SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

Let's say I use a:B+K after 22B or 3B. My favorite is to steel wind(9B+K:K) on their face, but lately I've been finding that a:B+K pushes them too far away to even follow up and 90% of the time they just ukemi out of the way.ounter about 80% of the time.

in my opinion your best options post 3B_22B => a:B+K are -

- RCC 3B
- 9A+B if they ukemi - catches all for the most part. i'll miss back ukemi with it if i'm at tip range when doing a:B+K
if they just lay there or roll, i'll spam 3B and force them to get up. if you can anticipate when your opponent is gonna stand then apply more mix up with throws, FC3K more 3B and whatever you want to do from there.... yoshi's oki game is one of the best in the entire cast.

most people are starting to figure out how to get out of the UB trap by just laying there..or if they're using Lexia they can crybaby the UB lol.

Even with all this, in order for MCF to be useful, I need to anticipate what they're going to do and react in 20 or less frames. I understand this game was meant to be deep and rewarding, but this is too deep and not rewarding enough. Last night I got Cervantes's just frames down to 90% success in ten minutes. And at least Alpha Pat actually rewards you if you get his JFs. With Yoshi I get 10 damage in a narrow hit box with MCF and + ~30 damage from a:B+K. With all that said, I've never hit anyone with MCF, or seen anyone get hit by MCF. Ever. Not even once.

i don't think theres much risk using iMCF... unless you mess it up.....using iMCF isn't for everyone. i TRY to use it to keep people honest or off wall combos....but mostly i'll use it after blocked 4B, 22_88K, or 3B+K... if they attack with pretty much ANY move after the ones i've mentioned... even AA... iMCF is almost guaranteed. if they know yoshi well enough, they know they're not at advantage and remain blocking...... you train them to block after 4B, 3B+K or 22_88K then you can apply more mix ups. your options are all open.... granted, most people can backstep out of iMCFs range..... but then it adds more mind games for both of you.... that's where the depth kicks in.

i hope this helps you slightly understand when to iMCF. for me, it's to stop them from attacking so i can KEEP attacking lol

If you know Yoshi well enough, you can actually steel wind against an expected iMCF for fun...

Anyway, like a lot of the punishment tools in the game, iMCF isn't really meant to mount an entire offense off of. Sure, certain characters have some great CH/Punishment options (Poe's 236B stab) but at the end of the day you aren't mounting an offense entirely off of stab - you're using it to punish legitimate mistakes and to intimidate. Otherwise, you'd end up being the one getting punished consistently....

Having i13, i10 and i8 interrupt tools that can lead to great combos is a tool unique to Yoshimitsu. Two of them are TC and one is a GI with a small step. All 3 are really great.

Ear slicer has great rewards on some longer combos and a good RO game. As mentioned, 6K is a decent replacement in a laggy match or if you aren't comfortable with ear slicer at all. iMCF is a staple.

I'm really in love with 66A (BE) post backdash nerf. That shit gives you so much damage with a bA follow up.

So, casualty report...it seems that Yoshi no longer gets a free full DNK after 4K (blocked), B (hit), except maybe if they're right at the wall. The first hit connects, but the rest just whiff right on through...barnacles.

I did find something fun, though: I always thought Nightmare's 3[ B] K was a frame trap, but you can iMCF or even 2A to interrupt it...is that new? Or did I just miss something? []

I
So, casualty report...it seems that Yoshi no longer gets a free full DNK after 4K (blocked), B (hit), except maybe if they're right at the wall. The first hit connects, but the rest just whiff right on through...barnacles.

I did find something fun, though: I always thought Nightmare's 3[ B] K was a frame trap, but you can iMCF or even 2A to interrupt it...is that new? Or did I just miss something? []
I was getting it on aPat the other day post patch. The distance was always fussy from what I could tell. I'm not so sure this has changed.

It's not a true unbeatable frame trap. It just puts him at decent odds. The only problem with MCF or 2A is the NSS A evades them. FC 3K beats all of his options after 3{B} for decent damage with the RCC 3B follow up.

Hrm. I was testing vs. Nightmare yesterday, on whom I could always get it pre-patch. Didn't work in an actual match either. Just the first hit, and then the second one went right through.

I'm just glad I know I can now iMCF it, because the one Nightmare player I play vs. a lot likes to use it every three seconds. []

[]

Just use 22_88B if the B hit's when 4K is blocked.

I'm really in love with 66A (BE) post backdash nerf. That shit gives you so much damage with a bA follow up.

I just stick to iMCF when i get 66A BE CH. But this seems more fun! How is the oki compared to iMCF setups, though?

Just use 22_88B if the B hit's when 4K is blocked.

