Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I've never once played a fighter with stage-specific themes that had a better OST than with character-specific themes.

Also Capcom had been doing those since SF1, where have you been?

I'm completely surprised by this response. I mean if you've played SF2 then you would know that the themes for the stages are for those stages. It's just that as the years went on they ended up being character themes with the likes of X-Men vs Street Fighter.

Also are you forgetting the excellent stage music for Mortal Kombat and also Tekken?

Stages actually make a difference in 3D fighters.

I've never once played a fighter with stage-specific themes that had a better OST than with character-specific themes.

Also Capcom had been doing those since SF1, where have you been?
Yeah but having a lot of them is literally to much. If I had to choose between more characters or stages, characters wins.

Last edited:
I feel like it's a nod to Leixia showing respect to "Lord Maxi". She would also call him that during throws and winning against him.

Woah, has anyone one else caught this? Character-specific quotes? Sweet.
There's actually quite a few of these but it actually seems to be random when they occur. My guess is that characters have a set amount of lines that they can say towards another character and sometimes they will say story specific lines.

Even Geralt has character specific lines;
Geralt has a specific line about his medallion whenever a character of more magical properties appears
He also has a specific line for Mitsurugi; "Pest's taken a shine to me, looks like." — Spoken when battling Mitsurugi.

Or Yoshimitsu calling Leixia by her name during the Rainbow Drop, or Algol and Edge Master having some kind of relationship, but no one knows why because there was no story about these characters in 5.

I'm completely surprised by this response. I mean if you've played SF2 then you would know that the themes for the stages are for those stages. It's just that as the years went on they ended up being character themes with the likes of X-Men vs Street Fighter.

Also are you forgetting the excellent stage music for Mortal Kombat and also Tekken?
SF2 had stage themes, but the stage themes themselves were far more closely associated to the characters that owned the stages than the stages themselves. It's the reason why the meme is called "Guile's Theme" and not "Air Base Theme". When having a stage for every character became too difficult, the themes removed the stage association and were only tied to characters.

Tekken had great themes when they were character associated (T2 especially), though it did have great stage themes in T4 and T5. After that the OST really went to shit. And i don't play MK, but the few themes I've heard don't impress me in the slightest.

SF2 had stage themes, but the stage themes themselves were far more closely associated to the characters that owned the stages than the stages themselves.
Again they ended up being associated later down the line because if it was the case that they were themes for the characters then they would have been that all the way through every single game they are in. Example:

Sagat themes from SF1 to SF5. Notice that the SF1 theme is different from the iconic SF2 theme and if the SF2 themes were to be the character themes then why change it in SFA3? It's a shame Sagat wasn't in the SF3 games as I would have had different themes to show on top of that.

SF1 -
FS1 -
SF2 CPS1 -
SF2 CPS2 -
SFA1 -
SFA2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=572DMW9B6xE
SFA3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLLIMnspC0
SF4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcmQ3-ut-n0
SF5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nNI2yPrrs

This isn't even including the fact that later down the line characters started to share themes with one another. At this point in time it comes down to personal perspective but with a deeper look it's more in favour that the now iconic character themes were more associated with the stages than the characters themselves.

Back