Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I think you mean her outfit will be inspired by her early appearances while also being a booty-buffoon, to stay consistent with the rest of most of the designs from SoulCalibur VI. It’s not what we (you and I) want, but perhaps the realistic expectation we should have.
I really hope you're wrong, but unfortunately, I have to admit your argument is a strong one.
Eh? I thought the general consensus seems to agree that Amy’s design was fantastic. I love it too, very elegant and inspired. Aside from her SoulCalibur III 2p (which, admittedly, may just be because of the inability to use it, wanting to and not being able), it may be the best she’s ever been.
No, I think her SCVI costume design is fine: it's basically faithful to her historical look, but given some nice additional touches and made a little more mature to match the slight change in tone they made to her character. It's her moveset that has my nose a little bent. I'm trying to get used to it, and maybe I'll be fine with flower power in time, but right now I feel like they completely altered the flow of the character for the sake of more gimmicks. I'd trade this version in for her SCIV moveset in a heartbeat, even if it meant she had far fewer moves than any other character. I waited over a decade to have her back in a multiplayer SC game and what we got was the single most altered of all of SCVI's variant play styles. It hasn't turned me off her completely, but I've gone back to maining 2B and Taki already..

I'd take a hundred demon pirates over an anime GOTH whose hair dye colour changes depending on what stage of super-saiyan he is in... It's not even close, how much more of an ill-fit Groh is than any character who came before him. Give me Necrid, Darth Vader, or Kratos any day of the week, before My Malfested Romance.
Umm...You seem to pinball a lot on what you’re accusing Groh of being.

Umm...You seem to pinball a lot on what you’re accusing Groh of being.
How so? You mean the jump from 'emo' to 'goth'? I mean, I'm just trying to keep things a little fresh. There's only so many times I can point out that he's basically Gerard Way put into a Soulcalibur game. Granted emo is much more accurate than goth, but it's not like there's not a lot of overlap as regards the lameness factor of Groh and his design's relation to both emo and goth culture.

I'm just talking shit but in the end of the day i don't even hate those 2, i'm basically saying that those are my least favorite newcomers in SC, well outside of clones, Dampierre, and Necrid.

How so? You mean the jump from 'emo' to 'goth'? I mean, I'm just trying to keep things a little fresh. There's only so many times I can point out that he's basically Gerard Way put into a Soulcalibur game. Granted emo is much more accurate than goth, but it's not like there's not a lot of overlap as regards the lameness factor of Groh and his design's relation to both emo and goth culture.
Well, the only culture he really fits into out of any that you’ve mentioned is anime/high fantasy (with a dark color scheme).
Beyond the color scheme, nothing about his outfit screams goth or emo, especially when you consider that Amy, Viola, Raphael, Voldo, Tira, and Pyrrha have all gotten outfits based on gothic designs. (In order: Lolita, Lolita/Gypsy, Victorian, BDSM, Traditional/Horror Punk, and maybe Romantic for Pyrrha’s 2p)

Maybe the eyeball is the real source of strength? SoulCalibur II’s Soul Edge (Complete) for Nightmare got a bunch of extra ones. Kappa

latest
Man, the Soul Edge (complete) designs from SC2 were so bad. So many of the them just looked like misshapen pieces of meat.

Some interesting stats on Evo entrants:
28% of SoulCalibur 6 players are also competing in Samurai Shodown. 26% are also playing Tekken. 21% are playing MK11 and Smash respectively.

And the number one reason why SamSho is doing so well is how many players from other games are ALSO playing it. Someone summed up SamSho gameplay as "simple without being shallow." That makes it a really easy side game for people already familiar with fighting game fundamentals.

Well, the only culture he really fits into out of any that you’ve mentioned is anime/high fantasy (with a dark color scheme).
Beyond the color scheme, nothing about his outfit screams goth or emo, especially when you consider that Amy, Viola, Raphael, Voldo, Tira, and Pyrrha have all gotten outfits based on gothic designs. (In order: Lolita, Lolita/Gypsy, Victorian, BDSM, Traditional/Horror Punk, and maybe Romantic for Pyrrha’s 2p)
Well it's not a zero sum game: we can have more than one goofy emo. Actually, I'd say your list is short by at least one other: Zwei.

But we're going to have to agree to disagree about nothing in Groh's outfit and design screaming emo. Because everything from his hair dye to his perfectly feathered bangs, to his leather shoulder pads and "military, but not really" coat, to his whiny, morose attitude, to his forced "tragic" story, to his pale skin, to his waifish build, does indeed shout emo to me. I mean, I can go on, but honestly, if you don't see it, maybe just look at this, featuring the man who is established as the world's single most emo human being, who also looks like he could be Groh's body double, and who, in any event, definitely shops at the same Hot Topic.

Last edited:
@Rusted Blade
I will still disagree with your critique of Groh's sword in context of physics, especially if we actually go into realms of super strength.
Other than that I will totally agree on his design. What is worth noting is that not only does his attire look modern. It's also the fact of his character, his language and overall build up around whole aval organisation which you pointed out.

But to drop that what is already here and to focus on what is yet to come - I really hope they will do good job with Cass. Moveset will probably be great but I do worry about her character, especially when I think about what happened to Mina in that department ugh

@Rusted Blade
But to drop that what is already here and to focus on what is yet to come - I really hope they will do good job with Cass. Moveset will probably be great but I do worry about her character, especially when I think about what happened to Mina in that department ugh
I've just decided not to think about it until we have something concrete. If I'm pleasantly surprised, great. But I'd rather not build up my hopes at this point, only for my disappointment to be that much greater as a consequence; this game has been less hit than miss for me.

