RIP DLC

You forgot to mention she kills your ears with screams in combat Sophie didn't do that.
I have a younger sister, I've learned to tone things like that out. >:D
I don't mean to sound rude, but why do you compare the two when they are entirely different characters? I like various characters for different reasons, so why should one be better than another?
Because they use the same weapons as the people they replaced.

Well... I'm afraid that I don't really know how to respond to that. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I feel rather drastically differently to you, especially if you don't seem to think that the Soul series has a deep and interesting storyline.

It's trash, man. You know that. It doesn't hold a candle to MK9's story, and that's saying something.

The character designs are all apart of the story though, my friend! The character's actual designs are supposed to reflect and represent their background and their personality; which should in turn attribute to the story altogether. For example, even if you don't get direct information on a character's background, you can still make judgements and leave it open to interpretation, you know?

That's exactly it. Everything you need to know about a FG character should be evident when watching them in a match. There's a really good blog on this. You'd like it. Shit, I need to find it again.

Personally, I feel that the characters in certain fighting games do make slow and gradual (yet noticeable) changes. Sophitia, for example. She was once a young, shy woman but gradually began to mature and become an honourable warrior, who by the end of five games, ended up turning against all of her own beliefs and everything she fought against in order to protect her own flesh and blood. That was a wonderful inspiration for me. And it actually appears realistic and natural to me; she's fighting for a reason, not just because she can!

Yeah, but was there every any question about Sophitia being a hero, or a good mom? Any doubt at all? Her heroism is inherently uninteresting. What makes characters interesting are their flaws. It's all about the flaws.

Would Captain Kirk be interesting if he didn't have a problem with authority?

Would Wolverine be interesting if he wasn't a general ass to people?

Would Rain Man be interesting if he could speak coherently?

Sophitia's got nothing. She's a hero. She's blonde. She has a hot bod. She's flawless. Fun to look at, boring to read about.

It's trash, man. You know that. It doesn't hold a candle to MK9's story, and that's saying something.

That's exactly it. Everything you need to know about a FG character should be evident when watching them in a match. There's a really good blog on this. You'd like it. Shit, I need to find it again.

Yeah, but was there every any question about Sophitia being a hero, or a good mom? Any doubt at all? Her heroism is inherently uninteresting. What makes characters interesting are their flaws. It's all about the flaws.

Sophitia's got nothing. She's a hero. She's blonde. She has a hot bod. She's flawless. Fun to look at, boring to read about.

*Sigh.*

I disagree with you on every level. I'll leave it at that.

Did you read the post where I stated my view about characters? To me they're just moveset skins.

Yes, I did. But that's not what you said. You compared Pyrrha to Sophitia and said that you thought she was better than her without saying why other than the fact they use the same weapons.

Yes, I did. But that's not what you said. You compared Pyrrha to Sophitia and said that you thought she was better than her without saying why other than the fact they use the same weapons.
Well to me Pyrrha is a more realistic person; she has a flaws, her match up with Sieg isn't as awful (not counting Ω), and she doesn't wear silk rags then call them clothes.

Ah, great points across the board! You obviously did more research than I did about SCV's development (I didn't see the behind the scenes video, was it included in the CE?)
It wasn't on the CE. It was released as one of the promotional trailers I think. But I can't remember which specific video it was.

The case of Sophitia bring a half-baked character. From a writer's perspective they're all bad characters. All of them.

But the main case is that it was never about them being bad characters in the first place. It was all intended as window dressing.

I don't think you're taking in as many speculative details about the characters than you possibly should as a writer. As a writer, you need to think and plan ahead; you can't just expect details to be displayed directly in front of you all the time.

For example, Sophitia may have a lot of openly positive perks, but she left her family repetitively to go on these journeys which would have, undoubtedly, left a serious strain on her relationship with her loved ones. If you take Pyrrha and Patroklos out of the picture, you still have her remaining family members as well as her husband, Rothion, who would live each and every single day wondering if she would ever even return.

Have you ever heard of something called "Willing Suspension Of Disbelief"?

