Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'd have hope for 2Ps had Tekken 7 never existed. After that game, I'm honestly pretty doubtful of anything beyond CaS for new costumes.
I generally agree with you.
However, for the characters that did have 2p costumes in T7, they were just the old ones.
Tekken is kind of different because they don’t change designs every game like SC.

The only game that's had 3p costumes was SoulCalibur II, and they were all guest artist creations or Namco cameos except for Siegfried. Expecting 3p costumes is a bit less than reasonable.

God damn it, Ivy's and Taki's 3P costumes are two of my favourite designs in the entire series and my favorite designs for these characters. Mitsurugi's 3P is also top notch. Guess I'm fat out of luck of ever seeing these costumes return to a new game.

The biggest difference is that Tekken customization is on itself alternative costumes, most of them are exclusive the their characters, that is why they don't have 2Ps per say, but you can still give Nina her classic look via her exclusive pieces

The only game that's had 3p costumes was SoulCalibur II, and they were all guest artist creations or Namco cameos except for Siegfried.

Expecting 3p costumes is a bit less than reasonable, I think. Besides, chances are pretty high that we'll still be able to make our own alternate costumes for the characters much like SoulCalibur IV-V. SoulCalibur III was the only one where recolors were your only option beyond 1p/2p costumes.

But yeah, no 2p weapons on the recolors either indicates that those recolors are placeholders, we're not getting any additional weapons (which was the case for SoulCalibur I, should you need reminding), or both.
Okay, a few things.

1. SE, SC1 and SC2 all had 3Ps. Unsurprisingly, when the cast was smaller they gave players more stuff to unlock.

2. Could I ask what your source is on some of the SC2 3Ps being guest designed? I know Nightmare's is Siegfried; Taki's, Sophitia's, and Cassandra's are cameos; and Mina's is a traditional Korean dress. Unless I'm forgetting one, that leaves Talim, Mitsurugi, Raphael, Ivy, Voldo and Astaroth. Any idea who designed them?

3. The rumors are suggesting that the cast is going to be close to SC2 in size. If that's true, why not hope for 3Ps? I mean, obviously it's not going to happen because every Namco fighter has less content than the one prior, but still.

4. I object to calling the recolors "placeholders," which implies they're just going to replaced by the alternates. Many of them look great and I hope they're included in addition to actual 2P outfits.

5. In SC1, you could unlock Edgemaster's version of a character's weapon.

Okay, a few things...

1. You know, you're right. I dunno why I had blocked that out in my mind. But SoulBlade's were only in the home release and a similar concept art fan voted poll thing, if memory serves. Fairly certain the SoulCalibur I ones were also only in the home release but weren't they also silly things like fully shiny monochrome or something like that? Sorry it's been a while so I'm kinda grasping at straws here. The ones from SoulCalibur II mostly stand out to me as the most memorable.

2. I don't have names, no, but I for sure have read that that was the case with the guest artists, when I was out and about reading miscellany during the hiatus. I'm sure the information is out there somewhere, though. I may find it myself and come back later, but right now I'm lying in bed typing this with my phone. If work is not busy enough I may have the time to find specifics.

3. I'm just trying to be realistic. :sc4amy1:

4. I believe that they are just placeholders but they'll still be doable in the final release in a recolor mode like SoulCalibur III. Make your own palette swaps. Either use the ones they made for these prerelease builds, make your own, or both.

5. And that's true enough, but there still were not 2p weapons or unlockable weapons in general, not like all the other games. No joke weapons, ultimate weapons, or simple alternates. That's all I was saying. The Edge Master weapons were already in the game so they just let you have them as a fun bonus, I think.

So I have a question. This is slated to release in 2018, and I haven’t heard anything about location tests. Is it still too early for them or might they be ditching them altogether? I hope the latter isn’t the case.

So I have a question. This is slated to release in 2018, and I haven’t heard anything about location tests. Is it still too early for them or might they be ditching them altogether? I hope the latter isn’t the case.
By location tests I'm assuming you mean having a playable build at an event? If so, then we've already had plenty of events with the game in a playable state (albeit with limited characters and features), the most prominent one being EVO Japan in January earlier this year. There's also been quite a few high-profile players who have been invited by Namco to go and test the game in private sessions in several countries (as far as I'm aware there has been US, UK and French players who have been invited to such sessions so far).

