Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Even some really good characters tend to be underrepresented.

Oh there definitely are other factors to consider, like for example how fun or interesting a movelist is. I suspect 2B will start showing up quite a bit. That isnt because of her placement on the tier list, but also based on what i've heard people state about her being enjoyable to use.

Oh there definitely are other factors to consider, like for example how fun or interesting a movelist is. I suspect 2B will start showing up quite a bit. That isnt because of her placement on the tier list, but also based on what i've heard people state about her being enjoyable to use.
For tournament purposes I'm thinking the opposite; efficiency and control first. 2B might be fun to play but it's dauntingly easy to lose control over her and get punished into oblivion, so it'd take some exceedingly steady hands and nerves not to blow it.

I get that NM and Siegfried players are salty about flapjack but they’re really good characters.

Take that from relapsing Tira main.

And Siegfried has another reverse ring out why does he need more than one?

I’m happy they’re on to ‘Axewel’ too.

I don’t play as Astaroth but I’m glad they’re doing him some justice.

Mina is fucking annoying at long range which she’s meant to be, why they want to make her better at short range is beyond me.
HEY NAMCO! You want a Korean good at short and mid range ADD HWANG!

Honestly Ivy should stay as she is.
The Ivy players I’ve fought post patch have legitimately fought for their matches since they can’t rely on obnoxious shit like 2A+G ‘everything will perish’ CE and 6AA
She’s a strong character make her fight for her food!

As for Groh... Why give him more?
He seems pretty strong as it is.

2B - GG easy ring out (I’ve called it before it’s way too easy for her)
I don't know why Seong Mi-Na needs close range buffs. She has a hellsweep and all of her soul charge moves.

I don't know why the patch notes said that the revised CE is too difficult.
I actually still use all of the moves you mentioned because the nerfs just made her better. 2A+G autocorrects slightly more vertically in exchange for being even more sidesteppable. It's also a more decisive move thanks to the damage buff. The CE change benefits Ivy players because verticals are the most dangerous and people seem to throw them out more than horizontal jabs.

Grøh is just kind of annoying. You can only get AA and 2A most of the time which kinda sucks.

I dropped him because he's boring and his teleports suck. I would have liked him more if he had a dashing stance or threw his sword like a boomerang.

I forgot the move but the super fast mod that goes into base hold is the only annoying thing about Sieg. I've had folks just devolve into relying on just that and transitioning into base hold K because I guess his other moves aren't worth shit? Idk.

Also, I just want to ask what's up with Taki players? People are playing her like she's some kind of grappler now. Lol

Last edited:
I don't think there are broken characters outside of 2B, even this chick robot may be not that broken once we'll know her better.

And i agree about Sieg and Nigh, those RO moves are core of the characters i don't understand this nerf, those moves seems strong, and it is for sure, but it's also a part of the mindgame when playing against those 2 characters. That won't feel right and feel weird now if i won't be worried when i'm at the end of the arena against Night and Sieg, if they feel those are too strong and need to be nerf they can still nerf those characters in other areas, like decreasing damages in few moves and cie, this will make the 2 a bit weaker without changing their core gameplay, well i think?

EDIT: Haven't seen this yet
Some exciting stuffs here, the BGM from past SC and Back and some costumes from past character too, please be Ivy SC5 1P!!! (i don't understand tho if they mean characters that aren't in the game now like Li Long and cie or just all characters from past games)

Last edited:
Sweet mamacita, Talim is such an annoyance to fight. It feels like most of her moves either crumbles, stuns or sends you flying, and the waiting for those damn strings to finish. I should probably try her out.

Last edited:
Did they...they did NOT just say frequent switching was the goal with Tira! It is nigh impossible to shift from Jolly to Gloomy without the use of RE, CE, or SC! My god, I can go so many rounds without a single transition in Jolly, and I use 4K plenty often. Or when I do manage to get to Gloomy, I shift back almost immediately. I just want the post-round transition ability back, man...That would at least make it bearable.

