Prep Shenanigans!! ^_^

TheOnlyOne

[08] Mercenary
Ok, I think I should break the ice and start a thread about some Raph Strategies. This case, His prep stances. First let me start off by saying I don't think of myself as the best Raph or know everything there is to know about him. I'm a student of the game like everyone else, so I could be wrong about a few things. But thats what this site is for!! =D

Ok, lets start with what moves gets him into prep. Hold the last button down to go into prep:

4B
44AB
66B
3B
6BB

after after any of these moves you have the following options:

*BB again for quick pokes to keep them blocking, hold down B if you want to stay in prep.....

*A for a short quick mid hit if your up close and stuns on counter hit......

*2 for SE then B for a mid poke in case they try to GI the BB's or duck. hold down B if you want to stay in prep.....

*2 for SE then A if you think they're gonna sidestep after the SE. Has good advantage on block...........

*VE then throw, and if they duck the throw do VE and A that hits mid and hits twice which in some cases brings them closer to you for a throw attempt. VE and B, then jfB in case they try to slash you for 2 quick counter hits...........

*K, jfK for low hits. This you should rarely use and only use if you got your opponent freezing up cause of the other options.........

*or you can do nothing after the prep and just throw them or w/e.........

The prep game is meant not to lock your opponent down, but rather to have the opponent lock himself down because of the all the options you can do from it. It's not meant to be a frame trap, but more of a mind fuck. Granted it's no where near as free offline as it is online, but it's still has to be accounted for.

6 is forward, you press 2 for SE :P

Prep B is 1 frame slower than Prep A and significantly safer. Prep A is good if youre fighting a hasty opponent who you know youll get a CH on, but be careful with it.

3 and and 44A enter Prep the most quickly (if the is blocked then Prep A will trade with an i13)
followed by 4 (on block Prep A will trade with an i14)
then 6B (on block Prep A will trade with an i16)
and finally 66 comes in last with the title of "worst idea ever" as on block Prep A will trade with an i28

66B isnt a great move (it has its uses... sometimes) but there is -no- excuse to -ever- go into Prep off it. your best combo off 66 is Prep K:K 2A+B for 51 damage. or, if you dont go into Prep, you can 66B 2A+B for 46 damage. risk of getting punished by an i27 (ouch?) vs punished by an i16 for the chance of an extra 5 damage? hmm...

6B and and 44A enter Prep the most quickly (if the is blocked then Prep A will trade with an i13)
followed by 4 (on block Prep A will trade with an i14)
then 6B (on block Prep A will trade with an i16)
and finally 66 comes in last with the title of "worst idea ever" as on block Prep A will trade with an i28

I think for the first row you mean 3. 66 of the other soul caliburs still in your mind :) ?

I've found it nearly impossible to get to SEB , as my opponants tend to mash when they panic seeing raph sway.

Is there really any pressure to Prep? If the attack leading into Preperation was blocked, the enemy can sidestep LEFT (their left, away from Raph's sword) to avoid ANY follow-up and a well-trained eye can and will always punish Raph. In addition, if you find yourself in the "prep mix-up" and can afford to lose like 10 health just duck and guard, and prepare for an attack like 2A. If he does anything but the quick mid, 2A him for a CH. If he does the quick mid, you take 10~ dmg on NH (no stun for him) and you're +6ish I believe. Woo hoo. Not to mention you can mix it up and block the quick mid, because it's unsafe.

I don't see where Prep is useful at all.

prep A interrupts
prep K jumps
prep B guard damage
prep A+B never tried this, but probably owns that ducking 2A
VE - mixups
SEA different uses

Also progressive defence theory doesn't work unless it provides 2-way damage dealing reverse mixup. that your theory doesn't. fail. and its not like theres no ways around it too.

Theory fighting with the basis that your facing against a perfect opponent is stupid.
And it's even more stupid when the theories does not just involve around JI everything on reflex.

Yeah, when you use (insert char name), don't bother attacking. Cause you'll get JI'd until your Soul Gauge breaks and then your opponent will CF your ass.
------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, prep transitions in order of advantage:
SEA [ B ]
44A[ B ]/3[ B ]
4[ B ]
6B[ B ]
Prep B[ B ]
66[ B ]

2A was an example. I'm sure there are better options. It's not difficult to sidestep them entering prep at all. "Perfect opponent" is a silly term in this conversation because what I mention is easily performed even by non-high level players, when taught. You can't rely on gimmicks and parlor tricks to win you anything of prestiege. The simple fact of the matter is left sidestep is punishment enabling and there is no threat to prep mix-ups esp when a crouch guarding opponent with any decent amount of experience in this situation nets them an excellent situation.

