SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

One question, does this do as much/more than just straight up 2A+K in the combo? On paper 2A+K does more damage raw. And if I remember right, 2A+K does less damage to Yoshi than 66A+K and potentially MED A+K. Again, I gotta test this a little more.

Not sure.

I figured the MED A+K would do more because the combo technically stops and there would be no scaling (at least that's what I was thinking when screwing around with it)

I'll do some more tests when I get back to the dorm and try to throw a video up.

hey - it's a 2 hit combo, with more damage, but less hp loss to yourself? and also, not tested but does MED A+K hurt yourself before or after?

So here's a little summary of my findings.

I threw it together with little to no planning so forgive any mistakes.

Think you could, in the end with the reaction to when the camera skews, catch them with an aB+K? Then you could follow up with any of the ear slicer combos.

hey - it's a 2 hit combo, with more damage, but less hp loss to yourself? and also, not tested but does MED A+K hurt yourself before or after?

Yes it does more damage costing less health (if I recall correctly) and not sure if it hurts you before/after

Think you could, in the end with the reaction to when the camera skews, catch them with an aB+K? Then you could follow up with any of the ear slicer combos.

Yes, you can

I'm kind of disappointed by the holes in matchup knowledge exhibited by our top players. The level of play exhibited was incredible to watch, but there were a few jarring flaws that really stood out. I wouldn't have expected matchup knowledge as elementary as deathcopter setups and ringout angles to be a deciding factor here.
Don't get me wrong, the showing from all the top players was great (and I was rooting for Lolo the whole way through), but there were mistakes made in this matchup that should've been ironed out in the first month of the game's life and which contributed greatly to the steeper losses that occurred in top 8.

Yeah, that's been a thing with a lot of people and not many people actually feel the need to learn it. Corrondo runs the most party Yoshi ever and it works. Playing casuals against him was hilarious because we are the polar opposites of play. He parties and I'm super cautious and safe. AND SAFE PREVAILED IN THE FT3 haha. But yeah, Lolo was totally taking advantage of the lack of MU knowledge. To the point that he was getting loads of 3B 6KKs. Smart play from him to use it to his advantage.

It sounds like some of us were thinking along the same lines - but it's fine. If more death-copter set-ups were used no doubt the top 8 would be prepared for that.. so I think this is explaining the 6KK because it's so rarely used and you still have to deal with it by air control the right way.. they're getting mind fucked by being mentally prepared for the wrong option (the one that probably most people would go for 9/10) and thus getting caught out. I've experienced this a lot myself recently by playing a guy who's only just starting with Yoshi - can't 3B ear-slice consistently and will run DGF FC3K mix-ups all day - frustrating because you think being a Yoshi main i'd know how do deal with that shit!

Then when you do use death-copter it's got way more value as again the opponent can't get mentally prepared. I think you can really see some high level mental mind-games/fatigue in the Hawkeye matches - all that meter and no re-gi at the end, a dropped DGF B combo for the ring out into DGF K..

I was also surprised to not see much guard game, especially since that 66A+B post FC3K mix-up being so hard to deal with. But what else is there to say? The Asta counter-pick against LP then back to Yoshi once he's locked into Alpha was an inspired move and the dude won so much credit to Lolo and perhaps we can all learn something from these matches! :)

All I can say is that Yoshi is amazing, I've been playing with this char since SC4, his basic game is the same, good lows, good mids, dick punch, grabs and gimmicks. I don't care how prepared you are, there's tons of tricks to remember, and I know every gimmick, and still would be catched by lots of this, seriously, fighting against Yoshimitsu melts my brain, imagine the rest of the players that has no clue what's going on...

So mix every combo you have, I've sacrificed some guaranteed damage with the purpose that the next time I would go into pogo, I got them ducking for example, and many other mind games.

And people still saying Yoshi is mid tier, that's OK :), whenever I play vs a top tier char like Pyrrha, Omega Pyrrha, Natsu or Alpha Pat, I honestly always feel that I have the adv, but that's just me. The only MU that I wouldn't play is Viola, she is plain broken but some people still like to think she is not, even when Lost Providence has been saying she is broken and proved that in real situations.

Anyway, keep the Namu going, I think that Signia felt the same when he was at EVO, he was destroying everyone until he had to face the broken ass Viola, where he was winning most of the matches, Viola only has to do one read to win rounds. So for me Signia won EVO, Viola is banned for me.

Sooo, when you SDGF & press 6 to move forward (or 6/4A+B) then K. Is it impossible to recover or what?

When I do SDGF K I can recover consistently, so I know my timing is good. Can anyone help?

Sooo, when you SDGF & press 6 to move forward (or 6/4A+B) then K. Is it impossible to recover or what?

When I do SDGF K I can recover consistently, so I know my timing is good. Can anyone help?

The recovery is only possible when Yoshi is not mobile in SDGF, he has to be stationary in order to initiate recovery from SDGF K, you can do it as soon as you stop but if you move and go for SDGF K (while mobile,) you will never get the recovery... however, his other stationary/mobile options from SDGF are very good in general and in certain match ups some characters cant even touch him/hit him out of SDGF stance... all in all, fair trade.

Also, check out the thread titled "advanced guide" here in the Yoshi forum, Signia put together a nice batch of info that can help you if you have other stance/move questions.

Also, congrats Lolo for your win at FR17, i knew it in my heart that it was only a matter of time until Yoshi made his mark in taking 1st at the finish line, well done sir.

Last edited:
I'm kind of disappointed by the holes in matchup knowledge exhibited by our top players. The level of play exhibited was incredible to watch, but there were a few jarring flaws that really stood out. I wouldn't have expected matchup knowledge as elementary as deathcopter setups and ringout angles to be a deciding factor here.
Don't get me wrong, the showing from all the top players was great (and I was rooting for Lolo the whole way through), but there were mistakes made in this matchup that should've been ironed out in the first month of the game's life and which contributed greatly to the steeper losses that occurred in top 8.
Totaly agree with that . Very little groupe of person know how to deal against yoshi

Once you hit with the kangaroo kick -> 8a, what do you do then? If they don't air control I've hit 2b+k, but if they do, you're left backturned. Will a+b work in backturned meditation? Anyway... what's the oki after hitting that 8a?

(I dont recall if just straight 1k -> 8a leaves you back turned, or if it has to be after the 33b -> b+k -> a+b -> k ..... just know I'm talking about whichever one leaves you back turned)

I don't really go for 8A any-more after 1K. I used to but G a:B+K 2(A+B)66 is what I go for now. No health loss, good damage. Keep meaning to try out 1K MED A+K as a round ender too.

You can usually chase them down with SDGF 6A+B A after 8A though. I think they can still air control out of it with the right direction though and that's pretty good damage. You are back-turned but they are grounded. Usually when I'm back-turned like this I'll play risk and go for A+B K - not a bad move on block and decent guard damage. If they step it though, you eat pain.

Back