Preferred stage

Organous

[09] Warrior
I just got into a discussion about this with a friend, so I thought I'd take it here. What's your favorite stage to work with? Personally, I think the pirate ship is the most perfectly designed stage I've ever seen in the series. A full wall, full edge, 2 mostly breakable rails, and a floor that's big enough that all that could just as easily not matter. You can have your wall combos, your random screwup loss, and have to work a little bit for the rails (either lifting over them or breaking them off first). The only other stage like it is from Star Wars, but the floor seems a little small. The size could just be my perspective, though.

By the way, to anyone who suggests the closed-in stages, screw you.

The pirate ship is the most balanced stage overall concerning ring outs. My favourite stage is the closed one with all the glass windows. This has the best music, graphics, and no ring outs.

Speaking of which, I don't think ring outs are designed properly. Some characters can use different types of ring outs as a mixup in itself. What's the point? You can't judge who deserves to win like this. It makes me want to choose the window stage, but that is pointless if I'm just playing for fun... so random select it must be.

I like the stage with the gongs.
The music is cool(i wish there were more eastern style music in SC 4)
It's roughly rectangular and only the shorter sides have ring outs, one side is part open/part breakable, the other has a railing. A bit of everything. And enough place for wall combos.
I also like the smoke with the dragons in the background.
And it's totally funny when you smack people into the gongs.

The closed floor of the tower with the windows vincent mentioned is also very cool. With the lighting and all.

But i think they could have been more creative with the forms of the stages' bases.
The most are pretty boring. Just circular or square.
A stage with a 300-ish "this is Sparta" pit in the middle could be nice. I think SC 1 had something like that.

Or anything that's not just plain circular or rectangular.

Jyurakudai Villa is my favorite stage for 2 reasons. 1st It's really big and it's a beautiful stage. 2 It has RO capabilities but it's not small enough so that people who do nothing but RO's get them. Jyurakudai Villa also just has really nice calm music for fighting and i usually win every time i go there hahaha.

Speaking of which, I don't think ring outs are designed properly. Some characters can use different types of ring outs as a mixup in itself. What's the point? You can't judge who deserves to win like this. It makes me want to choose the window stage, but that is pointless if I'm just playing for fun... so random select it must be.

Only a few characters actually have a perfect 50/50 ringout mixup that isn't telegraphed, and that's Mitsu (2KB/3B), maybe Raph against a corner with his two throws, maybe Voldo with 236B/3BB, Hilde if you're right up against the edge with 2A+K and 4B+K, Asta up against the edge with 1K/Bullrush, Lizardman if you can't read 1K... and probably a few others. For most situations there is something you can do that will make it impossible for you to be rung out. Just always look where you are on the arena and act accordingly and you should be fine. Unless you play online.

Random stage is my favorite

I love the ice stage with that epic music. My favorite stage though, and what I consider to be a perfect balance of walls and ROs, is Cassandra's SCII stage. Not to mention unwavering resolve is an epic song to go with such a beautiful stage.

Only a few characters actually have a perfect 50/50 ringout mixup that isn't telegraphed, and that's Mitsu (2KB/3B), maybe Raph against a corner with his two throws, maybe Voldo with 236B/3BB, Hilde if you're right up against the edge with 2A+K and 4B+K, Asta up against the edge with 1K/Bullrush, Lizardman if you can't read 1K... and probably a few others. For most situations there is something you can do that will make it impossible for you to be rung out. Just always look where you are on the arena and act accordingly and you should be fine. Unless you play online.
I'm referring to offline, for sure. I understand your point about ring positioning. The fact is, though, if you are playing a certain individual for a set of matches (10 games, for example), and they rely heavily on ring out mixups, then many of their wins are won with little guesswork and you can see it in the statistics after each game. It might say that I have so many KOs and no ring outs, but meanwhile they have mostly ROs and few KOs. Based on this unclear result, you can't tell who deserved to win more. So playing in a closed stage eliminates some doubt, but the character balance is still shady with top tiers that it doesn't even matter. Fortunately, this game requires a lot of thinking and strategy so I'd rather appreciate that instead of who is better than who. It's absurd to act like match results are definitive evidence of a player's standing.

I like them all for different reasons (even the Star Wars ones) but my favorite two are:

Hall of the Warrior God; Ringouts, wall splats, breaking pottery, incense, room to move, and it's just too cool when you splat someone against a gong. LOL
Jyurakudai Villa; due to the cold air, beautiful background, and large arena.

Those two both feel like traditional training grounds for m.a.

I prefer random. If I have to choose a specific stage then I'm going with see-saw stage or the non-existent version of the Dodo stage that actually lets you smack them around.

Jyurakudai Villa.

Its just absolutely beautiful to me, lol. Its kind of like Setsuka is fighting for her home-town when I play her there, gives me more reason to win! Huzzaaaaarrrrrhhhh

The Dodo level because the dodos are awesome and there is a good balance of wallsplat and RO opportunity in it. Also the Egyptian Temple because i love wallsplats and hate RO xD and i guess sailors rest and the ice level are good ones to

Wow, someone actually prefers the super RO stage. I guess some people would. I also prefer to just go random, but I absolutely love it when the ship comes up. Among cage stages, though, I'd prefer a circle to a square so that it's easier to escape when my back's at the wall (not that I'm implying it's ever a lockdown).

Wow, most 8wayrunners love Sailor's Rest, given that going in the corners of the stage causes massive lag offline. I prefer Lizardman's arena... lizards as temporary walls = genius on Namco's part.

Back