Not everything has to be real or make absolutely perfect sense to enjoy a series. There can be enjoyment found within the fact that it's not entirely real; some people enjoy cartoons because it differs so drastically from reality. Again, it's a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong and it would be unfair to force it onto others, which you are doing to me right now.

Not everything has to be real or make absolutely perfect sense to enjoy a series. There can be enjoyment found within the fact that it's not entirely real; some people enjoy cartoons, for example, because it differs so drastically from reality.
hey! My unhealthy obsession with Adventure Time and fantasy games and stuff doesn't need to be brought to reality.
But I like Sophitia as a character because her flaw that makes her shine so much is that she disobeyed a god proven true knowing the full cost of that for her children, only to STILL have things be in vain.

I'd say failing to protect her children and succumbing to soul edge is a pretty big flaw.

Well either way Sophitia was just a sex figure wearing silk rags complete with a flat personality. Which reminds me to say every character's personality is flat & static. If they weren't they wouldn't be FG characters. FG characters don't have developing personalities because if that character's personality develops into something the fans don't like it could have a big affect on the fanbase. Just imagine a sorrowful Cassandra that misses her family after they've all died, wait... you can't. If she isn't arrogant she isn't Cassandra.

Well either way Sophitia was just a sex figure wearing silk rags complete with a flat personality. Which reminds me to say every character's personality is flat & static. If they weren't they wouldn't be FG characters. FG characters don't have developing personalities because if that character's personality develops into something the fans don't like it could have a big affect on the fanbase. Just imagine a sorrowful Cassandra that misses her family after they've all died, wait... you can't. If she isn't arrogant she isn't Cassandra.
Not all her outfits were semi-transparent rags... although I quite liked her SC3 1P outfit thought SC4 was uh over-exaggerated...

If you can't see that the characters do indeed develop over the games, then I honestly don't know where you've been looking all this time. Their personalities don't have to change in order to develop; they still keep the same traits that make them who they are, just the way they present and express themselves are reflected accordingly through the situations and dangers they have experienced.

If you can't see that the characters do indeed develop over the games, then I honestly don't know where you've been looking all this time. Their personalities don't have to change in order to develop; they still keep the same traits that make them who they are, just the way they present and express themselves are reflected accordingly through the situations and dangers they have experienced.
Care to give examples? I don't recall any (Not counting Siegfried, because he was the protagonist).

I don't think you're taking in as many speculative details about the characters than you possibly should as a writer. As a writer, you need to think and plan ahead; you can't just expect details to be displayed directly in front of you all the time.

I get the details. I like to write. I know all about details. But those kinds of details don't matter in a fighting game. They could, theoretically, but not in any fighting game that exists.

Only in a story mode. Only once. Fighting games are meant to be played more than once though. A lot more.

Let's think about an analogy. Let's think about...

Let's think about Luke and Vader, in Cloud City. That was a good fight. It was emotionally charged. The stakes were all-or-nothing. And the twist ending was awesome. It was more about the drama than the fight, which is not to say that the fight wasn't awesome. It was. But it was peripheral to the real conflict.

In a fighting game that's flipped on its head. It's about the fight first, the story second. It's a game.

For example, Sophitia may have a lot of openly positive perks, but she left her family repetitively to go on these journeys which would have, undoubtedly, left a serious strain on her relationship with her loved ones. If you take Pyrrha and Patroklos out of the picture, you still have her remaining family members as well as her husband, Rothion, who would live each and every single day wondering if she would ever even return.

If that mattered, Elysium's CE against Pyrrha and Patroklos would be called PARENTAL ABANDOMNENT GUILT ATTACK.

Have you ever heard of something called "Willing Suspension Of Disbelief"?

Yeah.

Not everything has to be real or make absolutely perfect sense to enjoy a series. There can be enjoyment found within the fact that it's not entirely real; some people enjoy cartoons because it differs so drastically from reality. Again, it's a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong and it would be unfair to force it onto others, which you are doing to me right now.

Forcing you? Do I have a gun to your head?

Back