Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think people should take a good honest look at SC5 and admit it doesnt deserve the harsh criticisms its had over the years. It was a while ago but i dont recall people complaining too much over online play. It is possible that was partially due to how bad SC4 was by comparison but i dont think that was the entire reason. I remember being satisfied with playing SC5 online.

Go ahead and say what you want about mimics, missing characters and annoying replacements. Truth is, not everyone hated those replacements even if most did. At least you could get online and actually play with them.

The customization was great. HUGE improvements were made from the previous game and that was without any sort of DLC. Now we have to wait for DLC just to get CAS up to par with no word on when it will be available.

I agree with first part, I enjoyed playing SCV, not at the level of SC2 but still had some great time with it. But the mimics, clones and the replacement were too bad.

This simply shows how you can easily damage an overall picture of a potentially great game (And actually SCV is really a good game at least imo) with just few awful decisions.

Same thing for T7, the game looked good and could have ended iconic and all then until Harada started to put his fantasy BS in the game (Choice of guest characters for the most part)

this is why talks of balance shouldn't even be a thing yet. If they balance patch too early, we could start with a strong character, and end up with a broken tier. Or start off with a low-mid at best, and make them bottom tier.

Think about what happened to viola. At first everyone was saying her damage was low, that was before her ridiculous combo's were discovered. Then she got patched into broke tier. But that wasn't the real reason she was broke, it wasn't the TOD combo's (although that was a huge factor), it was her infinite back throw, which I suspect existed from the beginning.

Then you have characters like raphael and leixia, which for some reason namco thought they were too strong and needed nerfs, well we all know how those 2 ended up.

Back to sc6, we really need to be careful about balance patches. Despite it being almost universally agreed upon, we need to let the game evolve before IVY gets nerfed. We all know how cheap she is, with little risk. Point is, some tech will be discovered, match up knowledge will improve, and people will begin to recognize 2 A+G more easily. The thing is, she's not even the best character right now, at least not from my perspective. Azwel seems more ridiculous than her, the only difference is, azwel is brand new, wheras IVY mostly retained all her best stuff. People know how to play Ivy, no one has had much time with azwel. For one thing he can out-range her.

To be completely honest. I think siegfried has decent odds against Ivy. So far it seems like that character has had success in tourneys lately, which is new to me because for once he's actually viable in that setting. I main Sieg, and I will say with confidence that dark legacy is cheap AF. That alone has won me rounds many times.

I think it's popular to hate ivy right now, to me it's just bandwagon mentality. Chill out peeps, everything will be alright :)

Then you have characters like raphael and leixia, which for some reason namco thought they were too strong and needed nerfs, well we all know how those 2 ended up.

They were asked in an interview why they kept nerfing Raphael while being low tier already.
They said its their philosophy to have strong characters and weak characters… (also Harada lost in a tournament with astaroth against raphael few days before the patch… probably unrelated but i still think its hilarious).

The Dreamhack tournament was wild. Major props to Party Wolf & Saiyne for some great matches and show of skill and the rest of the participants in the top 8 as well. Seems like it also had a pretty decent turn out with 177 people participating too so that's good.

They were asked in an interview why they kept nerfing Raphael while being low tier already.
They said its their philosophy to have strong characters and weak characters

I suspect this is either a troll answer or a translation error, most likely the later as I've seen this not only happen with other Japanese games but Soul Calibur itself. (battle director said Astaroth had been make bigger, people thought that meant he was taller when all that was changed was his shoulders being made slightly wider).

I suspect this is either a troll answer or a translation error, most likely the later as I've seen this not only happen with other Japanese games but Soul Calibur itself. (battle director said Astaroth had been make bigger, people thought that meant he was taller when all that was changed was his shoulders being made slightly wider).
It was indeed from japanese but translation was here on 8wayrun... nobody mentioned a translation mistake.
They made lot of people angry (myself included).

That said, despite saying no nerfs or buffs yet. My current impression of Ivy has me hovering over these changes, all of which remain pending, as time and experience change a lot...

- Some sort of change to her super. I don't care what it is. Make it come out only on successful GI, make it slower, make it do far less damage without a successful GI, make it vulnerable to throws or lows, or anything, and so on. I don't care what they do to it, but I do think it's a very obnoxious move that she really doesn't need to be so prominent in her arsenal. Hell, buff her SC in compensation, I don't care.

- 2A+G: This could easily be something small like an audio change, visual change, or even a slight change from -14 to -16 on block (bothers me you can't punish this move well at all, even when blocked right in her face). Anything to make bridging the gap easier. This tool and it's accompanying mixups are insanely low-risk for the reward. That said, any changes to these still require time on my part, so I wouldn't change anything just yet. Though if it were up to me, there wouldn't be any balance changes for awhile.

