SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

It's hard to beat Link, for my money. But I was also a big fan of Hiehachi (though he came with rather obvious competitive disadvantages) and 2B is by far my favourite of the SCVI guests. That will of course change when Tifa is added in Season 3. ;D

Last edited:
1589737310250.png

I’ve been either neutral towards or have disliked most of the guest characters. For me, Link and 2B are the best as the former was the only reason my sister bought a SC game in the first place and the latter due to me liking the music from Nier.

I’ve always hated Ezio due to constantly hearing how he was the best thing about the game. While 5 had numerous flaws, it still had plenty of things going for it and Ezio didn’t contribute to that.

If I were to make a ranking of how I view the guests from the fighting games in my own opinion it would go like this:

12. Devil Jin: He’s the lowest simply for the fact he’s restricted to CaS. All this effort just for a CaS exclusive? What a waste.

11. Yoda: If he wasn’t Yoda he would basically be the worst. His own traits don’t even work to his advantage very well and he’s unarguably viewed as the worst character in SC4.

10. Starkiller: He was only in this game just for promoting The Force Unleashed. Nothing else really needs to be said, other than he can has sparkly fingers....

9. Heihachi: Probably the weakest of the SC2 guests. He plays how he would in Tekken but for Soulcalibur I wouldn’t say it translates as well. Moving on...

8. Spawn: He just feels like he was added because Todd McFarland designed Necrid. His moveset sounded interesting on paper but feels like it was missing something something to take him the extra mile.

7. 2B: I don’t hate 2B as a character, but in SC6 I just personally don’t enjoy her gameplay. Sure, her own talents from Nier are implemented decently well such as her cannons. I just think she feels too much like 2D fighter for my tastes.

6. Darth Vader: Arguably the best of the Star Wars guests. Yes I know he’s a bit out of place in a setting like Calibur, but his gameplay was handled quite well and compliments his own brutal ability in the Star Wars franchise. Plus you get to hear The Imperial March when using him on the Star Destroyer stage.

5. Link: As a swordfighter he was a no brainer for the GC addition of SC2. His whole moveset was mainly a nostalgia trip for anyone who was a fan of TLoZ, plus the main theme of said game got it’s own rendition for SC2. But given that’s he’s a Nintendo character, I doubt we’ll ever see him hit multi console for a future Calibur.

4. Ezio: He’s pretty straightforward and easy to pick up. Ezio was honestly executed very well and was generally a pretty safe choice after going overboard with Star Wars in SC4.

3. Geralt: As a whole he was a good choice combining swordplay with magic. He’s great for players new to the game and with his own Soul Chronicle, but he honestly loses a few points due to his kit being a bit boring.

2. Kratos: Absolute badass. It was honestly unexpected. I really liked using him in BD. He honestly fits pretty well with SC especially given his dislike for the gods. Hell, it seems even the developers liked him so much they brought back his fighting style for Aeon to use (guess we found out what happened to Kratos lol).

1. Haohmaru: I just find Hao to be incredibly fun to play. He fits quite well with the series with his mechanics and design. I’m glad he turned out well after some initial skepticism after his reveal during the Season 2 trailer.

Also, fun fact; Kratos and Spawn were not just guests in both Soulcalibur and Mortal Kombat, but were also guests in Soulcalibur BEFORE appearing in Mortal Kombat. Score two points for us lol.

I dunno, Ezio was pretty great. I'd say it's a toss-up between those two.

Ezio was def one of the best, great fitting, and great gameplay (maybe not much competitive tho), but i kind find geralt playstyle better overall.

2B says hello.

2B is great, and with nice gameplay, but doesn't fit as much though

Haohmaru: Hold my drink!

I think Geralt fits even better, and is even more unique.

Incidentally, should Geralt still be relevant within a few years and maybe even Haohmaru, they could fit into Mortal Kombat. Of course there's also Negan in Tekken.

Aesthetically I would say that that Ezio was the best guest. He may be from XV-XVIth century but still Soul Calibur is such a mish mash of everything that he looks like he absolutely belongs. Next would be Geralt and Link. Personally I much prefer Geralt but I need to keep in mind that I never played any Zelda game so I never felt any kind of attachment. Would consider Geralt to be better mostly due to aesthetics but then again in SCII times Link didn't looked out of place at all. Haohmaru looks and fits greatly into the roster but then again he is kinda Mitsurugi 2 (or should I say Mitsurugi is Haohmaru 2 since the Haoh is an older character tho both are based on the same archetype) so the previous ones would beat him by pure uniqueness.

