SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

tap A+B twice then hold A+B the second time. ie SW A+B, [A+B]. just note that if the sword did not flame in the end then it'll actually do nomal, non-UB damage. try it in training a few times and keep an eye on the damage counter, then you'll see

Is Ivy that annoying?

Everytime i enter a room i usually get removed by the host constanstly they always send a message saying no offence i hate ivy players. People would call me stuff like whore, bitch,fag every word in the book for using ivy. I think she must be the most hated character on the game It's as if they want ivy players to just drop the controller. They complain bout her combos,range,command throws and her stuns is she really that annoying to fight?

Is Ivy that annoying?

i thought Hilde, Algol, Amy, Sophie, Voldo then Mitsu is the most hated... I know someone refusing to invite play against Hilde. XD

Ivy can get hate for CL214B and SW [A+B]. They r both BS moves, even tho the first one has flaws. XD

Well unless the connection is really bad, shakeable stuns are easy to shake out of.

Is Ivy that annoying?

Most Ivy's are hated in ignorance to how to beat her...however she can be lag tacticed with:

SW 22K, CL 214, CL A+BA+K, WP 11A, WP 1B, WP 6AA (bad connection), SE K, SE A+K.

So unless a person is spamming these, it's the other players fault. I hear "she has a sword that can stab me through the fuckin ground!" as reason to call her cheap. These people just don't know what they're talking about. So beyond the above listed...she's perfectly legit.

Is Ivy that annoying?

"Online" Ivy players (lag abusive) are a real pain. CL 214 (block) -> SE A+K stuff is bullshit ^^
(or CL 214 (block) -> SE BBB CH !!)

WP 1B is also pretty bad (very visible, and 80dmg combo on NH ....)

Also, even without lag abuse, Ivy's main weakness is that she's unsafe, has lots of steppable moves or GI-able on reaction. Online, you can't properly step / whiff punish or block / block punish /GI. This breaks the balance of the game. I hate playing vs Ivy online too. (not that I like online that much anyway).

Is Ivy that annoying?

"Online" Ivy players (lag abusive) are a real pain. CL 214 (block) -> SE A+K stuff is bullshit ^^
(or CL 214 (block) -> SE BBB CH !!)

WP 1B is also pretty bad (very visible, and 80dmg combo on NH ....)

Also, even without lag abuse, Ivy's main weakness is that she's unsafe, has lots of steppable moves or GI-able on reaction. Online, you can't properly step / whiff punish or block / block punish /GI. This breaks the balance of the game. I hate playing vs Ivy online too. (not that I like online that much anyway).

tresto please....

CL 214 (block) online it's possible to punish it without any problems if you take CH on this one that because you have reacted too slowly
WP 1B, 11A i can understand even if i know lot of people who block it on reaction

she's unsafe: wrong she's pretty safe even if it's not amy ^^

has lots of steppable moves: lot of anti step moves also depend to the game and mind games to the person in front of you but she has very good and dangerous tools on this 3 stance for breack step (WP 6AA; 3A CL 214B; 3A A+B WS AA SW 6A; 3A ;4A 2A+K) she is not steppable without risk

you talk about GI but you don't use it also offline and GI is possible online really ask to samsam if i don't GI online

i'm really not agree to my experience if people don't like ivy it's just by a bad knowledge to her ,
she can hit at a crazy range ,iCS/SS and SW A+B [A+B]

but online there is worth charactere to her mitsu , liz , sophitia, maxi, siegfried win a big power with lag really more than ivy

anyway it's true that ivy is not a character that people like in general online and offline
she's strong that true :)

Is Ivy that annoying?

No, she used to be annoying as hell. She's quite easy to beat now, to be honest, just some moves she has are broken and can be abused online. And her Lag tactics are like everyone else's- gay as hell.

Is Ivy that annoying?

My general rule is that if I feel certain moves hit because of lag I stop the combo. EXAMPLE: CL A+BA+K. If they block the 1st hit and the second hits and its not a CH, I let them out because no good player would miss that block and it's just online letting it happen. I only do WP 1B on step and CH even If there's good mind games.

