Setsuka - Q&A Thread

What kind a stick are you using? When I had on of the cheap hori EX2's I could not do a JF Umbrella to save my life. Got a HRAP3 and they started popping out. Not saying it's guaranteed, but I could definitely feel the difference between the two sticks.

I've pulled them off on my EX2, but this is why I wish Microsoft would allow X-Arcade to make a 360 adapter (since I've already replaced the stick on mine). Either way, it can be done, just going to take more practice.

Inputting 214~3bA

So yeah, I'm having trouble pulling off the umbrella, which is a pain since it's one of Set's staple moves. Always end up doing a 214A or a 3A... any tips?

Inputting 214~3bA

So yeah, I'm having trouble pulling off the umbrella, which is a pain since it's one of Set's staple moves. Always end up doing a 214A or a 3A... any tips?

Are you using a pad or stick?

On a pad something that helps me is on the slide input don't take your thumb off B to fast. When I was learning it it seemed like I was always getting 2143A when I didn't hold my thumb on B long enough.

was hoping to pick something up about general playstyle from shenrei a couple weeks ago, but drunk warblerei didn't cut it lol.

what would be good moves to throw out up close generally, except for 1B:B? also, any good tactics to escape pressure, besides the semi-useful 4A?

i haven't played umbrella girl in a while, so i kinda need a push in the right direction.

IMO Sets is a mid-range character. Upclose I abuse 1B:B to create distance, that move has amazing pushback and is only -8 on block. Otherwise I would AA/BB into step, 2A is a staple obviously. 44B+K for standing punish of anything more than -14. 4A is really really good between close and mid range. 214 K is great on hit and is decently fast, 214 A is a minor frame trap on block at -2. 6K is a i14 interrupter, but unsafe on block, so use sparingly. If you are feeling gutsy, Umbrella will interrupt lots of things as well.

Setsuka doesn't really have many evasive moves in her arsenal aside from 4A and A+K, but she's fast enough to interrupt most things under pressure. If you know a high is coming umb TC's at frame 1 and 3A at frame 4. A+B is good after a blocked 11B or 2B+K, but I prefer to step there instead. BTW A+K is something I need to use more myself, it can create a lot of trouble for lizardman and voldo.

Sets can be played well in different ways. I generally start off with mid-range, then when my momentum builds up, I stick to close range. Umbrella is a good way of escaping pressure as it puts fear into the opponent of when to attack. She has good basics up close. 11A and 4A are extremely solid evasive moves. Used well, 11A can dodge most high and mid horizontals, even during disadvantage since it TC's at the 8th frame, and on counter hit, that's a shit load of damage + momentum, and on non-counter hit, you're still in very good position to do things.

Check out any of the recent vids on the Video thread Genver

Resuming discussion about Setsuka's mix up on video thread :)
After I saw raijin's match expecially Kilik VS Setsuka

I found that setsuka's 66B is good for approaching your opponent
66B will force your opponent to duck after that
When your opponent already learn to duck and punish it

66B have some potential mix up ( I said setsuka lack of mix up, now I know she isn't LOL )
here's what I found on my previous match:
After 66B....
1. throw
2. silver moon combo
3. 2A+B
4. any ideas?

22A+B A On grounded opponent is really fascinating
when I tried to stay on ground
22A+B A will drive you to the wall and...wall combo :)

but looks like 22A+B A still too slow sometimes
what do you usually do on grounded opponent except 22A+B A?

Raijin usually do 2A+B, 22A+B A and 33B if I'm not mistaken LOL :)

About 66B, I don't use it that much, so I won't comment on it.

VS grounded I use 1B:B and 11B, A+K B to relaunch if they sleep. Once they learn to stand up I can start using B+K, 2A+B, 1A: A: A, 1B:B, and throw.

66BA (I prefer this instead of just 66B, cos' it has one more hit after the B) is good for opening attack, but the problem is when playing against a good opponent and he blocks, you're going to eat crap load of damage. I still think it's a good move, though, and I use it a lot in between to cover distances especially when the opponent is trying to space himself out.
For me, when I play Setsuka, my style is rush-down and just keep wailing as much as possible, because I feel very insecure if I don't. So, at the beginning of each fight, I straight away rush towards the opponent. LOL

Doing a B+G throw after 66B, like you say, is good.
But I think it's very hard and dangerous to do the Silver Moon combo series (B+K series) after 66B, due to recovery frames and the slow nature of B+K.

I do 2A+B after 66B has knocked them down, but again, if the opponent rolls, 2A+B won't connect and if he gets up fast enough, you're facing a 50-50% chance of punishment.

However, if 2A+B connects, then I do 22_88A+B to follow up and it's very good. So far, I've not whiffed 22_88A+B if 2A+B connects.

Sometimes, when the opponent is knocked down after 66B, I also do A+K, B.
Naturally, after that, I'm supposed to do JF Umbrella, but.......I haven't reached that part yet. X-D
IMO, JF Umbrella is the epitome of skill for the serious Setsuka player.
It's so farking fast and instant that I think anyone can win an entire match of 5 rounds in a row just by spamming JF Umbrella.

I think it's ok not to master 1A : A : A, 1B: B or even the silver moon series, as long as you know............JF UMBRELLA!!!! Even the normal Umbrella is enough to let you go a long way.

