SCVI Ivy's Move Analysis

I'm a bit late catching up on all this, but do we know the mechanics of her SS grab?

I've read that its unblockable and unbreakable. If this is the case, how can her close range game be bad when she has an unblockable, high damage tool that beats step and guard/GI?

I'm sure it helps her up-close game a lot but the input makes it so you can't just throw it out like a 3B or normal throw. I think you have to buffer it or do it when you can afford to wiggle around a bit beforehand. The latter issue can also telegraph it.

True, thanks to the input you'll rarely get to use it in the neutral game just like in previous games, but you should still be able to buffer it in so many close range situations where you expect your opponent to do literally anything other than mash or duck.

In its current state, this move sounds pretty terrifying to me.

Yeah, if you can get the timing down, which doesn't seem too hard, it looks really powerful...maybe it'll be too powerful and they'll nerf it.

Does RE block it? GI? I had a vague notion one of the defensive options could block it other than it just missing.

Btw, I should be able to get my hands on SC6 this weekend. Anything anyone wants testing if I get a chance?

Reactions: Kaz
heres a list:

3A+B (exile - move laids whip on ground) how to transition to SE?
4A+B (after aGI, followup guaranteed? What aGi properties?)
6BA (transition into SE?)
22BA (- on block? BT 2A auto-GI setup possible??)

22[ B] (- on block, safe?)
66[K] (- on block, safe?)
66[K]>SE 4B (sidestep RE?)
SE sidestep (sidestep RE?)

Hidden cancels:
B+K~G
44[A]~G

Any A+K, a~B, k~B moves hidden in SC?

Soul charge: (Any special properties?)
SS/CS still GI-able?
7_8_9B+K
2A+B,B
6B+K
8A+BB

Update:
SE 4B+K (Bait them to RE with 4[A]>SE, GC them with SE 4B+K)
9B+K (GC against RE at point blank =free RO. Question is does it still hit point blank?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!
Some of those are already on my list. If I get enough time on the game, I hope to test a bunch of setups and work out how punishable each of her ranged tools are.

RE: (I see different animations on varying charges. can u fill?)
level1-??
level2-??
level3-??
Can you elaborate on this? I wasn't aware RE had different levels.
Unless you meant GI? In which case, Andyroo and I intend to test GI levels on a bunch of different attacks to try and work out what the pattern is.

I cant think of anything, but I'd like to request videos of Ivy matches if possible :) I wanna see more of her gameplay
Don't expect much from my Ivy but I'll see what's possible.

Thx for helping out!

Depending on how long u hold RE, Ivy attacks with a sword or whip. On full charge is whip.

video

Last edited:
@Holycrap thanks for offering. Can you test if:
- 214A stilldoes 100 damage or 80
-Does 6AA and SE 4AA air it combo to 8A+B,B (you can try this after WrB,B or just have someonr jump)
-Does 1B combo to 8A+B,B
-Does 8A+B kill step,TC or go over lows
-WrA/[ A ] does it go into SE and whats the hit level.
-Does 22BA change in SC
-Does SE 3B(i think, its sc4 6b) change in SC.
-Does 2A+B,B have good use as Tech Trap.
-Does 3B combo to 4B7 on regular/counter hit.
-can 6kb be combo'd to 8A+B

I didn't get the time to test everything that was requested among testing my own stuff and actually playing matches, but hopefully I can answer most of these questions...

@Davo87
3A+B~[G] transitions into SE
4A+B full string is guaranteed after aGI. Didn't test which moves it parries, but it works vs 2A in near-neutral situations which will be very nice.
6B(A) can transition into SE (according to my notes, I don't remember testing this lol) but it's not a NC so I'm not convinced it'll have much use.
22BA (- on block? BT 2A auto-GI setup possible??) - I didn't test this but the second hit is high anyway.

22[ B] is very unsafe
66[K] is also unsafe

Hidden cancels:
B+K~G - doesn't work
44[A]~G - doesn't work

Any A+K, a~B, k~B moves hidden in SC?
bA and b[A] are the only ones I found.
I'm not sure if b[A] was a known move yet, but it's unsafe and doesn't KND so it's not great.