When you face a not-so-ignorant opponent, even just fairly practiced in these methods, you will begin to understand prep is a substandard tool, at best.

Until the day more people catch on to destroying prep, enjoy your Raphael "prep shenanigans".

I would focus much more on your outside of prep game. That is where Raph shows is true potential. He has some crazy setups, none of which involve Prep.

Well trained players will step your prep and will block your AB, so stop it. Prepare, for real.

VE wins against sidestep and VE A in particular against those trying to detect 2A allowing backthrow/launcher mixup.
SEA tracks to rafs right (opp left),
Prep BB, and prep A cannot be stepped on any starter hit, 44AB forces crouch on block.

You are completely wrong about everything else too, oh well.

*edit* - AB remark made me laugh

When you step you are immediately subject to VE mixups
VS progressive 2A I don't think it's possible, but even so prep K:K, prep A+B will beat it. and fc 2A does not tech crouch, so it's somewhat... not reliable.

i suck too horribly to land even a single hit on players good enough to know to sidestep prep, so i plan to continue using it as long as i can.

i suck too horribly to land even a single hit on players good enough to know to sidestep prep, so i plan to continue using it as long as i can.

This is the fate of all Raph's.

A lot of ppl think of stupid "maybe I'll be safe" situations as if the opponent steps and that's it. What if they step into an attack like Raph 22 or 33K:B? You're getting hit, period.

Prep is meh. Anyone tells you otherwise needs to provide more solid proof. What I state and you have seen some of it's just the sad truth.

Kolhell: on 6BB, prep BB, 3B and on 44AB block next prep BB cannot be stepped
also after any blocked prep started go into VE, it will track step

Just cleaned out the drama in the thread.

HolyForce: Like I said, your opinion is your opinion. Don't enforce it on others, and don't be a wet blanket and don't insult people just because you think you're right. I don't want to use the infraction system they've set up. You seem like an ok chap when you're NOT talking about Raph so please, just stop.

ShenRii: Chill Dude, Chill.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that prep and ve have a built-in auto evade. For example try the following do a 3~ and do nothing (or hold guard) and let opponent atack you with a high move (AA) raph will automatically enter SEA
try the same but do 3~B+K(VE) against BB and dont press any button. Raph will perform 2 VE's.

this piece really helped my Raphael game out a lot, especially the frame data. I didnt kno that 44A shifted into prep as fast as 3 i was a little hesetant to use it.

Is there any prep option (on block) against taki's AB ?
The B is a mid, so SEA options are too slow to intercept
The B of her attack steps foward, catching prep A+B.

Pretty much any of the prep options on block (SEA B, 4B, 3B) , if i dont lead into prep , a 3K or a 6A will trade with her 2nd hit .
44B will get hit by her 2nd B as well.

So far, i've used 6BBB (the 2nd B will hit between taki's A and B) .. or 2A (same deal ..less damage but better advantage). <-- best option so far
I've also used 4A ..which means even if i hit..i'll pretty much have to block again.

Did a quick test...

If you hit a prep entering move at tip range, you can enter VE but don't input anything from there until Raph does the auto-evade. I don't think it leaves you a lot of advantage though, it might even leave you at neutral.

If you hold off entering prep, VE/step seems to work. From VE it looks like you have enough advantage for a throw/VE A. If you step you can get that 22_88 -> VE B:B combo.

Off SEA .. prep A is not fast enough to stop taki's almight i9 AB series.
And thats his fastest prep transition.

Did a quick test...

If you hit a prep entering move at tip range, you can enter VE but don't input anything from there until Raph does the auto-evade. I don't think it leaves you a lot of advantage though, it might even leave you at neutral.

If you hold off entering prep, VE/step seems to work. From VE it looks like you have enough advantage for a throw/VE A. If you step you can get that 22_88 -> VE B:B combo.

And yes kypher .. that does work (and only at tip range).. but lol it's really an unorthodox approach (to pretty much let her A whiff..trusting on your VE to sidestep her incoming B).

If taki goes ABK... it's pretty hard to do the wait and VE.

Prep seems to be something taki can shut down very easily, so raph's have to give up a lot of guarantee'd damage (by playing conservatively).

3B does push out really good on block, making stepping really easy to do against short range characters (who generally only have decent range on B pokes)

Back