SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

So I guess this isn't devastating to anyone else. 2K iMCF is a 1-frame link to beat out a fast 2A!

Anyway, results are in for 100 JF 4As (didn't take that long): 66 fails, 34 recoveries. I think it's safe to say that there is a 1/3 chance of recovery if you hit all the JFs.

For 3B launches, the usual guaranteed combos are:
3B, 4AAAA - 50 damage
3B, JF 4As - 60 damage
3B 6K - 60 damage
3B a:B+K - 61 or 66 damage, for Clean Hit a:B+K
3B, JF 4As, 6K - 86 damage
3B, JF 4As, a:B+K 3B - 88 or 95 damage, for Clean Hit a:B+K (may require special timing or a step forward to get a:B+K to hit)
3B, JF 4As, 4AAAAA 94 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF 4As, 6K 121 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF 4As, a:B+K 3B 122 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF4As, JF 4As 129 damage

So if you hit the first JF 4A series, do another one. Doing 4As after launches gives you the best damage on average if you can hit it 100% of the time. If you screw up, try to stop halfway, the oki isn't bad (an immediate throw afterward will connect perfectly if they stand right away).

2/3 of the time you'll just get 60 damage
1/3 - 1/9 of the time you'll get 94 damage
1/9 of the time you'll get 122 damage (don't push your luck with three, it won't relaunch and you are punishable on random failure)

Expected value is 74.44 damage. But it can be even better if two JF 4A series will give you a ringout, which requires only one recovery. 1/3 chance to win the round, think about that... now if just one successful JF 4A series will ringout, definitely go for it.

If you can 3B a:B+K DNK 2K, do that, though. That's 73/75/77/79 damage depending on whether a:B+K or DNK clean hits. You have to have a close launch for that to work, being to their side sometimes puts you closer, and it's character specific (never try it on Voldo or Aeon).
[/quote]
So I guess this isn't devastating to anyone else. 2K iMCF is a 1-frame link to beat out a fast 2A!

Anyway, results are in for 100 JF 4As (didn't take that long): 66 fails, 34 recoveries. I think it's safe to say that there is a 1/3 chance of recovery if you hit all the JFs.

For 3B launches, the usual guaranteed combos are:
3B, 4AAAA - 50 damage
3B, JF 4As - 60 damage
3B 6K - 60 damage
3B a:B+K - 61 or 66 damage, for Clean Hit a:B+K
3B, JF 4As, 6K - 86 damage
3B, JF 4As, a:B+K 3B - 88 or 95 damage, for Clean Hit a:B+K (may require special timing or a step forward to get a:B+K to hit)
3B, JF 4As, 4AAAAA 94 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF 4As, 6K 121 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF 4As, a:B+K 3B 122 damage
3B, JF 4As, JF4As, JF 4As 129 damage

So if you hit the first JF 4A series, do another one. Doing 4As after launches gives you the best damage on average if you can hit it 100% of the time. If you screw up, try to stop halfway, the oki isn't bad (an immediate throw afterward will connect perfectly if they stand right away).

2/3 of the time you'll just get 60 damage
1/3 - 1/9 of the time you'll get 94 damage
1/9 of the time you'll get 122 damage (don't push your luck with three, it won't relaunch and you are punishable on random failure)

Expected value is 74.44 damage. But it can be even better if two JF 4A series will give you a ringout, which requires only one recovery. 1/3 chance to win the round, think about that... now if just one successful JF 4A series will ringout, definitely go for it.

If you can 3B a:B+K DNK 2K, do that, though. That's 73/75/77/79 damage depending on whether a:B+K or DNK clean hits. You have to have a close launch for that to work, being to their side sometimes puts you closer, and it's character specific (never try it on Voldo or Aeon).
[/quote]

I don't advise using it against Astaroth either.

Hey I was thinking would be worth setting up an Anti - <insert char here> thread for each character. I think this was the original idea for the match-up discussion. They would cover the match-up thread stuff but in much greater detail i.e. what works, what doesn't - common situations to watch out for against those character, risk vs. rewards on yoshi shenanigans and the like. Also, stuff that you 100% must be able to deal with against X character.

Yoshi being a character that relies massively on insider knowledge, would be good to see

Hey I was thinking would be worth setting up an Anti - <insert char here> thread for each character. I think this was the original idea for the match-up discussion. They would cover the match-up thread stuff but in much greater detail i.e. what works, what doesn't - common situations to watch out for against those character, risk vs. rewards on yoshi shenanigans and the like. Also, stuff that you 100% must be able to deal with against X character.
This would be pretty pointless since you'd be able to cover all information in a single thread.

