Reverse Edge needs a nerf

I think you guys missing the point of the post but I feel people will realize eventually.

People who RE are at a huge advantage vs people who dont despite its easy implication that loosely applies to a frame based game. It needs a nerf tho i doubt it happens as it's to user friendly.
Maybe my autism is kicking in or something but it sounds to me like you're saying that people who use a tool are at an advantage when compared to people who don't use that tool... shouldn't that be obvious? I mean
if I don't GI vs someone that does i am at a disadvantage
if I don't use throws vs someone that does i am at a disadvantage
if I don't use meter vs someone that does i am at a disadvantage
if I don't use ect.
doesn't mean all these things should be nerfed because I don't like or want to use them.

Maybe my autism is kicking in or something but it sounds to me like you're saying that people who use a tool are at an advantage when compared to people who don't use that tool... shouldn't that be obvious? I mean
if I don't use ect.
doesn't mean all these things should be nerfed because I don't like or want to use them.
if I don't use ect.

I mean the level on definitive advantage it has.

You can beat players that GI, jumping lows or dodging strings
Your throws have two options which can be broke, ducked. GI....well you get where im going with the risk on those
The majority of the cast has two options with meter, you can win using one of the other.

The ironic part is that a single use of RE beats out ALL those options you mentioned.

If you not RE you are at a HUGE disadvantage thats why it needs the nerf

I'm new here (hi!) and I have limited experience playing competitively, so my opinion doesn't count for much. But my two cents is that for something that's supposed to be a defensive technique RE is also too good offensively. It can break through attack strings even after multiple hits, which makes it more worthwhile than guarding properly or countering in that situation. The guaranteed damage when it connects is considerable. Despite its counterplay it's too spammable and regardless of its effectiveness it's too prevalent. The way it slows down and simplifies matches through repeated use is detrimental to the game overall, and IMHO it needs a gauge cost and a damage reduction to discourage its abuse.

Reversal is fine once you figure out the counters to it. Essentially pushing A+B counters it outright.

The real cancer? Ivy 66a / 2ag / 2bk. Super cancer and way too safe from what I've seen.

Unblockables and Break Attacks and Soul Charge (if you really want some space) vs GI and RE. Get those Impact counters (impact reversals?). Cool to see Raph has RE steps. A Taki should dish out some Combo 3 (A+B. B+K~A+G) when that pretty boi steps up so rudely. Or show off that seal of the fire dragon :P

Unblockables and Break Attacks and Soul Charge (if you really want some space) vs GI and RE. Get those Impact counters (impact reversals?). Cool to see Raph has RE steps. A Taki should dish out some Combo 3 (A+B. B+K~A+G) when that pretty boi steps up so rudely. Or show off that seal of the fire dragon :P

Raph has an enhanced Reversal as does Talim, allowing cancel and evade when the RE has failed.

My suggestion to you is create a flowchart to deal with any situation. Like with Maxi I constantly go into Right cross B or AA If they RE alot. It breaks there guard and allows me to combo.

That way you can keep punishing it.

I LIKE ANY MOVE AS LONG AS THERE ARE STRONG COUNTERS TO IT, SO REVERSAL EDGE IS FINE BY ME.

WHAT I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED BY, HOWEVER, IS THAT THE PUSH BACK ON SOUL CHARGE IS EXTREMELY LAME. EVEN IF YOU ANTICIPATE SOUL CHARGE, WHAT CAN YOU REALLY DO TO COUNTER THE PUSH BACK? KNOWING THE RESET IS GUARANTEED IS COMPLETELY UNSATISFYING TO FIGHT AGAINST. PEOPLE WHO DO NOT INITIATE OFFENSE ALL THAT MUCH MAY NOT REALIZE HOW BORING THIS FEELS TO OTHERS.

So, my beef with RE is that I don't really get WHY it was added. I think the intent was to help deal with high pressure opponents, but I think it's failed in that regard. We already had so many defense options though, duck, jump, side step, GI... It just doesn't seem like RE has a specific hole to fill, defensively. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not highly competitive, just been playing since the first game.
THE MOVE PROPERTIES IN CLASSIC SOULCALIBUR DID NOT REQUIRE SOMETHING LIKE REVERSAL EDGE. IN SCII, FOR INSTANCE, A LOT OF FAST LOWS GIVE ADVANTAGE ON HIT, WHICH MEANS YOU CAN CONTINUE WITH BASIC OFFENSE EVEN AFTER USING EASY MIXUPS.

ALSO, EVASIVE ATTACKS GOT BUTCHERED IN TERMS OF ACTUAL EVASIVENESS (OR REMOVED ENTIRELY). SOPHITIA B+K FOR EXAMPLE USED TO BE MUCH MORE RELIABLE IN TERMS OF JUMPING LOWS AND DODGING VERTICALS. MITSURUGI 4B GOT REMOVED OUTRIGHT. THERE ARE MORE EXAMPLES OF THIS EVER SINCE SCIV. BACK STEP IS ALSO COMPLETELY SAFE IN OLD CALIBUR COMPARED TO NOW.

I could understand people's frustration with the RE mechanic back during the beta due to it being a new mechanic and no knew what countered it exactly. However, after release, it became apparent break attacks were enhanced with additional properties in the event the target attempted to RE or GI. Not only that, but most people use RE by letting go on the first hit received, trusting the RE automation - which will get canceled by follow up attacks that are slightly delayed - you can still hit the RE target after their "guard" phase ends.

If you are playing a character, say Taki, and you like to spam that Jump in the air with the delayed descent to catch people off guard on GI, know that RE will simply smack you every time - so stop using it or start using cancellations and feints - that's what they are for.

I've been thinking a bit about Reversal Edge. Personally, I dont use it much and i have run into people that also do not, and also those that use it a lot to cover up holes in their pressure to prevent momentum shifts. Can you beat it, yes. however...

One of the things ive noticed is that the drawback of reversal edge is that as you hold it, it builds your block gauge. It's supposed to anyway. If an opponent hits you with a move and the RE absorbs it, it resets your block stun accumulated back to zero, hence no drawback. Which feels like a bug. If anything it should be the reverse. As you absorb hits, the amount of block stun should increase and add the moves you absorbed. This would make it so that its an actual gamble, especially when you're already yellow. If you use it, then sure, you might win and land a big combo.

But when its over, you're red and if you block another hit you get guard bursted and nailed for an equally large combo. To me, this seems like what the intent of this mechanic should be. Making this change (or bug fix, IMO) would probably balance this out a bit more. (also, increase the amount of block stun for holding it slightly to 20%)

The harsh sad true is tis soulcalibur as a Whole is extremely spammy and lost the road of what soulcalibur used to be.

They killed what the game used to be with CE, RE, universal GI with a long window….but mostly increasing damage on strings, mixups etc and decreasing punishers….

SCVI might have some cool stuff but its not how soulcalibur used to be, i guess they wanted to appeal to other fighting games crowd.
Like it or not.

Back