SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

I wonder do any yoshi's here do 214 A+G on the fly? I actually substitute that grab with his regular A throw since yoshi has a very strong throw game imo, Yeah sacrifices oki but you can already do that with his B+G throw. 65 damage throw with 214 A+G and B throw with 55 damage there a force to be reckoned with.

Occasionally. My mind tends to forget a lot of good tools in the heat of a match. I generally prefer the oki and positioning from A+G but when the opponent has just enough health to be knocked out with Rainbow Drop, then maybe.
Plus I tend to fail the input half the time, if that's even possible.

You still get decent oki with the rainbow drop. You stay right next to them unlike in SCIV. The only problem is that it sends both of you backwards so it can only improve your opponent's ring positioning, unless, you know, it rings them out. But ring positioning doesn't always matter. I usually don't do it just because I'm usually running in and JGing in and grabbing or doing something weird like ducking at a distance to make them hesitate for iFC3K and then grabbing, so I don't always have time to do the motion.

Oh and you can tech the knockdown from the normal A-throw, and 3B still catches all rolls after Rainbow Drop. So the oki is actually better when using Rainbow Drop. If your 3B or 2K gets backteched after A+G, you can be punished hard if they're on the ball (2K whiff after that tech is around -20). 2B is a force-block if they back-tech, though.

I'm going to do a general punishment guide video for Yoshi in a few days. Anything you guys want to make sure I cover?

I'll definitely make a joke or two about the retarded 22B whiffs.

By the way, have any of you guys tried out combos with the ground stun 2A+B causes on mid air opponents? You can get 1K > G > 2A+B ground stun > 66A+B. It's much less damage than 1K > 8A but its an interesting option that I don't think has been explored much.

By the way, have any of you guys tried out combos with the ground stun 2A+B causes on mid air opponents? You can get 1K > G > 2A+B ground stun > 66A+B. It's much less damage than 1K > 8A but its an interesting option that I don't think has been explored much.

I actually think it helps build more meter from when I tested it out with a friend. More than the obligatory 1K>8A imho.

Its good. I find 1K > G > a:BK > 2A+B(hold to flea) > 66 to have more damage, though, clocking in at 89 or 96(cleanhit) Damage compared to the 1K > 8A.
Only problem is, you wont have a SDGF mixup.

Try it out!

Hey, I finished with the video. We'll just consider this the rough draft. It's so difficult to cover everything in one take but I did want it to be a one-take like Renic's 3rd Strike videos. The draw back to that is if you don't have note cards you forget a lot of shit.

Shout outs to everybody who helped contribute to this video whether they knew it or not. And shout outs to having a really mediocre video recorder on CRT.

My Yoshimitsu is now ten times better and I'm barely halfway through the video.

Well done.

Good video mkl, I'd suggest you to make the 2P Yoshi as well so you have an easier time demonstrating how to get get out of things like deathcopter with the record feature and playing it back at yourself.

Don't forget to use Instant replays for combo strings or certain attacks if you want to talk about it!

That was a good basics tutorial video, I like it. I hope you expand on it.

Instead of redoing that video entirely, I think I'll release a few videos to explain and demonstrate certain aspects of it better. This is the first of them.

Nice explanation. An option that also might work well against people auto-side teching after a:B+K is 6 214A+B. Good damage, good oki.

Also, has anyone explored DGF cancel options in detail? The fact that it recovers in crouch is interesting. For instance, WRB will break an opponent flashing red, whereas FC B doesn't although they look the same. You might want to use FC B so you can iMCF a frame faster in that situation, or the WR B for the break / guard damage. Not sure if either option can be stepped - which would provide a chance to apply a throw mix-up or 6K. Also, 6B is good to cancel into for it's speed and frame advantage on hit. (edit: think WR B can be stepped to one side only, WR A to the opposite side. WR A might be better actually, i16 +6 on hit vs. WR B frames i15, +2).

Another thing I'm experimenting with at the moment is his spinning teleport 4B+K. Some great ring positioning reversal options. Not sure exactly the negative frames where spinning teleport would escape where a regular step might not. Provides mix-up options anyway and you might be able to convince people to choose a horizontal block follow up (AA) instead of a vertical if applying it correctly leaving them open for other stuff (214A or even A+K might frame trap some stuff depending on your blocked opener e.g 6A).

lol following up on this, after WR A (blocked), opponent follows with generic BB:
- 66B beats patroklos and pyrrha
- first B will whiff with ZWEI. 4AAAA goes through it (make sure close enough) as does 6B.

I tested some other follow ups and other chars, pretty interesting stuff. If they try to follow with a low can probably FLE K / B+K that shit. Definitely going to use these DGF cancel mix-ups more!

I edited my previous primer link to include the new video. It covered a few more things, fixed some errors, but has corrupted video at the end of the combos section. I'll just do a combos video to supplement that. So in any case that's the final edition. Next up is the character specific punishment guides. Anyone you guys want covered most? I wanted to do Sieg first since most of us despise that matchup.

Back