- Most important change!: Make it so she can't run half-fuckin' screen and still do a summon suffering. Buffered charges and shit are normal in fighters, but HALF-screen? Patch that shit out. Small dash at best.

I’m totally on board with this!
I’ve been saying for ages her CE is such an obnoxious tool.

I’ve tried Zasalamel’s 6BB and Kilik’s FC 1B and it drags me in from tip range.
Kilik’s is what surprised me the most actually, because Nightmare’s CE is stopped by low attacks.

She really doesn’t need a wide area auto GI super with all the tools that she has.
It needs a weakness as auto GI supers like Zas and Nightmare have quite obvious flaws.
Ivy is easy to use for the reward she gets, Tira can be a F***ing headache but she seems somewhat fair in comparison, she can rack up big damage with good execution and adaptability.

Can't be me, I got no videos up anywhere.
I'm saying that pointing out the possibility to GI doesn't justify that move's current state in the first place. It's still filfthy no matter what mind gymnastics is applied to rationalize it. It sounds as if you're saying "GI your way to her". GI is always a risk, especially with alot of required movement involved simultanesously. Although Ivy has fewer long range tools people just repeat them, and some do it exceptionally effectively. It's the old easier-said-than-done, and when lag is taken into account GI becomes the bane of the universe. Anyway, I know I'm not grabbing all this out between my rosy buttcheeks, the criticism is widespread enough to solicit some validity, or at the very least a serious discussion instead of negligently going the "improve your play" route.

Ok my mistake then. Very similar name to a youtube account, that must just be coincidence i guess.

So what character or characters do you use?

You struck nothing more than a hostile core in yourself, with a nice sliver of irony. A suggestion would be to thoroughly read the posts before you intervene with negligent, antagonistic replies. I hope you atleast noticed that it's not about a vocal minority, neither in here or in general. Also guessing she's your main since that would explain alot. Really no need to get offended by having her toolset questioned. Let people have their word as you have yours. There-there now! Kumbayah!

My main is Groh and I'm waiting for 2B. You're the only one being hostile since you apparently flop 24/7 against her. Stop being whiny and go find real solutions instead of trying to play the victim card after being wrong and strong.

My main is Groh and I'm waiting for 2B. You're the only one being hostile since you apparently flop 24/7 against her. Stop being whiny and go find real solutions instead of trying to play the victim card after being wrong and strong.
Oh brother. If anyone here is whining then it's you, over something as trivial as opinion-stating no less. Go bother the ones in here calling her busted, or the ones simply agreeing with me. Share the hostility, you seem to have alot of it. (And no, questioning the moves of a fictional fighting character is not being hostile.)

Ok my mistake then. Very similar name to a youtube account, that must just be coincidence i guess.
So what character or characters do you use?
I main Sieg. Recently started dabbling with Zas and Mitsu.

I main Sieg. Recently started dabbling with Zas and Mitsu.

Well it makes perfect sense to me that you also said this:

Siggy? He's worthless. To slow to be a threat.

I dont think most people would agree with you. No one is ever going to like hearing their main is broken, especially this early. Of course a player of said character knows them more intimately than someone who doesnt generally speaking. Seeing how frequently Siegfried shows up and the fact that i've definitely heard no shortage of complaints about him as well, you might want to consider getting more intimate knowledge of Ivy before subscribing yourself to the typical mob-like mentality.

Well it makes perfect sense to me that you also said this:

I dont think most people would agree with you. No one is ever going to like hearing their main is broken, especially this early. Of course a player of said character knows them more intimately than someone who doesnt generally speaking. Seeing how frequently Siegfried shows up and the fact that i've definitely heard no shortage of complaints about him as well, you might want to consider getting more intimate knowledge of Ivy before subscribing yourself to the typical mob-like mentality.
I honestly had no idea anyone could take such opinions personally. Typically mob-like, little ol' me? That's weird. It's not like I'm asking the others to agree with me. How much longer should we keep this going? I won't change my mind, after all.

I honestly had no idea anyone could take such opinions personally. Typically mob-like, little ol' me? That's weird. It's not like I'm asking the others to agree with me. How much longer should we keep this going? I won't change my mind, after all.

I'm not upset, i'm only trying to point out how it looks from a different perspective. Of course you think Siegfried is trash, because you main him. So that means you're intimately familiar with his holes and weaknesses and your opponents have been exploiting that.

Ivy players are familiar with her downsides as well and i have tried bringing them to your attention.

Back