Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I forgot that Cass had the hip check. That was a fun kick to use.

I'd say the only one that I don't think does a lot of justice is the Amy and Raph portion. You start to see some separation but a lot of Amy's separation also comes into how she links her stances together from B+K, A+B and 236 and being able to branch off all of those attacks.

Yeah, story is not the problem with Virtua Fighter. I find its technical depth fun, but the game is as visually appealing as a snail

800px_COLOURBOX2447432.jpg

Yeah, story is not the problem with Virtua Fighter. I find its technical depth fun, but the game is as visually appealing as a snail

800px_COLOURBOX2447432.jpg

Really? Not to get too off topic but I found the graphics and characters models to be the best looking at the time. Actually, I find it better than the trashy Tekken 7 graphics. Besides that, they make their character faces right unlike SoulCalibur.

There's been a lot of people saying "Character Y won't be in the game because they're just a clone of Z." There was also a lot of chatter like this when people were speculating the roster for SC5 years ago. So I decided to make a quick video to compare some movesets to see how similar characters are. I think someone else did something similar for Hwang in SC1 some months ago.

Quick disclaimer, I only compare around 10 moves per character (I made a quick list of basic inputs which I go through). This took way more editing time than I expected and comparing more moves would have taken ages. A better comparison would be to compare high level gameplay as that will showcase the popular moves and the general playstyle, but I think this is still pretty interesting.

The comparison video (you can use the youtube video player to reduce playback speed):

I was surprised to see characters like Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu (generally seen as super unique characters) share some basic moves. Based on this comparison, it's easy to conclude that Rock has the least to offer. Not only are a lot of his moves the same as Astaroth, he lacks the variations of those moves Astaroth can do. I'd be curious to hear from someone who's played Rock on how different he is from Astaroth.

This is also an interesting look at how Namco designed some of these characters. When making moves for a character with a similar style as someone else it looks like they tried to make new moves with a similar flow to the original character. For instance, Sophitia's and Cassandra's 44B move. Sophitia spins her sword in a circle around her while Cassandra spins her shield around. The two moves are completely different from a technical point of view but they look very reminiscent of eachother. And then there are a few moves which look very different but seem super similar from a technical standpoint (like MItsurugi's and Yoshimitu's 3B).

I'm sure Namco must have had a lot of discussions about this when determining the roster, where they consider skipping characters with the same weapon even if the moveset is unique. I'll be disappointed if a lot of these characters are skipped because of that. I personally find Cassandra a whole lot more fun to play as than Sophitia.

Thatnks for doing this, it's really intersting to see.

Lizardman has more moves shared with Sophitia in SC4 than I initially thought.

I forgot that Cass had the hip check. That was a fun kick to use.

I'd say the only one that I don't think does a lot of justice is the Amy and Raph portion. You start to see some separation but a lot of Amy's separation also comes into how she links her stances together from B+K, A+B and 236 and being able to branch off all of those attacks.
Yeah, this definitely isn't a completely fair comparison as the total moveset size for characters is gigantic. If Namco adds both Raphael and Amy in SC6 I think they should replace a couple of the basic moves for Amy which are literally identical to Raphael. I think that will reduce the amount of people claiming she's just a clone. I imagine there's a lot of new players who will check out each character very briefly and not try stuff beyond simple input, and those people might get the impression those two characters are virtually identical.

Thatnks for doing this, it's really intersting to see.

Lizardman has more moves shared with Sophitia in SC4 than I initially thought.
Lizardman is sneaky, he's got some moves which are the same as Sophitia but mirrored. Lizardman got a big overhaul in SC5, right? If he's in SC6, I assume they'd base him on his SC5 version.

I find Virtual Fighter fun as hell, but I think what our friend was trying to say is that this game has a lack of character design when it comes to aesthetics and costumes, which is true, the pg's are really "basic".

End of the off topic

Also, I will do a painting of Sophitia from one of the screenshots of the last installment, for now is just pencil, I wanted to share it with you guys :)

69b8a27d-1779-49a6-a93d-b115ccacd8ba.jpg

@Golden Hind that looks really good but her face is kind of flat? The profile for me is kind of difficult.

