Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

Love forced backturns almost as much as forced crouches myself. Most BT options from opponents allow for a B+K auto evade. A situation I want as much as a SE B a lot of the time.

CE? Go for it.
Safe Prep entry via on hit 6BB? Sure.
Grab / Needle mix-up? Fuck yeah!

Hey every one........... what frames do I wanna be at to bait out and attack and use an option selected jG? My kid wants me to play in tourneys again so I gotta knock all kinds of rust off and actually LEARN the whole game now.

Generally you want to be at a slight disadvantage, something between -2 and -10. SE A on block (-6) is a great opportunity for this. Your kid is awesome btw.

Right side needle kills Maxi's WR B+K or variants for tons of damage.

Edit : I totally took that from Zanaken, and it's actually right side.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-one-true-scv-tier-list-character-discussion-thread.16905/page-9

quite a bit of raph centric discussion going on in there. While its generally in the perspective of the most tournament/competitive players, there is a wide range of opinions there.

I'm of the view that - because raph has simple and effective whiff punishes - he can perform adequately well during frame ambiguous "artifically frame neutral" situations by compensating for his inferior damage options. Ie: in a properly spaced situation where the opponent is forced to react (and not by expecting) raph's whiffs, they may not get an optimal whiff punish, while Raph is pretty much 3(B) combo or 236B on reaction.

The problem is that such situations aren't always common, especially when the opponent is trying to rush you down or is pure turtling, because the tempo of the game is not at the state where the opponent will hesitate when making decisions.

The old "attack at + frames and hold guard during - frames" is not Raph's strength.

Simple argument: Name me the character, who isn't ZWEI or Aeon, who is lower than Raphael. Does anyone believe there is such a character? His place in the tiers is settled by that. I have opinions about what makes the upper characters upper, but they are mere opinions, and even if they were substantiated, I don't know what that proves about Raphael's status in the low tier.
Signia gives an analysis it's hard to fault.

Simple argument: Name me the character, who isn't ZWEI or Aeon, who is lower than Raphael. Does anyone believe there is such a character? His place in the tiers is settled by that. I have opinions about what makes the upper characters upper, but they are mere opinions, and even if they were substantiated, I don't know what that proves about Raphael's status in the low tier.
Signia gives an analysis it's hard to fault.
I don't think anyone is denying that he's at the bottom. The degree of separation between the Raph tier and the "mid" tier is what is being discussed at length, rather.

Don't know if this has been discussed before but has anyone else noticed the teleport effect on raph's B+K? I've been able to clean punish my friend's ezio from full screen whenever he uses his crossbow.

I don't think anyone is denying that he's at the bottom. The degree of separation between the Raph tier and the "mid" tier is what is being discussed at length, rather.
Right. Someone said something interesting in that thread - that ZWEI has received tons of attention to try and find setups and game since day 1, and the absence of success proves there's nothing there. I wonder why this isn't true for Raph. I can only put up the 3:5A+B , and needle tech, up to discoveries from any "hordes" of Raph fans.

Still not sure I see what room there is for discussion, since the answer is certainly "C tier". It's clear there are 4 levels of capability in this game, S, A, B, and the weak cast, which would get letter C. The weak characters have tools that do what they need to do, they just don't get any free pressure, or the use of any well-known style (like attack at + , block at -). I don't think people will find it easy to argue that with a mentality on the same level as the opponent, Raphael is surely hopeless against the B and A tier characters. It's just that, since he can't control anything with, and keep his, + frames (like Signia said), he has no power to force mistakes or make anyone scare, which is a passiveness that will lose out to the opposite capability in his opponents, as time goes on in any high-level match. He still has reach, speed, and the movement manual, keeping him and any other character in this game afloat of "Bottom" tier, meaning garbage. He's flawed, which is C.

Don't know if this has been discussed before but has anyone else noticed the teleport effect on raph's B+K? I've been able to clean punish my friend's ezio from full screen whenever he uses his crossbow.

go raph on raph in training. walk behind cpu raph and have him input his BT B+K. You hit B+K as well and you'll teleport to the opposite side of cpu raph (his front).

Back