Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I have a long post on this subject on the what is a clone to you thread. But I'm gonna put a somewhat shorter reply on that here. Having the same weapon is a clone aspect. It is one amongs many by like any of them taking to extremes would ruin a game. Imagine soul calibur if everyone used nunchucks. Even if every style was different, every character different, but each and every character used nunchucks, do you think it would do anywhere near as well as it has? Of course not, and I say this as an Amy fan who wants her in knowing full well she can't be in without Raphael first and that as a result the same weapon clone issue occurs. There's a difficult balance to all things, many aspects of a character can be a cloned trait.

Personally the safest way to avoid the clone weapon effect is to make sure all the major world weapon types are included first, then clones won't be such a big deal. Strong foundation of weapon variety allows for more weapon clones without complaint. Six is doing decent at this as seen by the inclusion of Mina. She represents the pole arm which is a major weapon category. They've separated her from Kilik by changing her moves up. Kilik who uses a staff something no where near a pole arm. Now the game needs a proper flail (And no a nunchuck is not a proper flail. Though the idea of Li Long using a three section staff is pretty good), Possibly some kind of war pick, and I'm sure many other weapons 'm missing that are unique.

I see what you mean and I partially agree, but again if you take a look at all the other fighting games there is always character that are kinda considered "clones" Tekken have the Mishima they all fight pretty much the same; Street Fighter another "successful" game have so many classic Shoto character with the dragon punch / fireballs combo.

Having the same weapon doesn't mean you fight the same like fighting bare hand doesn't mean you fight the same. Just look at all the different way you can use one weapon and for that matter all the different katanas that exists (just the size of the thing changes everything).

I agree there is a lot of other weapon they can introduce but again they need to be at least somehow appealing and the character that use it have to have nice animation, but I'm pretty sure some weapons don't really allow that or it's hard to make something good out of it.

Plus don't forget that there are weapons even though they are different in appearance you still use it kinda the same-ish (I'm thinking about all the sword / dagger type of weapons)

Last edited:

That is a drama, which largely doesnt focus much attention on the fantasy aspect. You have occasional dragons, zombies and that is about it. Otherwise combat is pretty straight forward and basic. So what exactly will Jon Snow come on here and do? What does his movelist look like? He'll basically amount to a European Mitsurugi. There is absolutely nothing interesting about that.

Now if you said Night King.... well that would be different.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t put out any new demo builds until launch.

It’s ~2 months to release and that is certainly crunch time for most long projects.

Why can’t it just be October 19th already?

DLC is only to be either female characters or some veteran male character like Raphael (he will sell well for sure)
No. Name me a DLC roster in any fighting game that is all female and some male vets. Only 2 out of the 6 DLC characters either announced or released so far for T7 are female.

No. Name me a DLC roster in any fighting game that is all female and some male vets. Only 2 out of the 6 DLC characters either announced or released so far for T7 are female.
I don't know how this is relevant, most popular male characters are already in the game and there is 3 female characters that are fairly popular who most likely not making in base and are perfect dlc bait.

The fan base for Soul Calibur and Tekken though are quite different. Tekken is about the dudes, DOA is about the babes, and Soul Calibur is about the blades. If they planned to have any new male or female characters they will be in the base roster. Any new characters they will save for VII (III-IV could use some new characters). Don't forget the biggest criticism of V was the lack of returning characters PS will be getting as many of them into the roster as possible via base or dlc.

And no considering some of the most popular characters left to be announced are female getting all female dlc is quite probable...the exception might be Rock or Raphael depending on if one (or both) doesn't make it into the base game and the guest character if it isn't a female. That said we'd likely only get one if neither are in the base game...the other female characters are more popular. This isn't Tekken and most of the male roster is already expected to be in.

I don't think we'll have to worry about getting a guest character like Tekken (with negan)...especially since the new character was decided months ago and game of thrones is on its way out in 2019 and doesn't have rating problems unlike the walking dead (which is trying to continue going).

Hey, TWD is in Tekken pal. Don't be surprised.

Now let's not derail this topic.

Yeah, that was my first reaction to Negan as well but then i thought more on it and realized they probably wont just use Lucille as a mechanic for him and call it a day. More likely they'll give him several other weapons that appear on the show. I haven't seen the most recent season but i'll bet there are several instances of him using other firearms, explosives, whatever. So to that effect they could make an amunition/supply mechanic just for him. Basically draw on the typical zombie survival game stuff because that is also a major theme on TWD. That isnt really a thing on GOT.

Dont derail the topic? ...seriously?

DOA 5
Only DOA, hardly the ideal model.
Hardly maybe, but in the same time a game that managed to live for so long and actually gather enough money on it's own to justify a sequel and leave less then 1 year of a hole between the stop of support for DOA5 and release of DOA6.
When you compare it to SC5 that left us with with dumb CaS DLCs (that are numbered and that stopped abruptly) and left us waiting for a sequel for sooo long that we didn't even know it will ever happen... I'm sorry but think I prefer the DOA approach...

If they planned to have any new male or female characters they will be in the base roster. Any new characters they will save for VII (III-IV could use some new characters).
Not necessarely. SCV had Dampierre as pre-order DLC who was kinda new to the numbered titles, also his debut was in Broken Destiny. Tekken 7 also got into the same situation with Eliza who was new to the numbered series and ended up as pre-order DLC, also her real debut was in a free-to-play spin-off game prior.

I was reading on other boards that if the muscular dark skin woman that they would want an Aztec warrior. Which came to my mind that the Aztec empire no longer existed at this point. Then again Sophitia and Cassandra were worshipping Greek gods instead of being Christian.

DOA 5

Hardly maybe, but in the same time a game that managed to live for so long and actually gather enough money on it's own to justify a sequel and leave less then 1 year of a hole between the stop of support for DOA5 and release of DOA6.
When you compare it to SC5 that left us with with dumb CaS DLCs (that are numbered and that stopped abruptly) and left us waiting for a sequel for sooo long that we didn't even know it will ever happen... I'm sorry but think I prefer the DOA approach...
SCV got screwed over and got no support on top of a broken foundation. I think SCVI is looking better already.

I was reading on other boards that if the muscular dark skin woman that they would want an Aztec warrior. Which came to my mind that the Aztec empire no longer existed at this point. Then again Sophitia and Cassandra were worshipping Greek gods instead of being Christian.
They could do a story along the lines of a dying people who's only hope is to gain a powerful weapon to expel the Spanish from Central America.

Not necessarely. SCV had Dampierre as pre-order DLC who was kinda new to the numbered titles, also his debut was in Broken Destiny. Tekken 7 also got into the same situation with Eliza who was new to the numbered series and ended up as pre-order DLC, also her real debut was in a free-to-play spin-off game prior.
You just made my own point though...Dampierre was introduced in the series prior to SCV and was also not DLC to begin with. To my knowledge there has been no free-to-play spin-off game with a new character so the eliza comparison won't be in affect here. If they create a new character they will put them in the base roster or wait for either a complete edition or SCVII before adding anyone new post launch.

It's not like historical accuracy and authenticity was ever something the series has been concerned about.

Back