Reversal edge mechanic master post by Trace_afj

So does that mean there are no B throws?
As far as I've heard it's two normal throws, A+G and 4A+G, and throws are always broken by a choice of any button or back+any button.

Is it really okay to be able to GI and RE critical edges though? It costs meter so it's not as if it makes them both irrelevant or useless.
Uh, yes? They're already godlike whiff punishers now that they're done at the press of a button. Whiff punish on reaction throws, 2As, first hit of some strings all will be super easy. If you're doing CEs during moments when the opponent can GI or RE, you're probably using them in risky ways anyway and probably shouldn't be doing them there. And if you couldn't GI CEs, then GI into CE would be too strong.

The 3rd hit of Mitsu's BBB has RE baked in if your opponent attack with anything except a Guard Break. This effective replaces Mitsu doing 4B after he does BB on Block.
Not really. Not only can a good opponent probably react and see that the string isn't over, Mitsurugi players can simply BB and then do the regular non-string RE. The real use of strings with RE in them is as insurance or baits against whiff punishes on the first parts of the string. Other triple normal strings are easily whiff punished on reaction after the first two hits whiff, as the third hits of these strings come out too slowly. I've even seen an AAA string get interrupted by an AA. They don't seem that useful, and are probably meant to be masher entertainment strings that have been common in VF and Tekken but missing in SC.

I personally benefit from a turtle playstyle based on safe play and punishment, so these changes will probably make it harder for me to compete at high level, but I still think these are good choices. They could make the mind games more interesting and make scvi a better spectator game than previous entries

I think the wide-window GI and the RE just reward safe play even more, it's all the more reason to wait and bait rather than try to press frame advantage. Movement is really safe, so it seems like there's a good reason to passively step or backstep at advantage, hoping for a GI, RE, or abare whiff. I expect the game to be highly neutral game/footsies heavy, more so than in SCV because of its unsafe movement and more so than in SCIV because of the bad frames, slow movement, and lack of pushback. Whether turtles will rule really depends on the strength of lows (throws already look weaker as they took a severe range hit), ring outs (wall combos already look weaker due to quick recovery from wall splats), and guard gauge pressure (I'm really hopeful for this one).

RE & GI Using The Guard Meter

The RE Parry Whiff Drains Guard Meter
RE Whiff.gif

GI using Guard Meter & Connects to Recover Guard Meter
GI using Guard Meter & Connects to Recover Guard Meter.gif

GI Whiff ~ GI Success ~ RE Parry Whiff
GI Whiff ~ GI Success ~ RE Parry Whiff.gif

From my time playing it, my early impression of RE is it is a mechanic for newbies, and is super risky to use as it is very easy to step and punish. However I think it'll prove to be quite a bit deeper, where certain attacks lead to Ring outs and bigger combos making the risk a bit more worth it. Also all Matchup discussions will be 5-5 since you can just do RE lol.

From my time playing it, my early impression of RE is it is a mechanic for newbies, and is super risky to use as it is very easy to step and punish. However I think it'll prove to be quite a bit deeper, where certain attacks lead to Ring outs and bigger combos making the risk a bit more worth it. Also all Matchup discussions will be 5-5 since you can just do RE lol.

How fast do you feel RE is? I mean how much it takes more or less for the parry to activate? as soon as you push the button or maybe slower?

How fast do you feel RE is? I mean how much it takes more or less for the parry to activate? as soon as you push the button or maybe slower?

Didn't get to test, was talking about it to Hyrul (@Age_of_Truth) about I wonder how fast it is. I'm guessing it's really fast to activate making it more useful. From the videos you can see that it can be done straight after a GI and Kilik/Mitsu can do it straight after their 4B/BB, which might give an indication that's it's practically instant.

Didn't get to test, was talking about it to Hyrul (@Age_of_Truth) about I wonder how fast it is. I'm guessing it's really fast to activate making it more useful. From the videos you can see that it can be done straight after a GI and Kilik/Mitsu can do it straight after their 4B/BB, which might give an indication that's it's practically instant.

Oh that's nice to know!. So as you said it may have some utilities but people probably haven't found out yet, we still don't know how the meta-game is going to be, but I feel less worried now about RE, thanks for dropping by to tell your experience with it!

B throws are now 4A+G, you break theese with any attack button(A,B or K)+4
What!? Why, change something that isn't broke?

- RE is mapped to one button by default, if you want to do it manually it's B+G
I get that RE is their new "baby" and they want to see people use it, but making it easy to do isn't the solution. They need to make RE worth the risk. Why would anyone use a slow linear move that leads into RPS?

The addition of this new mechanic stings so much because everything else about the game is looks so promising.

The fact you can RE basically everything irritates me...and i havent seen this, but the initial RE hit does damage, and people would wait and turtle vs a low HP opponnent to attack, risking getting RE'd and getting killed by the first hit. thats where the mindgames will come to play i think, but i still dont like this mechanic at all.

The fact you can RE basically everything irritates me...and i havent seen this, but the initial RE hit does damage, and people would wait and turtle vs a low HP opponnent to attack, risking getting RE'd and getting killed by the first hit. thats where the mindgames will come to play i think, but i still dont like this mechanic at all.

Break Attacks beat it (and unblockables), and there are more of them in this game, it seems.

What's the earliest frame of RE's parry? Is it confirmed to work from the 1st?

It's not confirmed, but I've seen people getting hit by non NC strings and be able to RE them in between the non NC hits, so it must be pretty fast. Also I don't know if RE can still be used when you get GIed, but in earlier builds you could, so it has to be lightning fast
- RE can also be used as a post-GI counter ( source https://youtu.be/dYAUuJ1Phuw?t=1m47s )

Last edited:
You can technically do anything after being GI'd, but it may not come out fast enough ;) The thing is, if you could RE something after getting GI'd, you could 99% just block it as well, so overall no big deal.

RE is an extremely potent tool for breaking the tempo of the fight already, it would be broken AF if it worked post-GI as you described. GI'ing would put YOURSELF at a 50/50 situation when you either attack and risk getting RE'd or step/block and potentially waste your GI. Crazy.

You can technically do anything after being GI'd, but it may not come out fast enough ;) The thing is, if you could RE something after getting GI'd, you could 99% just block it as well, so overall no big deal.

RE is an extremely potent tool for breaking the tempo of the fight already, it would be broken AF if it worked post-GI as you described. GI'ing would put YOURSELF at a 50/50 situation when you either attack and risk getting RE'd or step/block and potentially waste your GI. Crazy.

Are you sure about that? in the example of the video I see Sophitia breaking out of the GI stun way too quickly, even the animation of the stun gets cancelled abruptly by RE. And it looks like Mitsu does his move right after the GI too, he doesn't wait or anything to bait Sophie's GI, also we're talking about noobs who are button mashing all the time.

I'm not sure of anything, I'm just speculating. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't take anything regarding RE from the early builds for granted. And certainly I won't believe you can RE out of GI until I do it myself on the release day...

This is why they're doing it right. Get the top players playing the game before it's released to find exploits/glitches and then hopefully fix them before we filthy casuals get to cry about broken shit. In the case of RE, being able to do it post gI with zero delay is kinda bullshit. Maybe it would create mind games where people start stepping post gI for whiff punishING the RE. I'm just speculating as most of us are.

Back