Raphael Video Discussion

So to speak, for the honor of Maxi, his ranked match win rate of 80% over. He is also good Maxi, too. Agree with the rest. I will keep my mind.
He's not bad, but not great either. With time, you'll realize online rank means absolutely nothing, and I mean it. My toughest opponents were mostly around 50% win loss ratio on player matches. Surprisingly, the high rank ranked folks rarely present a challenge. I reccomend trying player matches instead, there is way better competition there. Good play from your part.
if this project affords me the time im gonna try to global collesseo matches myself. actually there is little reason for ne of us not to at least try
That's good news. At least I'll not be alone in this.

1080p test - NOT gameplay I want to be judged by ^_^

Play for points - Guess the amount of times I got hit due to a JG attempt. 1 point per correct guess!

I really do have pride in my high JG rate, especially on UB, bombs, CEs etc. Online seems to jump between harder, weirder, or;oddly enough, easier timing.

Could you see why I got pissed off and backed off near the end? :P This guy beat my Natsu pretty legit, so my anger was all there, baby.
Fails include GI 66K attempt, and not A+BAing after Prep BBB stun. I was tired and... enjoying myself to certain substances of zero-note... Life is grand :D

Please, if you rate anything, make it the video quality. I want to upload my upcoming skill-project in perfection.

Here's a video I have versus JJJ's Mitsu at a online tourney last night. I got hella bopped so I need some tips versus Mitsu if possible. I also used switched to Aeon around 5:50 so you can pay no attention to that if you wish.

I am a scary guy!

People usually grab after ducking it anyhow. Breaking them isn't hard.

Even then, it's still a few points damage. We've seen several vids now of people allowing you to do very risky things uncontested. I guess Raph MU knowledge is actually very bad and I could get away with a LOT more than I am.

Not against good players. Gimmicks are not reliable strategies because if you come across someone decently knowledgeable on the mu you'll get bodied.

No, I'll just not use moves that are not showing a valid risk/reward.

I think your black and white views of how I, or my opponents, play, is unfounded.

Or at best, founded upon 4 videos of me messing around for entertainment.

Yomi and adaptation are two sides of a coin I regularly flick at my opponents face.

Sorry if my comment seemed a little harsh, but I still stand by what I said. I know your usual competition is better than that.

EDIT: When I talked about gimmicks, I meant you can't do prep K BE expecting that the opponent will not know the second hit is a high, just like you can't do prep A+B hoping that the adversary doesn't know it's a low. Because experienced opponents will know it, and therefore punish you hard for abusing these moves.

Here's a video I have versus JJJ's Mitsu at a online tourney last night. I got hella bopped so I need some tips versus Mitsu if possible. I also used switched to Aeon around 5:50 so you can pay no attention to that if you wish.

I'll try to help though I am no where near a high level player and have been rugi rolled several times in the past lol.

You have to very careful with attacking and moving because Rugi has his infamous 4B and really good (probably too good) tracking and damage. You should zone him to avoid his 1A, 2KB, AA, etc. If he gets in, land your 2A and throw/mixups. Try to step and bait out his high horizontals and 4B them to land good damage. Know what you can punish. You can also back step and do 236B like you did.

When you block one of Mitsu's moves and he enters MIST, quickly buffer 66B to beat all of his options and land Prep A+B and laugh at him. His MST A+B can GI 66B but since it enters Prep, your Prep 4 will re GI that and you can nail him with Prep A+B or Prep KBE at the cost of meter. Basically, show him who's the bigger badass lol.

If he does 1aB which lasts more than a second, you shouldn't be getting hit by this lol. It's the perfect time to QS it and get damage off of him. As for his 4B, well you'll just have to be conservative in your attacking pattern, as it can evade and hit you even when Mitsu is at negative. You can 8wr to avoid it and I think Raph's 44B can beat his 4B but Im not sure.

You basically have no other options against 22B haha but to watch out for it (avoid being too linear) and block or JG it. Also, watch out for his 6B moves and FC 1BB. Be patient and block FC1B and then punish with 44A+B or QS it for a back throw.

For Mitsu's 11BA series, you need to manually duck the second hit and watch if you enters mist, does the last B, or stops there and act accordingly.

I'm glad you're starting to understand that

I'm not really going to alter my over all strategy and exploit people's lack of MU knowledge on Live. It just means I might screw off a bit more than otherwise. Good players and tourney winners know you can crouch Raph's Prep K BE and hurt him VERY badly for it.

don't give your opponent too much respect though, as you will limit your options artificially.

