Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well random online ratings are kinda whatever anyway. And even in old soul calibur titles I didnt play the story more than once neither do I know anyone who remembers that stuff. And even though ScVs story was bad according to general opinion Zwei viola pat are the best new characters since tira. Also oprah is definitely the best greek. So basically my point is i didnt pick any of these characters because of their role in the story but because of the character design and maybe a little bit of backstory. But that also goes for every other character in sc pre V. So I'm not saying story is completely unimportant if we got one yey i guess. But it should never be the main focus in development. Id rather have a shitty story with well designed characters tha nthe other way around or even completely story unrelated characters.

Story mode is really interesting if you play the game just "for the journey", while gameplay and characters' attractiveness are best if you focus only on the fighting side.

As said Oh_my_foot, except for ZWEI, Viola, and Pattycakes, the newcomers were bland and pale copies of the ones they were supposed to succeed to. Oprah had the advantage of an excellent design (imho), though her moveset was recycled.

I kinda agree with the "not too much focus on the story and more on characters", but in SCV's case, none of these points were a complete success.

well i dont see it like that. Aside from mimics the roster was pretty good. Replacement or not theyre pretty much the same.

Looking from the business side of things, to put a lot of story content is obviously gonna cost a lot of money. NamcoBandai has a sales target expectancy when they are about to release every game. In comparison to Tekken, the sales target for SC is lower than Tekken's. My point I'm getting at is how much story content should NamcoBandai invest in? If you're suggesting the NeverRealmStudios route of making stories with just more cutscenes and perhaps some generic interactive form of game play, then I say it's not worth the risk because while there are ppl out there who don't like to get spoiled out there, I'm pretty sure there also lots of ppl like me and CrashX who rather prefer watching the story on Youtube (and other video sites) without having to buy the game.

Last edited:
The game should have a good story even if it's just a backstory, story is what gives your characters character and wanting wins with your favourite characters is what drives competition.

It's all connected one way or another despite whatever else you want to believe.

I never said anyone picked a character for story reasons, I said the story gives the characters their character which is why they do what they do aka gameplay and:

The thing that makes people wanna buy it are cool characters and sick looking gameplay.

Tis all connected, you won't get one without the other.

nah thats simply character design of course characters have backstories to explain where they are from etc. But its not main story related so you dont need one for it.

Of course it's main story related, everything stems from the story as a whole. The backstory was once the main story. Before they made the prequels what happened to Darth Vader was just a backstory for example and that later even became a main story.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. That's why it's called a vacuum. Kappa

They don't exactly need a "story mode" per say. Just a good selection of offline modes:

1. Their traditional 8 to 10 match Arcade mode with few cutscenes and an ending for every character. If players want stories for characters, this should be it.
2. An extensive offline mode. Two ideas from past games include..
2a. Edge Master Mode, their more extensive arcade mode. This could be similar to Soul Edge, which consisted of writing to illustrate the stories of each character, and rewarded players with more weapons.
or
2b. Weapon Master Mode, like SCII.
3. Quick Battle, an offline mode used to put creations to good use. Similar to SCV.

In addition to this, better offline rewards, like default character costumes, artwork for gallery, character profiles and backstories, exhibitions, etc.

It's really not that difficult to make. Much of their time spent on a singular story mode could be used to those three things and Online Mode. That's it.

Oh, and for online mode, they need an Online training mode.

Last edited:
I choose my main for other reasons that are not story related.
  • SC2, Cassandra cuz she was a new character and I was new to the Soul Calibur series.
  • SC3, Cervantes because I was getting good in executing iGDR and thus I believe I can win with him with that level of execution.
  • SC4, Cervantes (same reason as in SC3).
  • SC5, Cervantes (same reason as in SC3).

Last edited:
I'm one of those players who will pay attention to the story if I've got nothing better to do, but if I'm playing with friends we generally couldn't care less beyond what the characters can do or why they are how they are.

One thing I will say outright against the story is I tend to not care about characters I don't like, but I will pay attention to the characters I do like.

I'm not really one to pick a main, certainly not based on story although as I've said I might be interested later on, but if I did I'd go for Yoshimitsu since SC4 when he was no longer basically a Mitsu clone and then Astaroth and Cervantes but generally I like to learn most of the characters except the ones I really don't like *cough* Taki *cough* Sophie *ahem*

Character story is pretty much something I look at after I main the character for quite some time.
Exactly. The main reason I got into my main character (which in my case is Voldo) was because his gameplay and aesthetics intrigued me the most out of the cast. Never really touched his story until I bothered look at the bios.

Gameplay first, Story later.

I'm no business expert, but let's pretend story is essential from a business POV. Doesn't youtube pay their uploaders for having reached a certain amount of views? Cuz I was thinking for that income that the uploader earns why can't game companies get a piece of the pie? Cuz the way I see it is that the uploader would display part of the game companies' content which to me is sorta damaging the company since ppl like myself would just watch the game's story w/o having to buy the game and plan on not doing so.

I'm one of those players who will pay attention to the story if I've got nothing better to do, but if I'm playing with friends we generally couldn't care less beyond what the characters can do or why they are how they are.

One thing I will say outright against the story is I tend to not care about characters I don't like, but I will pay attention to the characters I do like.

I'm not really one to pick a main, certainly not based on story although as I've said I might be interested later on, but if I did I'd go for Yoshimitsu since SC4 when he was no longer basically a Mitsu clone and then Astaroth and Cervantes but generally I like to learn most of the characters except the ones I really don't like *cough* Taki *cough* Sophie *ahem*
I know it's a little off topic, but what is your beef with Sophitia and Taki?

On topic, most of the older Soul Calibur games didn't have a dedicated story for the main plot and only explored story in bios and endings.

I know it's a little off topic, but what is your beef with Sophitia and Taki?

On topic, most of the older Soul Calibur games didn't have a dedicated story for the main plot and only explored story in bios and endings.

Well actually I was kidding, I just never liked learning them back in SC4 and thought I'd have a jab at some veterans. What was there that wasn't there is that I didn't mention any SC5 characters... Like at all... Make of that what you will.

On your other comment that's sort of how I prefer it, the story should compliment the gameplay and it is essential to have a story to back up what's happening in the game, but as you've implied, a dedicated story mode isn't strictly necessary although as I mentioned earlier I now look back on SC4's story mode with a kind of fondness, if for nothing else, it's uniqueness at the very least in terms of the tag-team gameplay... Unlike SC5 which I would be happy never to hear of ever again.

Basically I like endings and I think the story can have something to offer but only for the characters that end up interesting me. If it were a bunch of new characters for instance *cough* SC5 *ahem* they'd have to have interesting gameplay before I'd care enough to hear about them but it definitely adds something and speaks well of the production overall when that happens... It just can be whole lot worse when that doesn't happen... You get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back