Pretty much my rule is any "lag tactic move" that is used in great moderation or as a CH attempt it's valid. If I see a high, SW 22K is legit. If I step a move, I will CL A+BA+K because it's guaranteed. However I have seen most Ivy's just spam this crap and win and are completely oblivious to whats actually happening and it gives Ivy a really bad name online. Most Ivy players are bad and think CL A+B and WP 1B spam is legit and it's not. I pretty much have a flow chart of how to fairly use these moves online. If I get CL 214 blocked and not punished, I exit the stance with G or 66K. I wont even go for a big damage follow up if it CH's. WP 1B is only guarantees. CL A+BA+K is only if guaranteed, if the 1st hit lands, and if they always attack after CL A+B. I will under no circumstance run in and just throw the combo out since it doesn't work offline like that. If the block the 1st hit and the second/third gets them I wont finish the combo. WP 6AA, SW 22K, WP 11A, SE A+K is strictly to aim for a CH, not a NH.

We need to start educating these Ivy scrubs making her look like BS lag spam when she doesn't need it to win.

Is Ivy that annoying?

I play in japanese language Ivy sounds so much better even though i never know what the hell she's saying. lol You say she looks like a man i think she's beautiful.

I figure too reach Ivy's full potential all her stances need to be used during the match. Every stance has great tools including SE from what i seen from other ivy's is most will stay in sw stance the whole match. I think this makes her easier too defend sw can be so predictable at times. Every stance complements one another CL for speed WP for range SW for CQC and SE for change up. I'll probably never have a traditional sw ivy because of switching stances so much.

I figure too reach Ivy's full potential all her stances need to be used during the match.

That sounds more like a hypothetical statement. If Ivy can win the match flawlessly that means she is already employing a good tactic at the right time that wins which irrespective to her full potential. Its not like in RTS games where there is a perfect build order. Tho if u ask me, it starts off with how well she dominates the rounds all the way towards the end. From what I see what actually works from the way other ppl play, WP pokes in the beginning and then usually CL 214B at the end...XD

Every stance has great tools including SE from what i seen from other ivy's is most will stay in sw stance the whole match. I think this makes her easier too defend sw can be so predictable at times.

My guess for ppl who enjoy to stay in SW is either they want to standby for a punishment game or the opponent/matchup allows them to be at an advantage with sword. For others, they only get into sword when they feel the moment asks for it: a) the opponent pressures them well upclose; b) other stances are ineffective for the type of matchup. C) iCS grab and 22K mixup all the way. :D

Generally, I dont go stance dancing happy just for the sake for randomness and trying to be unpredictable. Imo if Ivy can destroy the opponent with WP and CL alone, there is no need for SW. For e.g: If Mitsu, Xianghua, Amy gets half of the healthbar deleted by WP pokes and mixups alone bcos they are hindered in trying to close in, that is a tactic to stay at. Where as versus Hilde, bullrush happy Asta, Nightmare, Seig is more viable to be in sword bcos they are more punishable (Hilde excluded), their damage from mid-longrange are effective, however even in those matchups if they dont know how to deal with WP I would exploit it.

To sum it up, try all and see which works better.

Best strategy is play a spacing game. Fight in WP mode as much as possible and only transition down when the range calls for it. The best concept is do what you can with the range where the opponent can't reach you and go for the kill when they break past it. Use CL for mis range spacing game, pushout, and CL A+BA_K on step (NOT AS A RUN IN TACTIC!). SW is her most powerful stance in frame data but it helps a lot ot chip them away with WP and CL and then bring the fight to SW when you need the finish.

SE is just horrible and should only be used when CL 214/ WP 3]B] are almost certain to hit or a combo puts you into it. All of SE is unsafe spare 66K.

Really there's a lot of different ways, but that listed is the most practical to me. I focus on heavy SG damage with WP, keep spacing pressure with CL, and then with Sw it's all about the safe pokes for combos and even further SG dmg...as well as iCS threats.

The post that Ivyfanboy made is precisely where Im at about Whip and Coil spacing. While on paper its ideally the most efficient way to win with her its not the same case in game. Anti-char knowledge, player style, knowledge of frames offline/online, mindgames, they all make whatever stance choices critical and its more on experience where knowing the list of things u can do of each stance at the brink of the moment. You test to see how do they respond to zoning while taking different levels of risks just to see what can u do to that player. If they block a lot while not landing a hit on you, Ivy benefits in SG and poke dmg.

Yes her poke game is sw is the best i find myself in whip alot against the kilik's & asty's... I agree that sw is the best also i think staying in sw all match makes her easier to defend. SW & CL can win most matches the quickest.

I also agree that an Ivy at full potential will utilize all her stances. While some of the stances have crappy moves, I think outguessing your opponent can overcome those weaknesses. She's also a lot more fun to play and watch that way methinks.

Back