Oh, and like EltonShan says, A+K B will create a lot of problems for Lizardman and Voldo.
Any respectful Lizardman / Voldo user will never dream of using that crawling stance.
It's like A+K B is just designed to rape these 2 guys. X-D

hi thx for the answer :)
66BA is good but the A part can be ducked. So shouldn't use this too often
It will be easily punished
66B is better I think

ah yeah A+K B on grounded opponent how can I forgot that XD
1B:B ? gotta use that :)

and about lizard and voldo crawl
yes A+K B is really good on em
but what a pity...it doesn't make them launch

I just wondering how u usually make use A+K A
is it just for interupt and approaching the opponent?
any other usage?

sometimes I use A+K for approach the enemy and do BT set up.
I guess It also can avoid low attack :)

any other usage?

For me, A+K A is for covering distances, especially when the opponent keeps spamming low attacks on me. After A+K A, I usually do B+G throw, and the rest of the time, I do that BT B+K : B move. :-D

Problem with this A+K A ---> BT B+K : B combo is that for some reason, even after they've been hit by A+K A, they can still block the BT B+K : B part.

We gotta wait for opinions from the real Sets players, though.

Btw, are you planning to main Sets? I see in your 3 pics that you main Sieg, X and Nightmare.
Maybe it's time you take out Sieg, and replace him with Sets. :-D

Welcome to the Setsuka Fan Club! :-D

66B is better I think

any other usage?

IMO 1B:B is setsuka's best move, combo on any hit, hits grounded, creates space, safe, and has slight tracking. So yeah, spam that until they learn to GI the second hit, which is dangerous in the first place.

A+K A is +13~+14 on hit, so BT A is guaranteed sometimes. But it also makes BT throw unduckable by most 2A's and uninterruptible, giving you the opportunity to BT B+K B if they start ducking. When A+K A crosses over on hit, Umbrella is guaranteed. Furthermore, A+K A is -3 on block, a very nice set up for side step or umbrella. Come to think of it, I gotta use A+K A more myself.

hoo I learn something new about A+K A THX dude...:)

If I have something to ask I can count on ya guys :D

@NIKAR
Btw, are you planning to main Sets? I see in your 3 pics that you main Sieg, X and Nightmare.
Maybe it's time you take out Sieg, and replace him with Sets. :-D

Welcome to the Setsuka Fan Club! :-D

Sadly setsuka doesn't suit my style LOL
I asked so many question so I can teach raijin to be a good setsuka player
usually I learn the theory and raijin will implement it

sometimes I use setsuka
but......
My setsuka's execution is BAD X(
raijin is much better.

take out my sieg?...sigh
I've practiced really hard to be a good sieg player...
is my sieg really bad? :(

66B is better I think

any other usage?

66B isn't really a good move. It's -16 on block so even if they duck when you don't do the high, you're still at -11. It may be good now and then to throw out if you want to confuse your opponent somewhat, but use it sparingly as the animation is telegraphed. 66BA does have its uses during combos or when you want to ring someone out. In any other situation, you have to catch someone off guard with it, such as when someone backsteps.

1B:B is definitely a Setsuka staple. It is also somewhat tricky to GI the second hit. If they're stupid enough to try to GI after blocking the first hit, and they mistime the GI, they will be eating the second hit after blocking the first hit, and eat some major combo damage. Them whiffing GI also means a free B+K for you if you bait with the second hit.

A+KA is a complicated move. Angrel told me it's a step killer and he's right. On hit, NH or CH, you have a very solid BT B+K:B/throw mixup. Note that after BT B+K:B hits, you can normally land an A+KB, but more often than not, Setsuka will end up in BT after. On block, things get a little different. Used at close range, she will not end up in BT if A+KA is blocked, so keep that in mind. Some people like to throw after blocking this move, so BT or not, if you expect a throw, duck and punish with FC3A+B. You also have enough frames to "checkduck" to see if they will throw or not. She's at -5 on block (says -3 on the frame data but I say that is incorrect).

Damn, so much good Setsuka info from Shenrei and Eltoshan! :-D

take out my sieg?...sigh I've practiced really hard to be a good sieg player...is my sieg really bad? :(
LOL, I'm not sure if your Sieg is bad, but from the way you talk, you definitely is a force to reckon with. For all we know, you're probably some elite player maining Siegfried. :-D

Btw, I just tried out Nightmare today and he's soooo COOL! Damn, I'm gonna go training with him tomorrow. He's pretty easy and comfortable to use, though. I'm still maining Sets but will put Nightmare as 2nd main. If he gets really good, I may even main him. :-D

Dear Setsuka, why did Namco give you such hard-to-input moves??!!! Did you offend them?

Good day,
Xeon

I've been training a lot with Setsuka lately and I think i'm finally getting the hang of all of her JFs and I was wondering if there is any way to hit grounded opponents who like to roll out of the way. 2A+B and A+KB tend to whiff a lot and 11A doesn't hit grounded opponents (it'd be great if it did). Is 1B:B her best option?

I've been training a lot with Setsuka lately and I think i'm finally getting the hang of all of her JFs and I was wondering if there is any way to hit grounded opponents who like to roll out of the way. 2A+B and A+KB tend to whiff a lot and 11A doesn't hit grounded opponents (it'd be great if it did). Is 1B:B her best option?

sometimes 22 A+B A is also good on grounded opponent
but I think 1B:B still faster

LOL, I'm not sure if your Sieg is bad, but from the way you talk, you definitely is a force to reckon with. For all we know, you're probably some elite player maining Siegfried. :-D

Btw, I just tried out Nightmare today and he's soooo COOL! Damn, I'm gonna go training with him tomorrow. He's pretty easy and comfortable to use, though. I'm still maining Sets but will put Nightmare as 2nd main. If he gets really good, I may even main him. :-D

elite player? LOL
nah...I just a casual player. ;P

Nightmare? You should check Nightmare forum before choose him as your main :)
Nightmare is more complicated and hard to master than it looks LOL

Back