I just stick to iMCF when i get 66A BE CH. But this seems more fun! How is the oki compared to iMCF setups, though?

I use gimmicky BT MED setups, so iMCF is better. I can't seem to ever get the range I need from regular iMCF after 66A (BE) unless they're near a wall so I use 6B (BE) and that isn't worth it to me.

66 A BE~ RCC iMCF I get almost everytime. I may be taking a small step forward sometimes, because I use 6 as my RCC direction. Muscle memory type 'isshhh, I guess =/

66 A BE~ RCC iMCF I get almost everytime. I may be taking a small step forward sometimes, because I use 6 as my RCC direction. Muscle memory type 'isshhh, I guess =/

I use 8, so that's definitely it.

Yoshi definitely takes a lot of work to bring out his potential. iMCF and a:B+K I would say is essential for to master if you want to compete the top tiers.

When do you use iMCF? When they're in range of it. That's a pretty good rule of thumb, since often it will be fast enough to stop their next option and be fairly safe if it whiffs. But to really master it's use you need to know the frames of everyone's +on block moves, what their fastest moves are, and what Yoshi's on hit and on block frames. It's important to be able to dash into an iMCF as well.

Your moves that are -2 to -6 on block are good moves to iMCF after. -6 is too much for most characters, but against Asta and maybe Sieg/NM it's prime time to iMCF. Stopped strings may induce a low disadvantage too, so it's good idea to iMCF there too. It all depends on their fastest moves or what moves you opponent likes to do.

Many characters have +on block moves, but they're often not that much +. Here, iMCF will usually beat them out. Knowing the exceptions is important though...

His best setup is probably 2K (hit)-> FC iMCF. If you're still RCCing to do your iMCF from standing from SCIV, you're doing it wrong. iMCF is i10 but i9 from crouch. Do the math (-2 on hit, i9 iMCF-> 9+2 = i11) and that's uninterruptible.

Also, if they block iMCF... it's -3 in this game. And you recover crouch. So... another iMCF comes in i12. Spam that shit!

One more thing! If you get hit by something that's only +4 on hit, this is primetime to iMCF. They're likely try and catch your step or something (BB 66A is very common pattern) and they often have to 2A to interrupt you. It's even better if they hit when you're crouching -- remember it's faster from crouch!

Oh yeah... and if you land it CH, you need to be able to RCC and 3B a:B+K 6 9A+BG.

in my opinion your best options post 3B_22B => a:B+K are -

- RCC 3B
- 9A+B if they ukemi - catches all for the most part. i'll miss back ukemi with it if i'm at tip range when doing a:B+K
if they just lay there or roll, i'll spam 3B and force them to get up. if you can anticipate when your opponent is gonna stand then apply more mix up with throws, FC3K more 3B and whatever you want to do from there.... yoshi's oki game is one of the best in the entire cast.

most people are starting to figure out how to get out of the UB trap by just laying there..or if they're using Lexia they can crybaby the UB lol.

The best option is to mix up between 9A+BG to catch the tech, or dash-9A+BG which hits grounded and will probably hit them if they tech anyway, though it's not guaranteed. 66A+B is an honorable mention, as it catches all but one tech direction and hits grounded. Catching right tech is inconsistent though, I think it has to do with the range; gotta be up close.

I'd add 6B in that list of interrupts, it's his fastest mid and sometimes you need a mid (to beat jump attack/2A mixups).

Does doing a tiny dash forward allow iMCF to connects on a tip hit 66A BE? It seems like iMCF is not an option in those common situations where you barely catch their backdash with 66A BE.

I've had a hard time trying to implement more variety with my yoshi.

I've been trying add

22_88 B
2A+B B
22 _88 A
22_88 K
44 B+K
44 A (i always whiff this move and/or i'm out of range to make it useful ..)

i've used them every once in a while.. 44 B+K more then any of the others.... but should i even bother adding them more frequently?? thoughts? i guess i'm just trying to expand and i feel like i've hit a plateau.

The best option is to mix up between 9A+BG to catch the tech, or dash-9A+BG which hits grounded and will probably hit them if they tech anyway, though it's not guaranteed. 66A+B is an honorable mention, as it catches all but one tech direction and hits grounded. Catching right tech is inconsistent though, I think it has to do with the range; gotta be up close.
after aB+K... (my opinion ^^):

1- 8A+BG
2- 236B (+60 dmg)
3- 66A+B
4- DNK (for ring out)
5- 2[A+B] / 2[A+B] 66 (near Wall)

on opponent BT:
1- 2[A+B] 66
2- step 3B for techtrap launcher

3B aB+K 236B -> 103 dmg

Back