Soul charge: (Any special properties?)
SS/CS still GI-able? - didn't test
7_8_9B+K - still the same
2A+B,B - didn't test
6B+K - still the same
8A+BB - didn't test

Update:
SE 4B+K (Bait them to RE with 4[A]>SE, GC them with SE 4B+K) - I wasn't certain what you meant by this, but SE 4B+K should beat RE since it's a GC.
9B+K (GC against RE at point blank =free RO. Question is does it still hit point blank?) - I don't think it does since 22(B), SE 6B+K didn't combo but again, I didn't test this.

I didn't notice any different levels to RE, the RE attacks looked the same regardless.

@Kaz
Sorry I didn't cover everything, but I'll respond to what I can.
- 214A stilldoes 100 damage or 80
You can't see damage numbers in the current build, but it does a lot, quite possibly 100. It's still a slow af high though.
-Does 1B combo to 8A+B,B
Pushed back too far but didn't try at point blank or near a wall.
-Does 8A+B kill step,TC or go over lows
It catches roll in all directions so there's a good chance it kills step. Didn't get to test TC/TJ frames.
-Does 3B combo to 4B7 on regular/counter hit.
Nope, but it might do on LH. FC 1B combos into 4b7, but the window is very tight.

@Dudedood
Sadly couldn't get any of my Ivy games recorded. I was hoping to do so today but we got kicked out of the venue earlier than expected so only managed to get my Sophitia recorded :(

@HolyCarp thanks for the update for this Ivy build. I want her to be stronger at close range but looks like this is her norm for now.

What to do people think about SC6 Ivy ? SC3 Ivy has a good flow into SE mixups. SC4 Ivy has amazing reward for pokes. SC6 Ivy ranged pokes are also great but the rest of her kit confuses me....

-Moves that transition her into SE not positive on block.
-Loss of 2A, 2B. Old SC5 1B now in SE only...
-No close in tools like SC3 SW 44B, 44A.
-44_11_77B is in an awkward place. SC3 SW 44B should go here.
-A+K should go straight to SE like SC3.

SE needs to be an accessible powerhouse if some of her close range tools are gone.

Last edited:
@HolyCarp thanks for the update for this Ivy build. I want her to be stronger at close range but looks like this is her norm for now.

What to do people think about SC6 Ivy ? SC3 Ivy has a good flow into SE mixups. SC4 Ivy has amazing reward for pokes. SC6 Ivy ranged pokes are also great but the rest of her kit confuses me....

-Moves that transition her into SE not positive on block.
-Loss of 2A, 2B. Old SC5 1B now in SE only...
-No close in tools like SC3 SW 44B, 44A.
-44_11_77B is in an awkward place. SC3 SW 44B should go here.
-A+K should go straight to SE like SC3.

SE needs to be an accessible powerhouse if some of her close range tools are gone.
What about B+K?
It seems like she backs up and crouches to do the attack... maybe it evades short range fast attacks and crushes highs

Anyone tested this move?

What about B+K?
It seems like she backs up and crouches to do the attack... maybe it evades short range fast attacks and crushes highs

Anyone tested this move?
I'll do more testing next week at EVO!

If anyone has anything else they would like to test, let me know :)

I am hoping they will give us some time to practice before the tournament, I have only had a short time to play the new Ivy and would like to be able to get some nice footage for you all since it will be streamed.

I'll do more testing next week at EVO!

If anyone has anything else they would like to test, let me know :)

I am hoping they will give us some time to practice before the tournament, I have only had a short time to play the new Ivy and would like to be able to get some nice footage for you all since it will be streamed.
GL at EVO, don’t forget to spam those portal grabs!

I’m interested in 3B’s LH conditions.
It gets LH at such an oddly specific angle, there must be a setup for it. Could you try 44[A] (with the AT to leave them BT) and immediately have them crouch into a 3B follow up? Worth checking if the LH is there for BT mixups.

I’m convinced I’ve had 3B LH when they weren’t at that angle, but I tested it vs CH, backstep, whiff punish and crouch, and none triggered it. So if it ever happens in a match, try to take note of whatever conditions you can (maybe a specific health or meter range or the number on the clock like Yoshi’s old Tekken moves?).

Also, if you do any frame data testing, let me know if you agree that Ivy lick is only i13 in this game.

Back