By location tests I'm assuming you mean having a playable build at an event? If so, then we've already had plenty of events with the game in a playable state (albeit with limited characters and features), the most prominent one being EVO Japan in January earlier this year. There's also been quite a few high-profile players who have been invited by Namco to go and test the game in private sessions in several countries (as far as I'm aware there has been US, UK and French players who have been invited to such sessions so far).

Also there was a livestream from Tokaigi Game Party 2018 around the start of February with some nice gameplay videos:

https://www.dualshockers.com/soul-calibur-vi-gameplay-videos/

EDIT: I swear there was like a 2 1/2 hour stream of pretty decent gameplay from Japan too, I can't find it now though. The event was not exclusively SC

Last edited:
1. You know, you're right. I dunno why I had blocked that out in my mind. But SoulBlade's were only in the home release and a similar concept art fan voted poll thing, if memory serves. Fairly certain the SoulCalibur I ones were also only in the home release but weren't they also silly things like fully shiny monochrome or something like that? Sorry it's been a while so I'm kinda grasping at straws here. The ones from SoulCalibur II mostly stand out to me as the most memorable.
No, no. Well, I mean yes, you COULD unlock metal modes for all the characters, but that was just a silly extra. Sophitia, Maxi, Xianghua, Voldo and Siegfried all had proper third costumes. And I thought most of them were great! Sophitia had a full set of armor and chain mail, looking like a proper warrior for the first and only time. Maxi had a cool tiger print outfit that I thought fit his character perfectly. Xianghua's most iconic costume from SC1 was probably her 3P, and it served as the basis for her 1P in SC4. Unfortunately, I can't find any in-game screenshots of these outfits, but they definitely existed.

And 3P costumes have always been exclusive to the console versions. The same was true of the SC2 3P costumes.
5. And that's true enough, but there still were not 2p weapons or unlockable weapons in general, not like all the other games. No joke weapons, ultimate weapons, or simple alternates. That's all I was saying. The Edge Master weapons were already in the game so they just let you have them as a fun bonus, I think.
Since I'm already talking about how great SC1 is, I'd just like to point out that that SC1 did have 1P and 2P versions of weapons. How could anyone forget the creepy smile version of Soul Edge? But you're correct that there were comparably fewer in SC1. You could unlock the ability to choose between 1P weapon, 2P weapon or the EM (Edge Master) weapon, but it was really just a way to customize your character's appearance.
4. I believe that they are just placeholders but they'll still be doable in the final release in a recolor mode like SoulCalibur III. Make your own palette swaps. Either use the ones they made for these prerelease builds, make your own, or both.
Even though Tekken 7 gets used a lot as a negative example, I'd love it if SoulCalibur VI characters got the same treatment that the popular characters (e.g. Heihachi, Asuka, Xiaoyu, etc.) got in Tekken 7. They had two default costumes, each with two colors. Everyone had ten custom spots for players to make their own versions. And most of them had at least two unique costumes among their customization options, although it some times had to be unlocked via randomized loot boxes. Aside from that last part, I hope SC 6 characters get that many costume options.

I haven't been getting alerts since like Wednesday so I was like "whys no one posting in this thread"...then I realize 5 minutes ago they have been I've just not been getting alerts...

Please don’t start to get me worried about character themes now. For as much as I don’t like him, I really hope the music that played during GRØH’s reveal is his theme. Same with Nightmare, that music sounded great.

They made a poll over on reddit on whether to bring back Amy as a Rapier user or as an Orb user here's a link to the poll
http://www.strawpoll.me/15187050
Who? are you saying that this is an official poll put up by Namco? well it really doesn't matter, the way I see it, there are characters who should have more priority over Amy/Viola, I'll mainly wait to see if Raphael is in the game or not, to judge if I want Amy/Viola to have the Rapier or Orb playstyle.

Who? are you saying that this is an official poll put up by Namco? well it really doesn't matter, the way I see it, there are characters who should have more priority over Amy/Viola, I'll mainly wait to see if Raphael is in the game or not, to judge if I want Amy/Viola to have the Rapier or Orb playstyle.
It's just a unofficial poll to see how you would want Amy to join the game

Back