Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a lot of posts like this when Tekken 7 was in development. Wasn't really impressed with the final product.
Forgive me if I don't have faith in Bamco's ability to improve on things like these in under a year's time.

Ooooh I was really vouching for Ave and Macaulyn but that reminder of Tekken 7 is just a bit too accurate . . .

It's true that this is accurate. But is it not also true that Soulcalibur has always looked better than Tekken in terms of graphics anyway?

tea, sis.gif

It blows my mind that people are complaining about the graphics. Looking at the official screenshots for this game and even looking at Tekken 7 on PC, there's a colossal difference. Maybe it's because I know where to look, but I'm already seeing smoother models with higher poly counts, sharper, more detailed textures, smoother shadows, superior Ambient Occlusion. The textures are clearly higher resolution - look at places where textures would be transparent (the lace around sophitia's sleeves) and you'll see what I mean. Spin up Tekken on PC and go hunting for that kind of stuff in Ansel and you'll see exactly where Bamco cut corners.

I will admit that the skin texture on characters in Tekken looks better from what I can tell (zoom in on any part of King's body and get your ass whooped by the level of detail) but I feel like that's more of a stylistic choice. Tekken games lately have embraced a more gritty style whereas Soul Calibur games have always had a certain level of aesthetic cleanliness to them that seems to persist. Overall, it's a better looking game though.

Let's just hope they don't ruin it by throwing an ugly grain filter on it like they did with Tekken 7.

I wonder what it comes down to. Budget? Talent? Time? Has the series really sold so poorly that it cannot be afforded these things? Or is it Bamco trying to get more bang for less buck?
Honestly the more I see of this generation, the more I think we're reaching the point of diminishing returns in terms of graphics -or at least of what we can realistically expect of game developers. People are quick to blame the hardware or the budgets, but really, how good can a character model get before people stop caring? (or even noticing really). I agree about the hair transparencies in particular, but at this point I'd say the general look of the character models is just down to stylistic choices.

By the way these models seem to have a higher polygon count, it's just the that the old engine had superb lighting and UE4 just looks flat in comparison. I will grant them that cloth physics are much nicer now, and the old engine could never do stages as detailed as the one shown in the trailer.

Last edited:
What I fear most about the greedy Namco are not the graphics but the content they are planning to cut from the game to sell it in pieces calling it DLCs.

Those glorious days of Soul Calibur III when you could unlock everything for free just investing some effort and time are for now gone... which is sad and intolerable.

I have never paid for a DLC and I will never do it. Unfortunately most people pay for DLCs and that's the reason why they exist.

But yeah, it is obvious the low effort they put lately in videogames. Not only Namco but just about any other company. They just want money in the end. The lack of passion is the main thing that is killing videogames. The evolution you could see from one game to the next one kinda ended in PS2 era. The technology had limits back then but they used all the potential. On PS3 they started focusing around graphics (bad decision).

Nowadays they have power and almost unlimited technology (specially if we are talking about PC version) but most companies use the easy route. They just import animations and resources from previous games (specially in fighting games genre).

I hope SC VI will get a better treatment than Tekken 7 (I am one of those Lei Wulong fans that got heartbroken).

Last edited:
I'll be buying this on Console and pc so graphics will look like crap on Console and amazing on pc.

To be honest the graphical improvements will be mostly in the environments and effects. Sophitia and Mitsurugi only look slightly better in their models than the SCIV and SCV models. But then again those models were already a high bar.

Tekken 7 on PC looks stunning to me but it's in the whole picture. Character models alone won't be blowing your mind but seeing the game in crisp 1080p 60fps or even 4K will eye candy to the max.

I expect about the same for SCVI. At the end of the day I just don't care too much. I want the damn game so bad that I'm buying it on two platforms

I hope Kilik will have this design. They nailed it in Soul Calibur II. At least in the concept art. In-game it didn't look so well.
I'm pretty excited to see how they plan to redo a lot of the outfits in SCI, while there are others that I think should be revised, as we know the SCI era didn't have the hardware to make clothing as intricate as they are in later games but some of my least liked costumes are in SCI. One particularly is Xianghua's.

I don't know how culturally accurate it is, but seeing it today gives me that aerobics-instructor vibe with those pants and that headband...
xiasc1cg1-jpg.4435

I do however like what they were going for in her SCIII concept art. Conveniently its clearly based on it and a much better look for it.

Last edited:
I wonder how the new character selection screen will look ?

So the fact that they don't mention their age on their bio profile could mean that the events of SC6 aren't set in a particular year, but more during a certain period, somewhere between SC1 and SC2 ?

How should Nightmare look in this game? I feel like getting him to look good is very important as the mascot.

Here's what he looked like in SCI:

1081202-nightmare_01.jpg

And how he looked in SCII:

NightmareII.jpg

While we don't know the full extent of the story, it's clear liberties are being taken (prominent with Sophitia's costume). Maybe they should go with the one from SCII more, as that is the most iconic version of Nightmare. What do you think?

Last edited:
How should Nightmare look in this game? I feel like getting him to look good is very important as the mascot.

1081202-nightmare_01.jpg

NightmareII.jpg

While we don't know the full extent of the story, it's clear liberties are being taken (prominent with Sophitia's costume). Maybe they should go with the second on from SCII more, as that is the most iconic version of Nightmare. What do you think?
His SC1 costume did not age well at all. His SC2 looks far better IMO. I wouldn't mind if they made a revamp version of his SC2 look.
I mean, they even made this version of him their logo for project soul, so it's clearly favored..

1081202-nightmare_01.jpg

NightmareII.jpg

While we don't know the full extent of the story, it's clear liberties are being taken (prominent with Sophitia's costume). Maybe they should go with the one from SCII more, as that is the most iconic version of Nightmare. What do you think?

If they're going with Siegfried is Nightmare then SCII outfit would be the better choice. If it's something else, or someone else the 'leaked' concept arts look great to me too.

1081202-nightmare_01.jpg

NightmareII.jpg

Or they could just take both of his looks and combine them, just with Siegfried as the host instead of Raphael/Dumas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the characters have updated looks from multiple games. Especially with SF making bank selling nostalgia costumes. To your point, Nightmare probably has either both costumes, a hybrid of the two, or the one from SC2. I can't see him only having the SC1 armor.

While we don't know the full extent of the story, it's clear liberties are being taken (prominent with Sophitia's costume). Maybe they should go with the second on from SCII more, as that is the most iconic version of Nightmare. What do you think?

I would vote for SC II Nightmare any day. It's just a iconic design they pulled off and it is perfect. One of my favorite design choices for this franchise since the first time I saw it as a kid specially comparing it to the one from SC I which i did not like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back