats why hes my fav.

Siegfried is my Main. Excellent damage; awesome Soul Crush and damage power; strategical ring outs; and the best part: a complete set of stances for high level mind games.

I really doesn't care about speed or power... I like to play with the brain of the opponent so if I can find plenty mind games using some character(in this case my favorite character), then this gonna be my choice.

-Stryker-

Slow characters give you that warm and fuzzy feeling inside when you beat the shit out of random people like a total badass.

I've found that I'm not actually attracted to big, punishing characters like I thought. I'm into whatever's flashy, and Astaroth is definitely flashy. I discovered this when I found I really enjoy playing Captain Marvel and Green Lantern in Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe.

I prefer speedy and stylish

Like Taki who belongs to the fastest characters and looks really cool. Although She has to work hard for damage.
Have to hit like ten or 15 times to achieve what Asty does with like 2 moves. (In the worst cases)
But that's cool with me.

I prefer any character that is moderately fast, but also has a cool fighting style. For me, that's Amy. And Zalaslamel too, if I could do his counter hit moves consistently.

Psh.

Nightmare. Because +frames are for bitches.

LOL...Nightmare is my favorite too

but sometimes i prefer low tiers like Setsuka that is slow, have no much range, doesnt punish, unsafe as hell, bad low moves, short range.......... what a balanced char :D

I really believe the vast majority of wins are decided by mind games and the ability to frustrate/confuse one's opponent. I love anything that makes my opponent feel helpless and demoralized, like there's no right answer to their situation, even if there is. Really long (time-wise) throw animations and combos, or a great oki game can do this like nothing else can. What's even better is giving your opponent a choice, as in, say, a mixup, and making them repeat their mistakes. That gets under their skin like nothing else. Why do you think people whine about "spam" so much?

Thus, whatever character I feel I can have the most "control" with I usually go for. In SC I think Siegfried and Zasalamel fit that profile the best, though I've never managed to pick up Sieg very well.

Back