The bit about the CAS DLC is semi-good news, at least. I need more dresses and skirts, pls.

Kind of funny when she is negative on alot of things. So goal is get your ass beat to switch back and forth? I remember I switch 3 times in succession due to mixups. She was funny/nutty

For tournament purposes I'm thinking the opposite; efficiency and control first. 2B might be fun to play but it's dauntingly easy to lose control over her and get punished into oblivion, so it'd take some exceedingly steady hands and nerves not to blow it.

I think that's a really insightful take on her moveset: finessing her on the offence can be a little like trying to steer a rocket--she comes in hard and fast, but it is difficult, if not outright impossible, to pull her out of certain courses of action once you are committed. Planning several steps ahead and being absolutely certain that you have maneuvered your opponent into giving you an opening becomes vital--and so too does constantly keeping track of and varying your mix ups. The first few days, everyone was griping about her dash/maneuverability capabilities throwing them off their game when fighting her, but a couple of weeks in, I feel it has been demonstrated that, at levels approaching high level play, these features are actually the hardest part of making her work, insofar as they are integral to success and yet highly punishable if you don't constantly vary your game and play at very peak performance when it comes to the psychological/fake-out game which has always been a part of SC but rarely put so front and center as it is is with 2B. You have to be completely certain before you make your move. Really in that sense, she's not very different than your classical and slower heavy hitters--sure she is constantly jetting back and forth, but most of that is just posturing as the player looks for/tries to generate their opportunity (and even that comes with significant risks against players who are on to the game) and once she commits, if she doesn't connect, that whiff or frame concession is going to be as punishable as a similar all-in move from, say, an Astartoth.

Sweet mamacita, Talim is such an annoyance to fight. It feels like most of her moves either crumbles, stuns or sends you flying, and the waiting for those damn strings to finish. I should probably try her out.

Yeah, I have to say, it has not been my experience, on the defense so far, that Talim players are having difficulty keeping the pressure on! They make me work for every round, by and large, to the point where I do the "ok, here we go" lean-in anytime I see her come up on the splash screen in ranked. It's a bit interesting to be on this side of the equation, having used her as my main/first back-up in SCII-IV; when she was announced, I sent a round of texts to some friends saying simply "WIND!!!!", I was so excited--and yet I've ended up mostly re-discovering Taki and experimenting with 2B so far. I feel like Talim's long-range/close the gap game is weaker this time around and she's just less acrobatic and dependent upon her long and mid-range mix-ups. The smart Talim player today seems to be focusing more on getting her in close and keeping her there (for the remainder of the match if possible) with an unending flurry of strikes (ok that part's not so new) that include a liberal use of stun and guard-draining attacks. I also find her incredibly difficult to step because of her close range mix-ups, this time around.

Did they...they did NOT just say frequent switching was the goal with Tira! It is nigh impossible to shift from Jolly to Gloomy without the use of RE, CE, or SC! My god, I can go so many rounds without a single transition in Jolly, and I use 4K plenty often. Or when I do manage to get to Gloomy, I shift back almost immediately. I just want the post-round transition ability back, man...That would at least make it bearable.

I'm not sure if this is too basic to be of use to you, but I found this video of use after hearing people gripe about how much more unwieldy she is when compared against SCV's moveset, and I wanted to know (as someone who has never mained her) just what was up. At the very least, there might be some combos in it that you can roll into your game as reasonably reliable and safe methods for getting her into Jolly. Oh, also, on a side-note, that comment you are remembering about their wanting to make the shifts more feasible came in the context of discussion of January's v1.1.1 patch--so you may have some response to those concerns on the way.

Kind of funny when she is negative on alot of things. So goal is get your ass beat to switch back and forth? I remember I switch 3 times in succession due to mixups. She was funny/nutty

But I bet she's going to be brutal once the people with the time, skill, and determination develop the means to be reflexively aware of whichever personality she is in after any given mix-up/state of affairs, and they can leverage those changes to keep their opponent on the backfoot. I mean, far be it for me to question the perspective of players much more familiar with her moveset, but I think its possible that she is not as low/mid tier as everyone is holding her out to be right now and that she will be a dominating force again once top level players get through the growing pains. Anyway, she's been a force of nature in the last two games, as far as I'm concerned, so even if this is a genuine downgrade and not just an evolution of her style, I don't mind her sitting on the nerf bench for a while. ;)

Last edited:
I can dream, right?

