Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

But the two biggest holes to poke in all that?
Let's be realistic. Geese was Harada choosing him because he loves Geese. That's the only reason why Geese was chosen.
That's not true.

A rep from SNK actually approached Harada with the idea of including Geese in Tekken 7. Harada went on to say that he, and the team making Tekken 7, all agreed that Geese was a natural fit for the world of Tekken.

It's important to remember that guest characters are not added for fans of the series, so a popularity poll of Tekken fans is pointless. Guest character are specifically designed to attract players who wouldn't have otherwise noticed the game. Like me, for example. I decided to buy Tekken 7 the moment Geese was announced. (Although, I would have also decided to buy it if Kiryu was announced for it. Season 2 maybe??)

In conclusion I'm not surprised that Harada refers to "muh data" (i.e. market research) rather than exclusively looking at fan polls. It's not that fans should be ignored, but they are (by their very nature) biased.

Isn't Astaroth essentially already like that though? lol
The only difference is Astaroth never skips leg day.
Hmm... Astaroth indeed doesn't lack in the leg department, but I would always make his shoulders and chest more massive + defined to make it unquestionable that him getting ahold of you can not end well for you. Sc1 and 3 were true to this idea, while sc5's Asta looks like a sack of puss in comparison... Idk, could be the green color. :P

Last edited:
That's not true.
A rep from SNK actually approached Harada with the idea of including Geese in Tekken 7. Harada went on to say that he, and the team making Tekken 7, all agreed that Geese was a natural fit for the world of Tekken.
I think that the Brayan (of 98 year) is just indecently like a Geese (95 year)
therefore I think the appearance of a Geese in the T7 game is very weird. Geese and Brayan are very similar in appearance and style of play
I absolutely do not understand why to make two identical heroes

Astaroth isn’t a good comparison when it comes to bodies. He’s a golem first and foremost. I’m sure his cultists worshipped Ares and hence he was probably made anatomically correct.

If he didn’t look creepy, Voldo actually doesn’t look all that bad. I’m sure his leotards do have a bit of a bulge in fact.

That's not true.

It's important to remember that guest characters are not added for fans of the series, so a popularity poll of Tekken fans is pointless. Guest character are specifically designed to attract players who wouldn't have otherwise noticed the game. Like me, for example. I decided to buy Tekken 7 the moment Geese was announced. (Although, I would have also decided to buy it if Kiryu was announced for it. Season 2 maybe??)

In conclusion I'm not surprised that Harada refers to "muh data" (i.e. market research) rather than exclusively looking at fan polls. It's not that fans should be ignored, but they are (by their very nature) biased.
SNK's business strategy is "aggressively pursuing crossover appearance and IP recognizability."
This was said directly by them. It's why Mai got into DOA5LR, and why Geese got on Tekken 7.
But in the end, it's a business. You can knock on someone's door and say "hey do this" but they'll only do it if they want to.
Mai made sense to include on DOA. Geese made sense to include on Tekken.

The thing ultimately is that Harada is a huge Geese Howard fan and loves KOF and Samurai Shodown. If he didn't love Geese and KOF, he probably would've told them "but muh data shows no one buys KOF games in a lot of the western territories." and turned them down.
In short, his own liking is why SNK's approach and proposal bore fruit.
Also, Harada loves Samurai Shodown so much that he's been wanting to do a Soul Calibur x Samurai Shodown game for a good amount of years now, but admitted that the Samurai Shodown name and IP wasn't worth a damn at the time, so he hasn't pursued it.
I actually wouldn't at all be surprised if Harada gets into contact with SNK, pokes Okubo and gets him to include a SamSho guest character later.

But I do think Tekken 7 cutting and replacing characters with less memorable characters was a bad idea.
Kazumi was a good design and such, but is a one-off and will only be back on stuff like another Tekken Tag Tournament.
Eliza is great and a creative concept since its inception (narcoleptic vampire) but didn't even originate on 7, but Revolution.
Josie is honestly the best of the newcomers that actually originated on 7 that has staying power.
Shaheen and Katarina are resident sleepers. Claudio looks dumb with his face tattoo, weird hair and I can't forgive him being a big reference to something terrible like Bleach. lmao
Gigas is a failed idea that resulted in a big, boring character.
Master Raven is bootleg Michonne.
And Lucky Chloe.... is Lucky Chloe. A character who by design is a "your mileage may vary" character.
It's funny how Tekken 6's newcomers were divisive at first, but all stood out and people grew to like them. 7's issue was being too safe and ranging from uninspired-to-boring if anything.