I've just decided not to think about it until we have something concrete. If I'm pleasantly surprised, great. But I'd rather not build up my hopes at this point, only for my disappointment to be that much greater as a consequence; this game has been less hit than miss for me.
I share the sentiment. I keep on thinking that if nothing else - there will be at least new model to make pretty pictures with in poser lol
(still on the back of my mind I have this vision of her wielding shield and warhammer)

I do worry about her character, especially when I think about what happened to Mina in that department ugh
Mi-na has always been a goof, though, it’s just that her limited exposure to the spotlight has kept it somewhat under wraps. It surprised me how many people were unaware of character motivations, story points, and the like before SoulCalibur VI laid it all out. It’s nice that it’s finally out in the open for everyone to see, I think, but this stuff was almost all already there, buried in museum modes and art books. I enjoyed what Mi-na brought to the table, and found her Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul roles very fitting.

Mi-na has always been a goof, though, it’s just that her limited exposure to the spotlight has kept it somewhat under wraps. It surprised me how many people were unaware of character motivations, story points, and the like before SoulCalibur VI laid it all out. It’s nice that it’s finally out in the open for everyone to see, I think, but this stuff was almost all already there, buried in museum modes and art books. I enjoyed what Mi-na brought to the table, and found her Soul Chronicle and Libra of Soul roles very fitting.
I was more pointing towards the fact that I felt like she was switched from a goofbally, but strong willed character into a boob joke goofball. But now that I think of it - it was quite a while since I played her chronicle so I may be indeed a bit mistaken on that one

boob joke goofball
That has more to do with her design than anything else, and I’m in complete agreement that making her the queen of underboob was a colossal mistake. It’s not like she was ever fully dressed in her primary outfits, but it has become as much of a joke as Cassandra’s butt, to the point of ridiculousness. Even if the fanservice wasn’t turned up to 11, though, her actions and personality would be very nearly the same, I think. We’re also missing Hwang’s side of the story, which brings things back into balance. Hopefully this is corrected in season two.

That has more to do with her design than anything else, and I’m in complete agreement that making her the queen of underboob was a colossal mistake. It’s not like she was ever fully dressed in her primary outfits, but it has become as much of a joke as Cassandra’s butt, to the point of ridiculousness. Even if the fanservice wasn’t turned up to 11, though, her actions and personality would be very nearly the same, I think. We’re also missing Hwang’s side of the story, which brings things back into balance. Hopefully this is corrected in season two.
To be honest I am a sucker for underboob so I do enjoy that. But even if I do - I find her bra to be silly and simply badly looking. Would love if they added some bandages that we could put there instead. Tho by a boob joke goofball I meant her interaction with Ivy. Wasn't anything crucial but for me it was simply bad and unfunny.
yeah - hwang could help out a lot to balance off things but even if S2 will happen it is a looooooong way from now

I find her bra to be silly and simply badly looking. Would love if they added some bandages that we could put there instead.
Absolutely. And it’s more infuriating than anything else that her sleeves are attached to that abomination, so it requires more creative finesse than should be necessary to fix it, as it were, because her sleeves and leggings are both very nice and fitting designs.

Tho by a boob joke goofball I meant her interaction with Ivy. Wasn't anything crucial but for me it was simply bad and unfunny.
I suppose that some might find that joke to be in poor taste, but it made me grin, at least a little, as a throwback to her canon defeat by Ivy. It seems like something she’d say, as a rematch line. Maybe if she didn’t say it every time, it would be better? But asking for multiple intros and outros may simply be too much, for where we are right now with this series.

I suppose that some might find that joke to be in poor taste, but it made me grin, at least a little, as a throwback to her canon defeat by Ivy. It seems like something she’d say, as a rematch line. Maybe if she didn’t say it every time, it would be better? But asking for multiple intros and outros may simply be too much, for where we are right now with this series.
Are we sure it's a reference to their relative bust sizes? It might just be a reference to the fact that Ivy has a foot and a half in height over Mina, and says pretty confidently that she's going to enjoy whipping her about. Couldn't it just be Seong-Mina saying "don't get cocky"? Or is there extra context that I am missing that seals the deal that this a boob joke?

Absolutely. And it’s more infuriating than anything else that her sleeves are attached to that abomination, so it requires more creative finesse than should be necessary to fix it, as it were, because her sleeves and leggings are both very nice and fitting designs.
It's just like with the pirate jacket - in of itself it would be a great item but the fact that they force us to use that ridiculuos bra is baffling. Especially since it doesnt seem like a lot of work to dettatch bra, make it a seperate item and then we would have one more item.
Perhaps it's mostly the matter of how I remembered that. I do not mind those things on their own but something made me remember Mina as a strong character and SCVI making her obsessed over Ivy's breasts. Now I think both those memories are incorrect at least partially. Will need to revisit her story I think

It's just like with the pirate jacket - in of itself it would be a great item but the fact that they force us to use that ridiculuos bra is baffling. Especially since it doesnt seem like a lot of work to dettatch bra, make it a seperate item and then we would have one more item.

Perhaps it's mostly the matter of how I remembered that. I do not mind those things on their own but something made me remember Mina as a strong character and SCVI making her obsessed over Ivy's breasts. Now I think both those memories are incorrect at least partially. Will need to revisit her story I think
I actually have the same impression. Dante may very well be correct about the antics being faithful to previous lore, but insofar as how Mina is presented, I definitely remember her coming off as more mature in SE-SCIII; I feel that they've retconned her age somewhat, or at least her apparent age.

Back