Rest of the guest it's hard for me to tell. I feel like 2B is one of the best when it comes to gameplay. Even tho I think she doesn't fit with all tha 2d-ish movement I stillfind her gameplay to be a lot of fun and really unique. All the SW cast was absolutely out of place for obvious reasons but Vader had the most down to earth style and after a bit of polishing and tinkering it could really fit some regular, new character in the series. Starkiller was ok I think but Yoda was absolute worst piece of Gon-tier level trash.
Didn't mention Kratos but I always felt like it was odd to put in characters with such power levels. Basically he should be able to mop the floor with everyone in the cast tho I can't say much more since I never owned a PSP. The rest of the guests are kind of meh imo. Perhaps Spawn could get some likes from me but I didn't own a console during that time so I never got to play those games

So according to what I wrote I would place it like this: Ezio > Geralt = Link > Haohmaru > Kratos > 2B > Vader > ...whatever... > Yoda

It’s true that it would’ve been nice if they did actually include moves and/or voice for KOS-MOS, but with how much content that they already had, that they didn’t even get to balance the main cast movesets until Arcade Edition, I kind of forgive them. She used Soul of Zasalamel or Grieve Edge quite nicely, though, so it still kinda worked out.

But mostly I brought her up because of the thread we’re in. :sc4amy1:

Right after the lesbian barbarian is added Kappa.
OMG, someone is morphing into Nyte here...
Wait, I don't have very much experience with this, but I'll do my best. Ahem: WHAT WHAT WHAT!?

All joking aside, I'm still holding out hope on the Tifster.

I can hear tifa says her most memorable quote "time for your dick flattening" during her Critical Edge. Kappa
Lisa, lame meme recycling is like drinking your own pee: rarely as funny as it sounds in the abstract and just plain sad for the person who has to do it. Kappa

But all "defending the honour of my 'best girl'" flaming aside, can someone explain to me (as a person who doesn't really follow fandom memes) where did this "dick flattening" thing comes from oriignally? I presume something that dumb sounding could not have possibly made it into FFVII Remake, and that, like most eye-roll-inducing memes, has just has incestuously been repeated and remixed in the bowels of the internet despite the fact that original variant wasn't really at all funny and never made any sense as even an attempt at humour? But this one came on so suddenly, I feel like the exact origin point must be known?

I need to keep in mind that I never played any Zelda game so I never felt any kind of attachment.
A gamer who has never played any game in the Zelda franchise? I'd heard that they exist, but I never expected to see one in the wild that was not a juvenile specimen. Best David Attenborough impression: Extraordinary! Seriously though, do we need to take up a collection for an NES Classic for you!? Play one of those games!

All the SW cast was absolutely out of place for obvious reasons but Vader had the most down to earth style and after a bit of polishing and tinkering it could really fit some regular, new character in the series. Starkiller was ok I think but Yoda was absolute worst piece of Gon-tier level trash.
Starkiller may have been a part of that EA marketing push to convince people that The Force Unleashed was going to be a genre-defining milestone in gaming (rather than the rather forgettable/milk toast title it actually ended up being), but I would still say he was the best of those characters: unlike the other two, he had a pretty well-defined moveset that PS could work from, so he feels more or less like a natural transplant.

Vader on the other hand moves so slowly, and half of his moves feel more appropriate to a WWE game than Soulcalibur. I do think it is kind of interesting that later Star Wars films kind of utilized a similar approach the character (a slow but nigh unstoppable force), but I don't know, the moveset just didn't feel 100% aesthetically on point; certainly a viable, balanced, and interesting moveset from a purely mechanical perspective, but off when you've already had three decades of exposure to that character at the time that the game came out. Also in that vein (and I know this is a very narrow nitpick, but...) I play SC games in Japanese typically, and their fail there has to be heard to be believed!

Yoda I feel was a missed opportunity. If they were going to add him at all (as opposed to any number of other potential Star Wars light side protagonists, even considering they had to have immediate and recognizable appeal) they needed to do a butt-load of extra animations so that not so many moves (and thus most usually guaranteed combos) whiffed against him. If they had been willing to reanimate throws for everyone against him, as well as some other moves, he could have worked. But of course they were not willing to do that, so instead they just nerfed him into the ground so there was no chance he could be abused against anybody but the scrubbiest of scrubs--because his being OP in the context of half of all moves flying over his head would have mad people much more furious than just having an extra, mostly useless character.

So the one person we are not talking about but who might reasonably be described as a guest is Necrid. I know even just mentioning him threatens to open up the floodgate of hate on him, but I personally think the green lump gets a bit of a bad rep. I always found him to have a pretty decently useful and balanced moveset, and I honestly don't have much problem with the concept: he definetly looks like an 80s action figure in terms of the model, but given the concept, they could have just recycled everybody else's moves into him, but instead they took the time to make most of his animations unique, such that he is using everybody else's weapons, but with his own movements and mechanics that work well together, and I think it's worth recognizing that they didn't just take the easy route on that.

Last edited:
Back