SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

Someone call my name?
Kappa

No, but 'sup Crash xXx Kappa

..well Is the art at least of high craftsmanship? 😹
tenor-2.gif

It's not surprising, considering the mainstream appeal of SoulCalibur didn't happen until SoulCalibur II, where Hwang was a half-character in Assassin and Yun-seong was the new Korean boy. Then Hwang was only a half-character again in SoulCalibur III, with his identity, but was a bonus character moveset with admittedly a bit more polish than other custom styles but still not a fully fleshed out moveset until Arcade Edition, but then he didn't return to SoulCalibur IV, while Yun-seong was going strong in all three of these games, sooo... it's not exactly a fair comparison. It's impressive that Hwang placed as high as he did more than anything else, really, considering his place and representation in the series.

Pleasing to see that pneumonia can take me out for a week or two and shit don't change in the shitposting thread (other than some of it leaking out into other threads apparently ...).
Oof. Pneumonia sucks. Hope you’re getting better.

@LisaK Kingdom is a peaceful place. The messenger’s were just sent to form a peace treaty between the threads...and all that fun jazz. And negotiations are certainly going well. Kappa

Pleasing to see that pneumonia can take me out for a week or two and shit don't change in the shitposting thread (other than some of it leaking out into other threads apparently ...).
I'm a bit late, but I hope you're OK, pneumonia is horrible. The shit leaking everywhere is funnier more than anything really though.

It's not surprising, considering the mainstream appeal of SoulCalibur didn't happen until SoulCalibur II, where Hwang was a half-character in Assassin and Yun-seong was the new Korean boy. Then Hwang was only a half-character again in SoulCalibur III, with his identity, but was a bonus character moveset with admittedly a bit more polish than other custom styles but still not a fully fleshed out moveset until Arcade Edition, but then he didn't return to SoulCalibur IV, while Yun-seong was going strong in all three of these games, sooo... it's not exactly a fair comparison. It's impressive that Hwang placed as high as he did more than anything else, really, considering his place and representation in the series.
Not that I disagree with any of those points, but there's a much more salient reason to disregard the poll as meaningful: statistical reality. Even if we are conservative in approaching the figures, we can still safely say that at least 7-10 million people have played a Soulcalibur game and thus represent the pool of people who might have an opinion on a "best" character. So even if you're argument is that Project Soul would cater first to character popularity rather than who they think would best balance the game and serve its aesthetics--a questionable conclusion in itself--then this poll would be absolutely useless to them for determining who those popular characters were. Possibly four thousand people participated in that poll (if there was no double voting whatsoever). That means the poll tapped the opinion of about one in 3000 people who represent potential return players for a new Soulcalibur game. That is a completely statistically useless for the purposes of market research. And by that, I don't just mean that it's weak evidence, I'm saying it means f***-all nothing.

I guarantee you, Namco did not release that poll intending it to be their bible guiding who should be considered for future games: the development team might want to be vaguely aware of that, but they are always going to have bigger priorities: a game isn't made just by taking all of the most popular things from a previous game and then slapping them together. Developers have tried that method in the past and the results are predictably shit--just as they are shit in movies or television, or any other form of media. A game has a lot of moving parts and they have to work together well--that's the first consideration. Of course there are popular faces that invariably show up, but trying to engineer every last decision based on what your fans think they want is a terrible idea, and if your game sucks, no amount of fanservice will save it.

No, rather, Namco's real purpose in putting out that poll is obvious: to get fans debating and keep the franchise in people's minds in-between products. The fact that we're still talking about the poll five years later, with some people holding it up as "evidence" of who is likely to come next, is an indication of just how smart a marketing decision that was and how well it has paid off, especially considering its the type of thing that costs them pretty much nothing, relative to traditional marketing. But there's plenty of evidence that Namco was only concerned with the effect and not the actual results. For one thing, anyone who knows anything about statistics, voting formats, and/or market research would tell you that if you wanted a reliable read on the "popularity" of each character, you wouldn't use simple sum voting: you'd use accumulation/weighted voting instead. This is because you could easily have a character who is the first most popular character for only 3% of potential consumers, and yet that same character is the fourth most popular character or better with 75% of the same pool of persons.

Now, Bandai Namco is one of the largest companies of its kind in the world: I promise you that their market research teams include people highly credentialed in statistical analysis, with professional methodologies and resources for gathering their own data. There's no way that if they wanted to truly take the pulse of the Soulcalibur fanbase (and then force their development teams to adhere to their findings), that they would do it solely based on a facebook poll with first-past-the-post voting. That poll was a marketing stunt (albeit a highly successful one) and it is unlikely it has ever has had (or ever will have) any concrete effect on who gets into a Soulcalibur game, for all the reasons detailed above. Of course, I say all of this knowing full well that it will be maybe one or two pages in this thread before someone again asserts it as evidence, but that's par for the course: most people don't understand the mathematics of polling, its methodologies, or how to assess the reliability of a particular poll.

Last edited:
Beware huge Rant incoming:

Dude I so fucking hate CaS, one of the core of every fg is play 1 vs 1 with a character from that game vs another character from that game as well. But to do so in sc6 you can't unless you meet in some whiles your 3 friends that also play sc with decent level.

Fuck the moron at ps that thought cas should be allowed and force on all sc6 online modes. One of the worst feature if not the worst I can remember on any FG.

Beware huge Rant incoming:

Dude I so fucking hate CaS, one of the core of every fg is play 1 vs 1 with a character from that game vs another character from that game as well. But to do so in sc6 you can't unless you meet in some whiles your 3 friends that also play sc with decent level.

Fuck the moron at ps that thought cas should be allowed and force on all sc6 online modes. One of the worst feature if not the worst I can remember on any FG.

go on.... :) let it all out!

Back