Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

FFXV is a bad rationale, I like the game, but lets not pretend for a hot second that the reason why the game was released so bare boned was because the piss poor managing skills that game got and that being released as XV was not a last ditch effort to revive the interest in a game in development by almost a decade.

2 things.

1)There is no sweet spot for Soul Calibur to be released EVER, it is a 3D fighting game series with a niche appeal inside of a niche genre.

2)No game is ever released in full, some corners always get cut, we cannot assume as of now that the game is being rushed, because we have no idea how much was done in a shaky development.

:sc2vol2:I know everyone has their fingers crossed for that voldo reveal tomorrow.....but don't hold your breath guys and gals.:sc2vol3:
I used to hate Voldo and didnt want him in the game but damn SC subreddit made me like him lol I have to play with him when I get the game

I almost never pick Voldo in SC games but he is the STAPLE of the series, like the most recognizable character ever

I'm also very interest to see the other new characters, hope something that will impress me in that matter, as i said i would really love a character based on the dark Victorian london that has Bloodborne vibe on him. It would be even better than a guest character from Bloodborne, since this one will become a staple to the serie.

As it is, September wouldn't be the worst thing ever IF they release in the last week of September, which currently has no games confirmed for releasing during it.
That's not to say that can't change, because there's still something like the Nintendo factor to consider and something like Sma5h possibly launching that month to coincide with Switch's online service. But Bandai Namco and Nintendo are buddies, so I think they'd be cool enough with eachother to not compete with eachother like that for a release date/release week and would keep eachother in the know to not occupy the same space.
And as I said in my last post, there's a high chance SCVI's release got bumped up for some reason, and September or early October probably would be what that means instead of November around December.
It still worries me what that means in terms of what will be cut content to "compromise" being bumped up though.
They said 2018 for the release. I like everyone else want a "complete as possible" product on launch however I DONT think they should release it thst close to the Christmas season. Fighting games, as far as I know have always purposely avoided releasing in that time. SFV was feb. Netherrealm is usually spring and Marvel was Sept. I REEEALLY think they should shoot for September. It seems smarter.

The game was a 2 3rds of the way done last December. I know the end of developement can be one of the most difficult times but, I believe they can wrap a great game by September.

I don't think we will be getting anything tomorrow, but this month will probably get a standard 2 character reveal in the next two weeks.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at anyone to be announced next, well I would be very surprised if Cassandra and any other grey area character is next, but otherwise I'm chill with any reveal.

Reactions: Pac
I didn't really believe it was possible, but I'm glad the June date was deconfirmed. September seems an okay spot, though I was still anticipating late November or early December, and still probably will, until given reason to believe otherwise. I don't expect them to give us a release date before E3.

On the $40 season pass, with the probability of 6-12 DLC characters, that's not really a bad price, considering that it may also include customization equipment on top of characters, because you know that they will be releasing those too. I'm more curious why the Premium Edition and the Collector's Edition are the same price, and what each of those really are.

Except in reality we will probably see around 4 characters per year and a shit-ton of CAS parts.
Even if it was that, it would be a better deal than SoulCalibur V's DLC. Dampierre was $5, so 4 characters at $5 would be $20 of the $40 for characters, and then $20 for a year's supply of customization parts with some frequency? That's a pretty good deal. But I believe we will get at least 6 characters.

Even if it was that, it would be a better deal than SoulCalibur V's DLC. Dampierre was $5, so 4 characters at $5 would be $20 of the $40 for characters, and then $20 for a year's supply of customization parts with some frequency? That's a pretty good deal. But I believe we will get at least 6 characters.

Maybe I missed it, but where have we seen a confirmation of the $40 Season Pass price? I've seen it slung around but I can't trace the origin of it.

Also, honestly, I think 6 characters is still rather generous, considering who's making the game. SCV literally had one character who was already made by the time the game came out (came for free with the collector's edition). Tekken 7 had 2 bonus DLC characters excluding Eliza. So perhaps we're working incrementally here and I'd like to believe 6, but I just don't see it happening.

Reasons for the possibility: Pricing of the editions, practices with a lot of games having season passes, and I believe mention of DLC characters by Vergeben has presented an apparent plan to have a larger roster than SCV but less than 30 after completion, if I recall correctly, which would explain that.

Reasons against it: SC has never had a season pass. While I'm inclined to believe the leaked info if I wasn't remembering incorrectly, we've only ever had 1 DLC character per game between SC4 and 5, the only ones to go that route. All kinds of special editions for those prices have plenty of random things with them, though OSTs and artbooks are pretty standard[SCV is an example].

Personally: Too soon to assume anything until these editions are revealed, let alone the need for more reveals in general. Until then, everything's speculation on all sides. I don't mind either way personally, though if that's solely due to a season pass I'd be slightly disappointed. Really love some games' artbooks.

Just in case if some of you don't know, Harada has mentioned that to develop a Tekken character from scratch takes roughly 6 months. I imagine it would take around that time to create a Soul Calibur character considering the pool of moves each character has which is on par with each Tekken character so 6 DLC characters espcially original ones is unrealistic unless they are already planned or classic character will be the ones for sale which, I think won't go down to well with those that are expecting them to return in the vanilla release. I think the only reason Dampierre got away with it was because his beginnings were on a portable which lets face it is not the home of the franchise so most wouldn't have given a shit.

a larger roster than SCV but less than 30
Still way too many words to just say "29", if you ask me. I'm really not sure why it's phrased that way.

To the other things you said, worth noting (on the link I provided) is that there is a "Premium Edition" and a "Collector's Edition", with the former likely to be a game that has the season pass included (likely available digitally), while the latter is the thing you're talking about with the artbook, soundtrack, bonus materials, and maybe exclusive DLC like the previous two games have had.

Just in case if some of you don't know, Harada has mentioned that to develop a Tekken character from scratch takes roughly 6 months. I imagine it would take around that time to create a Soul Calibur character considering the pool of moves each character has which is on par with each Tekken character so 6 DLC characters espcially original ones is unrealistic unless they are already planned or classic character will be the ones for sale which, I think won't go down to well with those that are expecting them to return in the vanilla release. I think the only reason Dampierre got away with it was because his beginnings were on a portable which lets face it is not the home of the franchise so most wouldn't have given a shit.

I feel like all or the vast majority of the DLC characters for SoulCalibur VI would be existing characters who didn't make it into the base roster, who all have precedented games that came before, and SoulCalibur literally always reuses animations and base models. Not so sure about Tekken, not following it nearly as closely, but it may not be comparable. Though, that being said, I'm still confused why Dampierre had a real 2p costume as well as extra weapons in Broken Destiny, neither of which made it into SoulCalibur V. It's baffling.

I didn't really believe it was possible, but I'm glad the June date was deconfirmed. September seems an okay spot, though I was still anticipating late November or early December, and still probably will, until given reason to believe otherwise. I don't expect them to give us a release date before E3.

On the $40 season pass, with the probability of 6-12 DLC characters, that's not really a bad price, considering that it may also include customization equipment on top of characters, because you know that they will be releasing those too. I'm more curious why the Premium Edition and the Collector's Edition are the same price, and what each of those really are.

I think the release date will be close to June. But we'll see.

Back