Soul Calibur V Gameplay Demos from EVO2K11!

• Admin
Word on the news vine is that during the upcoming top 8 stream for Tekken 6 at Evolution 2K11, Namco Bandai Games International and @FilthieRich will be announcing a few new reveals for Soul Calibur 5! The top 8 stream for Tekken 6 will begin immediately after the end of top 8 for BlazBlue.

You can tune into the live stream of the Evolution 2K11 Fighting Game Championships at their live page: http://evo2k.com/live/. Stick to 8WayRun.Com as the tournaments go on for continuing coverage of the reveals. This post will be periodically updated as news is released.

12:25pm : opening statements. Introduction of Katsuhiro Harada and Daishi Odashima.

12:27pm : new character announced: Leihua, Xianghua's daughter.

Untitled-1.jpg

12:29pm : gameplay demo with Zwei and Patroclus, explaining the new critical edge system; it appears that critical edge supers can also ring out. In addition, we also get to see a significant amount of gameplay featuring Zwei's "partner" Ein.
12:33pm : gameplay demo with Ivy and Natsu. Natsu appears to play just like Taki.
12:37pm : gameplay demo with Mitsurugi and Siegfried. Match takes place on Zwei's new "boundless" stage which has no ring outs or walls. The game looks much faster paced than its predecessors.
12:41pm : closing remarks from Daishi Odashima and Katsuhiro Harada wishing that the game will be featured in an upcoming EVO tournament. Planned release for the game to be 2012, as expected.

2:55pm : @filthirich announces a playable demo of Soul Calibur 5 at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

Last edited:
Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
There's no reason to have CFs in SCV becuase they've introduced the Critical Edges which is basically a mini CF isn't it? And let's be honest here, the CFs in IV were absolute shit so why you'd want them in V is beyond me..

They've as much as said there won't be critical finishes in this game.
Didn't you say there wouldn't be any armor damage?
The EVO coverage told us there were 2 systems for your meter, and that they are looking into a 3rd system the meter. So there is still a chance, that Critical Finishers will make a return.

Why are you all desperate for CFs? CFs were fucking shit in IV, they'd only get worse in V.

LOL "Summoning Persona", please someone give Zwei a evoker, he needs to shoot himself.

Since the beginning he was similar to a Jojo's character, but now with the stand can't unsee.

I defended this character...until now. The design was fine, the weapon didn't fit the character at all but...well it didn't matter to much because at least it was a brand new style.

But that summoning shit...is just stupid. May be with other type of character (a warlock or something similar) could work, but with a big muscled guy with sword...no, just no.

About Leihua... Allmymoney.jpg

I personally approve Xianghua's successor. She is fucking kawaiii.

Her haircut is kind of cliché, but still is cute as hell. I don't know her at all, but I already prefer she to her mother.

PD: Xian didn't change too much in 17 years...or may be this is an "old picture" when the daughter was 10 years or so

The EVO coverage told us there were 2 systems for your meter, and that they are looking into a 3rd system the meter. So there is still a chance, that Critical Finishers will make a return.
Oh God I hope they won't return... Hey, in the video from Comic-con CFs were called as "unfair"... So I think that they'll be removed entirelly... But to be honest I think we already know that CE attacks are replacing them...

Didn't you say there wouldn't be any armor damage?

I said They wanted something more classy than blowing peoples clothes off (which is what they said literally, yes including the term classy).

If I remember right specifically it was that they didn't like the CF system as it was, and it needed to be changed. I read that as them saying 'no CF's', but mileage will vary :p

The two systems that have been hinted at and haven't been exposed are Soul Crush (without a critical finish mechanic) and non-fatal ringouts.

If they actually do both, I'm guessing that Soul Crush will mean that the Soul Guage is alive and well, but that all it does is maybe a boost when it's high (maybe) and that if it's too damaged, you go into "soul crush" and are vulnerable for a moment before it resets.

