Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny-NEW GAME-

If they're not going to give us new stages as DLC, I at least want the time of day change feature in SCIV.

I don't really get the appeal of time of day changes. I mean... if it's night time, does Rock help Yoshi set up the flood lights so they can see what they are doing when they battle. And is it real time? Or does the sun just go round and round during a 5 minute match?

This had better come to the main consoles... I just can't see playing a fighting game on a handheld, and local vs will be practically impossible (without having 2 psps and 2 copies of the game).

Still, it'll be interesting to see what "improvements" they come up with. The gamespot article mentions: "the Project Soul team has built this version specifically to target beginners and novice players with SCIV's content but has added improvements" which probably means more of a focus on the story mode and special vs side of things.

The day/night thing... better just be different stages. The day/night transistions in Soul Edge just looked ridiculous, the fights don't last that long.

"Key components of SCIV, like critical finish, soul crush, and armor destruction, are also included but have been improved" - Any theories here? I'm predicting easier CF's, and maybe damaged armor states for all of the custom bits, and maybe an actual "health" indicator on your armor's status that shows if its about to break or not.

The new character is almost certainly going to be DLC at some point. Removing the star wars characters gives them 2 more empty spots left to fill (if the selection screen is arranged the same as it is now).

The 80 tutorial-esque missions mentioned sound like a good idea, something terribly missing from SC4.

It just struck me that the new character might have a toned-down version of Algol's moveset. I know that sounds stupid, but follow me here:

Extendable fore-arm mounted blades: From the art we see that one's extended and one's retracted. I wouldn't be surprised if they only spring out when Don Pierre swipes his arms, basically giving him Algol's SE and SC attacks with shorter range.

Coins: Weaker bubbles, faster travel and shorter range.

Chair: Throne. Character art usually doesn't include elements that the character doesn't have in combat anyway, and we already have a character who fights with his chair. As for the teleporting involved, Don Pierre has the "magical circus ringmaster" stereotype that's common in manga and anime, and teleporting is often part of that package.

The two things that don't immediately snap-to are the question of floating/walking and whether he would retain Algol's non-arm-based sword-creation attacks (like when the spikes shoot out of his back.) I'd imagine that the animations would be modified so that he only gets the arm-swords, perhaps replacing the ribs and spikes with confetti or magical energy or something.

[edit: I should have looked at the pic again, I didn't notice a bunch of details (including the four suits on his crest.) I still think he's got the big top elements going, what with the onesie, the top-hat, and the ring-master's jacket. Still, he's also got some magical gambler elements in there. He may very well throw cards instead of (or in addition to) coins. Also, did anyone notice that his chair-back is a giant rat (wearing a crown) with his mustache? Its face is obscured by the skull emblem, but it's clearly a rat or neutrino or pikachu.]

This release proves to me once again that Namco doesn't care about it's hardcore audience anymore. They will continue to cater to the casual people, releasing shitty games because its the quickest way for them to make a buck.

And you thought having to use a pad was bad...

Now I'm just waiting for Namco to release a DS version just so we can all try and play SC with a stylus.

Note: I like both the PSP and the DS... but come on, Tekken 5:DR was terrible to play on the PSP and SC will be no better. Heck, we'll be lucky if Namco don't find a way to make it worse.

I dunno how they'd patch him into 360/PS3 without removing the SW guys though. Where can he sit on the character select screen?
They could always sell SC4:BD as a DLC add-on and have it revamp the character select screen.

Also, in the video interview they mentioned that they're working on more than one new character.

This might also mean that Hwang and Li Long will be making a return. :D

They could always sell SC4:BD as a DLC add-on and have it revamp the character select screen.

Also, in the video interview they mentioned that they're working on more than one new character.

This might also mean that Hwang and Li Long will be making a return. :D

Or just add in more characters into that "star" bonus character slot.

If this guy is released as DLC, he will most-likely be an Algol clone, but with a fucked up hitbox like all the other bonus characters.

Cool. Gimme something to do on the road. now my psp is no longer JUST an MP3 player. heh.

Long as talim is in it seeing as how they took away one of my two characters. -_-

Kinda odd how they're puttin everything on psp now....more like...HOW are they putting everything on psp?
Tekken 6 is gonna be on psp too.......

I doubt I will ever buy a PSP, and fighters are horrible to play on handhelds. Tekken DR was ass, so why do think SC would work?

And that new character suddenly reminds me of Dick Dastardly from Wacky Racers. The 'stache is just...lol

Maybe if i had a PSP, i might, might, might(did i stress the might enough?) pick it up. But i'm never really "Gaming on the Go." Nor do i want to play a fighting game on a tiny ass screen. Gotta be better than a shooter on that system though, wouldn't it?

FINALLY, a Soul Calibur PSP game in the works! I can't wait! =D

I'm not sure what to think about the new character, but hey, at least he's completely original, unlike most of the crap Namco put in the previous Soul Caliburs.....

Back