Last edited:
Rucki Kuroi is a Kozaki design (behind trash like Tharja and Cowmilla in Fire Emblem as well as loli scum.)

The Amy fans better not get their wish because that means Raph might not make it. She has the better style, but little girls don’t belong on the battlefield.

I think it's worth noting that SNK fighters in places like Asia and latin America are extremely popular compared to the west. It's a bit like the Master System being the most successful console in Brazil by a wide margin. I don't think it's fair to dismiss Geese's inclusion in Tekken as ignoring the data without actually knowing the full data which hasn't even been disclosed. Also keep in mind that Tekken is literally getting it's main arcade income from South Korea because it's like a national sport there. If anything character usage data is most likely taken from that region.

Nah the new t7 characters are pretty good. Whats bad is the old shit. Mishimas for example
Well Heihachi is dead and Tekken 8 is looking to be Kazuya's last game. Harada has already hinted there will be no redemption for him with his last battle being with Jin. Also Claudio is hinted to play a roll in removing Jin's devil spirit with Ling Xiaoyu so the whole devil arch is pretty much coming to an end by the look of things.

The less characters like mishimas, Asuka,Nina the better. Maybe then tekken finally will be
a good game

While I consider Tekken 6 BR to have the perfect collection of characters, Tekken 7 is without a dobut the most fun out of every Tekken game to date. Personally I think some console players are just burned because their character wasn't in it. Understandable. I prefer Anna over Nina and Armor King over King so I get the complaints. The absence of Lei Wulong was the biggest shocker considering Tekken 7's philosophy of a collection of characters with unique moves (in other words no clone characters) but I can understand why he was dropped because Lei is the most complicated character in all of Tekken and a lot of casual Tekken players don't like characters who are too taxing to learn which means they don't use him. I think this is one of the reasons Raven/Maven has struggled to really catch on due to the way labyrinth (backturn) works as certain moves put you in that position frustrating new players. I know it did me when learning the character, that first hurdle to learning the character is the steepest.

The Amy fans better not get their wish because that means Raph might not make it. She has the better style, but little girls don’t belong on the battlefield.

Oh come on man, we get it, you hate Amy no need to repeat it all the time, now you can let it go. All the Amy hate, here is incredible xD
Like even though we got Kilik and Sohphitia, people still keep hoping for Mina and Cassandra (and they are right to hope for their favorite character to be in) but they don't get shit on, for some reason that's not the case with Amy, is it really just because of her appearance?

If it is, I prefer to have a 70yo grandmother Amy than no Amy at all (also Old Amy style would still be better than Raph xD FUCKING FIX RAPH!!! or get rid of him, please bamco do something with him :/ but before all the Amy Raph thing give me back my Zombie Pirat ffs. It's been 6 months and I still didn't get any of my characters, so either kill them all or give me just Cervy :p so I know if I should get hyped for the game and preorder it)

No matter how many times you say they cut certain character because they were clones it won't change the fact that Tekken 7 still has 4 Mishimas, 5 if you count Kuma, 6 if you count Kazumi and while I do not believe those are clones I have to call them clones if Anna is to be called a Nina clone outside of the first three games. Harada was out of touch, characters are not made for Hardcore players primarily, they're made for casuals that get invested in them, Tekken 7 had the iron cast balls to take out several legacy characters and tell the fans that it was what they wanted.

Soul Calibur did that and now it is 6 years later and they are making a game literally riding nostalgia with no shame, so you better believe Tekken is one less spike haired edgelord away from a reboot.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but while I do think more solid things, such as builds and release dates , things will happen at E3 any vharacter reveal might come earlier so maybe 10~12-ish of June, I've seem some people talk about SCII not making it, but I would guess E3 will have one or two of them, Talim and Raphael most likely, maybe Cassandra.

Back