S02: Setsuka, Hilde, Hwang, Rothion (Patroklos style).
S03: Lizardman (hybrid of Double Axe & A&S style), New Female Character w/brand new style, Z.W.E.I, Ashlotte with an original style.
S04: Okay, maybe this is too much even for dreaming........

So, I'm just going to come here and say it. 2B just isn't any fun to fight against or play.

Not that's she's impossible to kill, or overpowered or anything like that, but the fact of the matter is, she breaks Soul Calibur's old rules of short and sweet combos. SC was never about long winding combos that take forty seconds to go through and it always about keeping things short, punishes, and combos sparse, fast and easy. Here, 2B completely disregards that and runs the gamut of four hit-plus strings on almost everything she has. It may fit here thematically, but its doing a real disservice to the gameplay as a whole when I have to sit and watch another player spam her BBBB or her AAAA strings ad nauseum until I can effectively GI and punish them.

It really isn't any fun at all.

So, I'm just going to come here and say it. 2B just isn't any fun to fight against or play.

Not that's she's impossible to kill, or overpowered or anything like that, but the fact of the matter is, she breaks Soul Calibur's old rules of short and sweet combos. SC was never about long winding combos that take forty seconds to go through and it always about keeping things short, punishes, and combos sparse, fast and easy. Here, 2B completely disregards that and runs the gamut of four hit-plus strings on almost everything she has. It may fit here thematically, but its doing a real disservice to the gameplay as a whole when I have to sit and watch another player spam her BBBB or her AAAA strings ad nauseum until I can effectively GI and punish them.

It really isn't any fun at all.
Lengthwise, her A & B-strings aren't that bad compared to some others in the roster. They just get old fast since they're made so user-friendly. Still, not worse than Talim's stuff I'd say. 2B has some of the chunkiest combos in the game but to actually pull them off during a match (against anyone competent) is a rare treat.

Are more seasons confirmed? I'd love to have Yun-seong. That was a playful little bloke.

Nothing yet, but using standard practice for the industry (and especially considering that Namco is testing the waters for feasability/profitability of such a model for this franchise for the first time here, as well as for a number other marketing reasons) it would be exceedingly unlikely that they would make such an announcement at any point before the content for the current season pass has dropped--or at least very close to the end of that process. In short, I wouldn't be confident of hearing an announcement (if there is to be a second season) before late spring/early summer, and that's assuming that Namco/Project Soul maintain a relatively (as these things go) brisk pace in releasing the remaining two characters and the remaining two CaS packages. Which seems like an interminable wait right now when the property is so hot and we're all eager to know how things are going to shape out--but, for what it's worth, I am increasingly certain there will be a season 2 and believe it is fairly predictable who is on the shortlist for inclusion in that season. If you're curious as to why, see my posts in recent pages in the DLC discussion thread and the general roster speculation thread. I do believe either Yun-seong or Hwang is a certainty, but it's a very difficult call as to which.

Last edited:
All these Ivys, swarming ranked like locusts right now. It's not that they are difficult per say, it's the damn cowardly "not gonna let you near so I will spam these three-to-four same moves" way of playing the game, and they do just fine with this limited set of spam-assery since the moves are so powerful and almost indistinguishable from one another. Can't help but feel as if my time's being wasted. Oh Ivy Ivy Ivy, the pet peeve of a lifetime.

I think the closest to Ashlotte we'd likely get is another Automaton, which would probably have to have an entirely different aesthetic to prevent any overwhelming similarities to her, thus avoiding any potential lawsuit from Ito Ogure. But I still don't see that kind of a character even being all that likely anyway.

Back