Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I don't know why but developers always seem to leave out my favorite characters...

I mean, still waiting for Lei Wulong in Tekken 7... which won't happen.

Now same happens to Raphael... If they leave him out I'll be mad. At least give us Amy using the rapier. That's my favorite sword-figthing style of all this franchise. There is no way they could prettend it never existed.

To me Raphael is an iconic character and he perfectly fits in the main story... I know it was a broken character lately. That's exactly why if they include him in the game they should do some major changes instead of just reusing the assets. So if they don't include him it's because they are just lazy. I hope to be wrong.

a7e6b9576757f6f2e33d2998913ff4d5.jpg

Last edited:
but Kilik I don't see as all that iconic personally speaking
Oh, I don't know, maybe because he's been the main character of Soul Calibur 1? the best rated and one of the most popular Namco games of all time? as well as the main character of SCVI, plus being one of the top characters in the popularity poll, but idk man, I'm just crazy like that throwing around ideas...
Mistu you can make the case for
you DON'T make a case for him, you just give him one of the top 3 spots, because he is Mitsurugi.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he's been the main character of Soul Calibur 1? the best rated and one of the most popular Namco games of all time? as well as the main character of SCVI, plus being one of the top characters in the popularity poll, idk man, I'm just crazy like that throwing around ideas...
you DON'T make a case for him, you just give him one of the top 3 spots, because he is Mitsurugi.

No need to be a hostile Kilik stan

Pfft, brilliant rebuttal...
Kilik started out as a clone of Seong Mina. Kilik was not in the original game, and he doesn't appear with his so called iconic style in SCV but rather as a mimic. In addition, his story was essentially wrapped up by the time of Soul Calibur 2. His trio is iconic, but even then that said trio has Xianghua, who, in all honesty, might even be more popular than him.

Mitsu I will agree is iconic and I will refute my previous claim.

If you want to take this further pm me.

I don't really care for lizard mans return but would be cool if they do if 1 player is lizard man and 2 player is him before becoming a lizard man and in story mode we play through the change. Might make the character more meaningful if we see him before becoming a beast man. Possibly make a reason to care.

But really, the thing is that SoulCalibur has so many iconic characters, that limiting that to only the top 5 just isn't fair, as someone equally important will get left out. Which you could take as an extension as well to the roster dilemma that we're in currently with SoulCalibur VI. Someone is going to get left out, just in a pure numbers game. But when you're considering who's going to be left out, between Raphael, Cassandra, Yun-seong, Tira, Seong Mi-na, Rock, Setsuka, Hilde, Amy/Viola, and so on, it's just each one of these characters has a distinct role to play that no one else really can, even if they have a similar weapon type, or a similar personality, they each have their own stories and links to other characters, that cutting out even one of them has a lasting impact that has to be made up in one way or another by something else, or if it's not, there's just a black hole of emptiness there, and if the one left out is the one that you like the most, well, you have quite the impassioned reaction to it, because it feels like they did it to you personally.

I'm actually fine with us even having as few stages as we do as long as we never get an infinite stage. I feel like they take away from what makes SC unique. But I would like a stage on a moving platform, the Adrian would be perfect.

Also, on VF, for me it's better considered as a fighting simulator than a full game to appreciate everything it does well and does not.

Does anyone know if it is possible to preselect a stage with a different time of day or is it something that just occurs throughout the match?

Kilik started out as a clone of Seong Mina.
Nope, he has nothing in common with SE/SB Mi-na, not a clone, in fact she received moves from him, twice.
His trio is iconic, but even then that said trio has Xianghua, who, in all honesty, might even be more popular than him.
The poll seems to be saying a whole lot of otherwise, the only aspect of popularity Xianghua has over Kilik is tournament entries, because she's stupid good in every game she's in, we're not even talking character usage and online, and again keep in mind that I'm being 100% objective here, I'm not a huge Mitsurugi fan and I think he's even more iconic than Kilik, you're just wrong ;).

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear from someone who's played Rock on how different he is from Astaroth.
They look alike on the surface but they're very different characters, especially from SC3 onward. The main difference is that Rock has four unique throws that work on grounded opponents—two foot-throws and two head-throws—all of which combo into each other as long as you can keep the opponent guessing. Astaroth only has one of these, so if you see it coming it's a 100% guaranteed throw break (it also doesn't combo into anything). Rock also has two throws for crouching opponents, as well as a B command grab.

As such, Rock's gameplan is to get you grounded (either fishing for counterhits ala Ezio or conditioning the opponent to crouch and then hitting them with 3B, 6K, or a low grab) and then starting the ground-throw mixups, all of which chain into each other. You can also attack airborne opponents with moves like 88B, increasing the damage reward for these throws. This is very different from Astaroth, who wants his opponents doing nothing but blocking in fear so he can approach them and use his command throws.

EDIT: Rock strats in a nutshell:

(there's more to Rock than that lmao)

Last edited:
Cute, but also sad... Raphael truly is an underappreciated tragedy, especially with his body being used as a tool for Soul Edge in SoulCalibur V, then discarded when Pyrrha takes over, leaving him lost and alone. Makes me sad we didn't, and may never, actually see his story where he searches to reclaim his old self, and Amy... possibly by SoulCalibur VIII?

there's only so many ways you can swing a sword or a stick. you people use the term 'clone' so lightly.

characters use entirely different weapons and share a 90 degree vertical and you're calling them a clone. i'm done.

Back