Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Hello guys !
Today new videos :)

My Xianghua Versus Keysona's Yoshimitsu ! Yoshi is quite impressive with his new style and moves, I really like !
I wish every char can have Brave edge moves like him, it makes the game really deeper with another way to manage the meter.

And some new Geralt because I'm in love :p ! I play versus Keev's Sieg and Nightmare so you can see how Geralt does at distance.

Please, enjoy !!

As someone who got a lot of mileage out of playing both Amy and Viola, the options at hand are equally distressing and promising to me.

Going back to something Windstar mentioned pages back, one thing worth noting when thinking about the characters that might be added to the roster is comparing the amount of slots available on the select screen with the amount of names that are listed on the story mode screenshot.

View attachment 49750
View attachment 49751

Barring any other further alterations to both, the select screen only has nine slots left (when you add Talim), while the story mode screen has six blurred names (not including one that presumably will go to Talim). This means that of the nine characters left in the roster, at the very least three of them will not even have a story mode to be accessed. This predicament just reminds me of the unlockable boss/story-exclusive characters from SCV that were Alpha Patroklos, Pyrrha Omega, and the mimics (Kilik/Elysium/Edge Master).

For certain I can say that three of the six slots left will likely be Astaroth, Cervantes, and Voldo (surprise surprise), but if I had to guess on the last three slots? Raphael (brought Siegfried out of Soul Edge's control), Tira (joining Zasalamel to represent SC3 and be an ample part of both Nightmare and Sophitia's storylines), as well as Lizardman (the story mode screenshot everyone likes to reference; plus a sword and shield character that's different from Sophitia in the same way that Pyrrha and Patroklos were? What a concept). Grøh's father might end up being an unlockable boss character, or one of them.

One problem is that the timeline won’t match up to anyone that wasn’t part of SC1 based on solely on those points in those six blurred spots. There’s also the fact you have to consider that the lower left corner may be a CAS reserved slot so you’re not stuck with 9 slots, but 8, and considering that even Geralt is getting a story mode then the two remaining slots are bosses. One of which could be a new comer. The other one being an Edgemaster or Inferno.

There’s stil, the possibility that the central slot will open up for a third character boss. But I like to think it could also be where the DLC character slot would be. If they don’t add them elsewhere.

There’s also one more thing. I’m pretty certain, Lizardman won’t feature in the story mode. But he will be in the game as a CAS pre-set. Very likely, Rothion is a pre-set CAS with Pat’s or Lizardman’s style. And if there are going to be pre-sets with holdover styles from earlier games, then I don’t see why they can’t include other styles from earlier games here. This could be one way to bring back Starkiller, Viola and ZWEI styles.

So at best, you have a roster with 22 or 23 characters. 2 or 3 of them boss characters with no story mode and the rest returning characters. 6 slots left, incidentally there are 7 SC1 characters still missing.

Someone just wants SCV with Xianghua lol.

I like all the effects that help you discern the differences between types of moves. I thought though that CH was the yellow electricity bits, blue arcs were for break attacks?

The ones I find a little misleading are character-specific colors that clash with certain mechanics, like Nightmare or Groh having the red that is similar to RE, etc.

that geralt fire move is pretty cheap. Does chip damage, hits grounded, has some tracking, pushback.

They should eliminate the pushback so at least it would be more punishable. Especially considering you're already taking damage just for blocking it. I've seen this move spammed like to other.

One thing to remember about the story having 20 characters is that the original character select also only had 20 slots. There's 3 possibilities for story mode the way I see it, it doesn't just have to be 3 bosses

- 3 bosses/special story characters like aPat with no story modes of their own
- the space below Geralt is 3 more story modes you unlock by completing someone else's story (Sophie gives Cassie, Ivy gives Cervantes, something like that)
- there was only 20 characters planned initially so they only wrote the story for those 20, with the 3 corner slots being later additions after the story stuff had all been written

I think all three could all be possible, but of course option 2 would be the ideal one.

The visual effects look fine and that blue flash for counter hits is very useful for hit-confirming attacks. Stop acting like they cover the entire screen. I wouldn't want the developers to tone down or even take away effects just because some people are exaggerating.
Visual noise is an actual problematic thing that appears in media and anything that becomes too busy creates that same annoyance. There's a real delicate balance that has to be done here. The aura's/wind cuts are visual cues to stop you from squinting your eyes to see what's going off but too much ends up becoming distracting to the point of useless. Characters staggering differently is the correct way of doing this counter damage, it would be more time consuming but it would be correct and pleasing to the eyes to see.

I wish every char can have Brave edge moves like him, it makes the game really deeper with another way to manage the meter.

Yeah, being able to use meter-limited attacks when you want them is pretty nice.

Also cool that Siegfried has a mirrored hurt box @0:53

Visual noise is an actual problematic thing that appears in media and anything that becomes too busy creates that same annoyance. There's a real delicate balance that has to be done here. The aura's/wind cuts are visual cues to stop you from squinting your eyes to see what's going off but too much ends up becoming distracting to the point of useless. Characters staggering differently is the correct way of doing this counter damage, it would be more time consuming but it would be correct and pleasing to the eyes to see.

It's not problematic in this game and different stagger animations would likely cause issues with game balancing, which isn't necessary when you can simply change the visual effect for counter hits... Even though this is subjective, the gameplay shouldn't suffer.

It's not problematic in this game and different stagger animations would likely cause issues with game balancing, which isn't necessary when you can simply change the visual effect for counter hits... Even though this is subjective, the gameplay shouldn't suffer.
Please read. (I've edited out all the advertisment but here's the link if you want to have the source.
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=115487)
Visual Noise Migraine.PNG

Please read. (I've edited out all the advertisment but here's the link if you want to have the source.
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=115487)

It depends on how many people have this issue. If not many people complain, then it wouldn't be fair to tone down or take away the effects for the majority who have no problem with them. In that case, the only solution is to add an option which disables visual effects, but don't expect that to happen.

I'm really surprised that visual effects are over the top for some people. I was under the impression that the game's look is a step in the right direction. :( I still am. :)

I also don't see how this could be remedied without it being at the expense of others' enjoyment. The devs could implement the option in settings, but the tournaments would have to have it on, so you'd have done nothing. :P

The Counter Hit effect is the only one I have a problem with. I actually love all the other hit effects and flashy stuff and it makes the game look prettier. And I'm fine with Counter Hit HAVING a visual, but the current one is just too big, oddly shaped and looks like a half moon pulse emanating from the tip of your weapon. If your weapon or opponent just flashed blue or something instead it would be nicer. Just something less awkward looking would be appreciated.

I'll get used to it obviously. I already kinda have from the gameplay footage but I still don't LIKE it. It's s more for the pro gamers anyway, which I am not, so I have no use for it, lol. I'm sure for most of you it's a far more important thing.

I don't really like to give opinion in things like that. I've at least to spent a hour or 2 with the game so i can really tell my opinion about those kind of stuffs Aura, special effect and cie.

Back