Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

You have to keep in mind that in developing fighting games you're balancing the game for a wide spectrum of tastes. Of those taste, the casual to competitive axis is just one of many many game developers must consider.

We can talk about what could and should be done here, sure., and there will be potentially valuable insights among those discussions. But as posters on a forum dedicated exclusively to SC and its competitive scene, we represent a very specific sub section of the games current (and potential) audience.
If veteran competitive players compains about something they are probably right.If casual players complains about something they are definitely not.It's as simple as that.
No, it isn't. Making a game "Fun" is just as if not more important then "Balanced" or "Competitive." Casual players make up a much larger part of the audience and mechanics that make things unfun for them are something designers must been keenly aware of and make decisions accordingly. This is one reason why you can't just go off pro/competitive opinions.

Last edited:
If veteran competitive players compains about something they are probably right.If casual players complains about something they are definitely not.It's as simple as that.
Absolutely not. The purpose of a game company is to sell games. What do you think they want, a finite number of players or a potentially infinite number of players?

They don't want to please the die-hard fans only, they want to reach as many people as possible and earn big bucks. And what works in the case? Good publicity. If newbies search for info about a certain game and find people complaining about what wasn't good in it (cut characters, simplified mechanics, switch of genre...), it's quite probable they won't buy it. However, if they see praises and how the devs listen to their community to make the right decisions, I guess they'll be attracted to the game.

Absolutely not. The purpose of a game company is to sell games. What do you think they want, a finite number of players or a potentially infinite number of players?

They don't want to please the die-hard fans only, they want to reach as many people as possible and earn big bucks. And what works in the case? Good publicity. If newbies search for info about a certain game and find people complaining about what wasn't good in it (cut characters, simplified mechanics, switch of genre...), it's quite probable they won't buy it. However, if they see praises and how the devs listen to their community to make the right decisions, I guess they'll be attracted to the game.
A tough discussion for my english.Let's leave it here.

Hi guyz, as you know I finally get a new invitation for the new build. They asked me and Kayane to bring one person. We choosed Keev and Keysona depending on who was available.

If you have some specific things to test out, you can ask. I will mostly test things on Kilik, Maxi and Siegfried and record match with the other 3 players.

I will also talk with Namco for future events in France, because we don't get anything yet. And I wil deliver all my community surveys about the game.

Also, I hope to publish you more things in the next 3 days. I'am desperatly hoping a char reveal because I can't decide between the last characters left, it's so confusing right now.
Definitely would love to see as much Zasalamel as possible ☺️

Fun should be a priority over balance. They, at least so far, have the right idea. Too many modern fighters nerf the freedom you have with characters for the sake of e-sports balance. It also doesn't help that consumers have such knee-jerk reactions. They call things overpowered before they even attempt to understand countermeasures.

what if the statue is actually of Geralt? that would be a curve ball

I think it's Talim. They're clearly aware of her popularity in the west, and fleecing a hundred or so bucks per statue from suckers might be awfully tempting.

That or Cervantes. Everyone loves Cervantes. :sc1crv1:

Heh. Tiny Astaroth
This changed my life. I want to see a 6'3 Yoda now

I think it's Talim. They're clearly aware of her popularity in the west, and fleecing a hundred or so bucks per statue from suckers might be awfully tempting.

That or Cervantes. Everyone loves Cervantes. :sc1crv1:

I would LOVE for it to be a Talim statue because that's an instant preorder for me

Fun and balance are tied more directly together in a fighting game then most genres. You balancing a fighting game to be fun regardless who you play as and a fighting game is fun because it has options that are well balanced. It's somewhat circular. Hard to put one over the other, but in the end I see the goal as Fun which is achieved by balance. But i can see arguments for the other direction.

Back