I wish I was good at art but that's why I'm such a CaS fanatic. Glad we can finally take good screenshots. I was on the 360 for V hence no screenshot function.

@Golden Hind that looks really good but her face is kind of flat? The profile for me is kind of difficult.

I wish I was good at art but that's why I'm such a CaS fanatic. Glad we can finally take good screenshots. I was on the 360 for V hence no screenshot function.

I bet that the volumes of her face will come out better with the coloring, or at least I will try
Also, I'm a CaS fan too, I think that's a feature that gives bonus strenght to SoulCalibur as a game, and always will

I used to make jokes about VF when i was a kid because it didn't had story and lore, but then i ended trying VF4 mainly cause as a martial arts fan and it looked cool when i saw it on TV and i was very curious on how this game was doing very well in Asian Arcade, like even better than Tekken. Also as a Tekken huge fanboy i couldn't tolerate that so i had to see by myself. And once i played the game i was still find it boring but it was with time and then VF4 evo came out that i really start to understand mechanics and liking the game, and Shun Di who became my main and one of my top 3 character ever in any FG just blew my mind on how the mechanics of this character works. There is also another character Jean Kujo introduced later after VF5 that has super very innovative mechanics that i was surprise that Tekken didn't bother to copy for T7, i guess it's because it was too complex mechanics.

Anyway VF is a proof that you need more than awesome gameplay to sell your game to the masses.

Last edited:
Really? Not to get too off topic but I found the graphics and characters models to be the best looking at the time. Actually, I find it better than the trashy Tekken 7 graphics. Besides that, they make their character faces right unlike SoulCalibur.

I didn't explain myself well. Like Golden Hind said, I character design and aesthethics leave much to be desired in my opinion. Brad is just a guy wearing khaki pants and a beach shirt. Jeffrey fights with his very rural fishing pants and that's it. I understand the game is not very fantasy like, but I am not impressed and neither are many others from what I have seen. I agree on the character models.
Nonetheless, its impact on video games can't be denied trying to bring more realistic martial arts to games

I think I found a game you might like...

Look, clearly you didn't start playing coin op beat'em'ups on the golden era of fighinting games. It's not your fault, maybe you're just too young.

Last edited:
Real talk. Virtua Fighter is the greatest fighting game humanity has created. And (until they make a new one) it's still 100% free of all the comeback mechanics, meter management and auto-combos that have to be in EVERY fighting game now. Oh, and it doesn't have giant hit effects every time you punch someone like Tekken/SoulCalibur either. Everything about the game is like, "That flashy stuff is fine for other fighters, but we'd prefer you understand what's actually happening and learn to play." It's no surprise it's not more popular.

Disclaimer: I like SoulCalibur more, but only because of the characters, the storyline and the fact that I'm a filthy casual. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate what Virtua Fighter does.
I was surprised to see characters like Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu (generally seen as super unique characters) share some basic moves. Based on this comparison, it's easy to conclude that Rock has the least to offer. Not only are a lot of his moves the same as Astaroth, he lacks the variations of those moves Astaroth can do. I'd be curious to hear from someone who's played Rock on how different he is from Astaroth.
Rock plays totally different from Astaroth. His damage is dependent on landing his throws and most of his moves are set-ups for those throws. A perfect example is his 3B. It leaves the opponent in a downed state, from which Rock can do one of his throws against downed opponents. Another example is his 66B, which can combo into a grab on CH. He really has a very different playstyle from any other SC character, and honestly the closest parallel I can think of is the Arthur / samurai style from SC3.

While I thought he was really fun to play, the fact that throws were so easy to break in 4 (and seem to be even easier to break in 6) meant that he was destined for bottom tier. That doesn't mean that they can't make him work, but it would definitely take some work.

You say it like having a game with a paper thin excuse plot is a good thing.
No. I said that in a fighting game, characters are always more important than story. Chars and their gameplay are the real focus of a beat'em'up, that's all.

This may have already been stated, but the new game takes place from SCI-III right? So does that mean that Soul Blade has already happened?? I ask because I assume so based on the photos of Sophita hurting Cervantes

From [SoulBlade] to SoulCalibur II are the words from Okubo's mouth. But SoulCalibur III and IV take place in the same year as SoulCalibur II.

Back