If they earn it by consistently punishing it then go ahead and never do prep K BE if its not guarnateed. For instance, I used doing prepAB on block, but its not exactly common to have people reliably ducking the 2nd hit (move still sucks on block for some odd reason for a High-High string where you can duck on block and 2nd hit doesn't even track).

Yeah but there are some things you do for that, some things you don't. For instance, 4A, it's not particularly safe but all Raph usually gets for it is an AA or 2A to the junk. Not a big deal. Prep K BE on the other hand is like giving your opp a birthday party. Even if they stand and grab and you break it like Zanny talked about you still got lucky because you guessed right on a coin toss.

Breaking grabs is rarely a coin toss. You can bring your success rate all the way to the 90% mark vs competent opponents.

For the rest, well I'm at a loss. Thinking that every opponent that gets hit by a move that has an answer is crap, is just stupid. Incidentally, thanks for not using 80% of your move-lists for so long, fellow Raphs. Really made my life easier.

• 0:45 is important because that should teach you that 1K does not track effectively after a blocked 66B. Sure it's one of his best when it works, but keep that spacing in mind.
  • Back rolling like in 0:51 got you hit by 66A+B too much. Yes, Mitsurugi in your face is scary, but that will just leave you with even less health to deal with it. Also keep in mind that it's only -2 on block iirc.
  • 1:09, don't let him get away with that move! Practice reacting appropriately, since it ought to be slow enough to see coming.
  • Dealing with sidestepping as Raphael obviously proved difficult, as even some of his tracking tools were getting stepped. Considering the amount of times that worked, I felt you should have tried turtling more, or at least stuck to his most reliable trackers(66A, 2A, 8A+B).
  • Pressing buttons after whiffing something or getting knocked down was a no-no I believed you were guilty of too often. It works when your opponent is cagey with okizeme, but JJJ was not.
  • A lot of the time, JJJ just waited for you to whiff and/or get predicatble with counterattacking, then made his move. Moments like 1:26 and 3:38 were good examples of you making it easy for him. It nearly happened at the start of the second round too, but he was just short. There wasn't enough of you doing the same to him like in 2:00. And when you do whiff punish, attacks are almost always better than throws for guaranteed damage. BB and 3B are a frame faster than throws anyway.
All that said, I felt your difficulty was more in the gap in skill than the fact Mitsu was being played, even though that obviously made things harder. However, I think it will help to study Mitsurigi' frame data some more if you haven't already, and make a note of what moves only leave him at small disadvantage on block. Moves such as 4A (-4 or -2), 2A+B (-2) 66A+B (-2) and 33_99K (-2) will most likely be followed up with step attacks, 4B (-12 on block, free 6BB/CE!!!) or fast attacks/frame traps, so be careful about how you want to counter attack. The less you get tagged by his BS, the more chances you give yourself to tag him with your own. And Raphael does have BS to make use of given the chance (eg. 6BB/CE punishing, 6BB* hit confirms, 236B, 22B, 33KB*, 33B, PREP/no PREP, SE, 66A/8A+B, spacing, GBs etc.)

Here, some vs Maxi videos. this Maxi is my friend, who knows Raph well, and knows my style. casually met in a series with rank match. (these days, somehow, I meet many Maxi. Maxi trendy?)

Bonus:
Raph is too rare in online... so Raph dose not know Raph. (I'm 2P.)

Breaking grabs is rarely a coin toss. You can bring your success rate all the way to the 90% mark vs competent opponents.

For the rest, well I'm at a loss. Thinking that every opponent that gets hit by a move that has an answer is crap, is just stupid. Incidentally, thanks for not using 80% of your move-lists for so long, fellow Raphs. Really made my life easier.

No one breaks throws @ 90%. Go watch some high rank footage, throws happen. 90% would mean throws hardly ever work.

At no time has any one here advocated only using 20% of Raph's moveset. If anything we preach using all but the 20% (maybe less) of his moveset, that 20% however just happens to be the moves you think have more merit than any one else does. Hell, I only advocate staying away from like 5 or 6 moves tops. Everything else you can get good mileage out of applied properly and be fairly safe while doing so.

Yeah, throw break success is oly a guess in this game. Sometimes you get on a roll and sometimes you feel like you can't break any. Of course there are situations where an opponent is likely to use one over the other (ro, wallsplat, big damage) but at high level this just allows for a reverse mixup.

Tekken is skill based throw breaking, soul calibur is guessing with a little insight.

Back