If they do non-fatal ringouts (which were hinted at in Daishi's twitter, at least as being under investigation) it would be only in some stages; the way I'd see this is that some stages would have non-fatal ringout boundaries; throw someone over them and you get an animation, they take some damage, you follow them down and the fight continues in a new sub-arena (similar to the DoA mechanic, but with different stages being different; some might only have non-fatal ringouts; others would have non-fatals and fatals, one as seen doesn't have boundaries at all, and some would be more standard "all sides are walls or deadly ringouts".

Great stuff!

The game just looks so much more fluid and mobile compared to its last iteration. That new "parry system" looks very interestin' and seems like a perfect fit to the game's fast paced action. Though that parry system is a cool addition, I'm glad they didn't scrap the good ole' GIs. Hopefully, since it seems like they might be doin' away with the last iteration's execution heavy JF system, they'll bring back the old buffer/delay/cancel mechanics that SCI-SCIII had.

So ZWEI uses his familiar regularly outside of his CE? That's pretty interestin'. It kinda reminds me of characters like Carl from BlazBlue; characters that uses a partner in their battles.

Pat's lookin' better and better. I'm glad that he's his own character and doesn't fight like his predecessors.

Natsu proved the sayin' "don't judge a book by its cover," because even though she looks like a dumb mall stalkin', valley girl who just so happens to be a Super Sayian, gameplay wise, she's a FUCKIN MONSTER! Sure, her style's base concept is without a doubt Taki's, but as a whole, it was revamped oh-so-well. I'm lookin' forward to playin' her.

Well, it looks like you Taki loyalists out there still have a ray of hope to play as her in this iteration, Seein' how they confirmed that X will be replaced by her daughter right off the bat, and didn'tt, and still haven't confirmed that Taki will be replaced by Natsu. Plus, they went out of there way on Natsu's profile to note that Taki's "still alive", so that's even more hope, I guess. But if she indeed does return, I hope she'll be one of those characters to receive a brand new fightin' style [I believe Hilde will receive one too if she returns] because at the moment, Natsu has her style down on lock.

I'm glad to see that Sieg wasn't just the featured punchin' bag this time around.

All in all, great stuff and I can't wait to see more!

I like Taki, but I'm hoping that she doesn't return. With Natsu here already, I don't want two characters fighting the same. I hate clone characters in fighting games more than anything else.

I guess if she came back and had a different fighting style like GrayGuy7 said... But that would be weird. Taki can't use her own fighting style? In my opinion, now's the time to let the character retire with honor.

I wish they'd have a finish him! moment at the end of the battle like on MK where you can finish them off. I don't want fatalities, but I just want a moment at the end where you can "finish off" your opponent.

I hope CF are back in but animated better, a lot where lame in SC4, the only good ones were Rapheal's Cassandra's Amy's Seung Mina's, Yoshimitsu, Yun Seung's and Seigfriend's. The rest were boring. (Hilde's Nightmare's, Mitsurugi's Lizardman's Rock's Voldo's)

Why bother thinking up children for the current characters? Let Ivy sleep with all the males and Voila!! You have your new characters.. (Just let it be known that I am actually an Ivy fan and I'm not taking the mick out of her lol).

Not to be sick or anything but I think I'm going to have an orgasm when I play this game for the first time. It's so beautiful. The graphics looks smooth on video I can imagine how they'll look on my TV in front of me. and the sound is so crisp. I'm excited to see who's returning more than the "New" characters who seem to only be children and protege's so far. :( At least ZWEI is original. I'm still over all majorly excited!

I was disappointed in all the previous offerings and trailers and clips.

But the demo was HOT. Seeing actual live action, the speed, the fluidity of all their moves...so much HYPE for this game. I even like some of the new combat tweaks we can sort of get the sense for (ie. taking damage for throw-breaking late, the health bar flashing yellow that might indicate Soul Crushes are still in, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back