Does the dash forward guarantee a deathcopter after earslicer or can they roll if they read it?

Btw 66A+B also hits if they stay down.

I think there is a way out of it by rolling but I've never been able to do it. lol.

Does the dash forward guarantee a deathcopter after earslicer or can they roll if they read it?

Btw 66A+B also hits if they stay down.
If they tech roll to the side they have to JG it or get hit for the full combo (2(A+B)66 or 66A+B) unless you dash too far. If you don't dash far enough, it won't hit grounded. Some have said that some characters can time a sideroll to avoid it, but I haven't been able to replicate it consistently.

The main escape is back tech, but forward ground-roll or forward tech will work too if you dash too far. 66A+B will tech trap forward, back, and sometimes left tech (character specific, close spacing required) so mix that in (you're at -9 if they tech). Want to beat all tech directions? dash-in iFC 3K. Want to hit them grounded but still be in a good position if you're wrong and they tech? dash-in 2(A+B), 6(6) if it hits, FLE mixup if it doesn't (FLE B uninterruptable at the right dash-in timing). There, all the options you need to guess right 2/3 of the time.

Alright that Flea stance has been actually pretty useful. It takes a little room to set up with getting mauled, but all the fun gimmicks of that are enjoyable. The bouncing eats up guard, the low A swipe is nice too.

Using the 6K rather than 6KK has improved my game a lot, thanks. Still working on a:B+K and using Deathcopter effectively. Can someone explain the mechanics for the b:A move? If it's a counter, it does that cool black slash, a fair bit of damage, and a mini cutscene. HOW can I pull out the cool one consistently, rather than the wimpy sword smack?

Alright that Flea stance has been actually pretty useful. It takes a little room to set up with getting mauled, but all the fun gimmicks of that are enjoyable. The bouncing eats up guard, the low A swipe is nice too.

Using the 6K rather than 6KK has improved my game a lot, thanks. Still working on a:B+K and using Deathcopter effectively. Can someone explain the mechanics for the b:A move? If it's a counter, it does that cool black slash, a fair bit of damage, and a mini cutscene. HOW can I pull out the cool one consistently, rather than the wimpy sword smack?

You can combo into it, for example, CH 66a BE into bA.

Also can use it to end wall combos, but positioning might not be in your favor.

You can also get it off after a guard break, although there are more damaging options.

It's also possible to RCC off CH iMCF for bA counter, but unless you were trying to switch sides (back against wall or ring edge) then it isn't worth it. Might be char specific as well. Good for showing off!

Sounds like you guys don't use bA just for the huge damage you get on CH. It's 70 damage from a fast, safe move (i15 -10 on block). No other move can do that, besides 33B/66B, which isn't as safe (-12) and does less damage on CH but more on NH. If you need a safe move to keep someone that's attacking at unpredictable timings at midrange in check, bA is a good choice since it's the standard "safe mid that has high CH damage." DNK does the almost the same thing at i15 but doesn't work against TC and requires a difficult CH confirm or else it's very unsafe.

I use bA in the neutral game along with dash-iMCF as guesses as to when my opponent will come in with an attack. It's also great for things like well-spaced safe moves and safe TC spam. iMCF serves the same purpose but sometimes the range just won't cut it. I guess it's easier to just hold forward and 66B, but yoshi can do better than that.

It's good for a guess on wakeup as well, where you can chase down opponents trying to attack on wakeup (panic situation, etc). Also like you say, good in certain match-ups for the safety where 66B isn't viable, i.e. Cervy..

But, there are some characters that this whiffs on when they are ducked. Pat for example. wtf.

I do quite love that show off factor. Any other ways for a combo ending in the damaging bA?

What even is iMCF? I've heard it a lot, but I can't find it anywhere... I assume it's a fast punishing move, but I don't know what it is. Pardon my noobness.

What even is iMCF? I've heard it a lot, but I can't find it anywhere... I assume it's a fast punishing move, but I don't know what it is. Pardon my noobness.

It's the little just frame gut-punch he does (input is 2a:B). It's not really used as a punisher because it's only 10 dmg. It's used as an interruption tool as it's really fast and stuns on counter hit.

Coincidentally, it's one of his best moves if not the best (disregarding standard stuff such as throws bb aa 2a 2k) so if you want to become a good Yoshimitsu player you're gonna have to get it down almost 100%...

I'm considering getting a new thumb. Mine broke because of that move.

Back