Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

This is me being biased, but Yun-seong's theme in SCII (Destiny Awaits No One) was absolutely killer and I'd want him back if they could reintroduce not only the Ayutthaya Villa stage but also some sort of new rendition of that theme.

To be in the spirit of the time they're going for and the DLC back then, along with weapon choice, and games coming out, it'd be cool to have Pit in this game with all the talk he could do. Good music, too.

Plus, with Spawn and Star Wars, is not as if SC is averse to non-VG guests.
The Star Wars characters have gotten a lot of stick over the years for how disliked they are from an aesthetic point of view and personally Geralt's includement reinforces the fact Project Soul have been getting better at their guest character choices for the series.

Anyway I'm of the mind the next guest character isn't even going to be a game character but more likely manga origin. I just get this feeling that the team have already filled the game character spot with Geralt so they would want to look elsewhere. Question is, who?

I have been thinking about the "outrage" some people and publications have when they see women like Ivy or comments about how she's from the higher classes, that her default costume should be that P2 from SCII that's all bifauxnen. That she should be "modest." Anyone else see Ivy having some similarities to Marquis de Sade? The guy was a noble, a politician, and a sexual pervert. A big one for the time. Why can't people apply this to Ivy? Don't they hear all the innuendo that comes out of her mouth? Is that "modest"? Can't they see one is the face we show in public, and the other our real self?

It would be cool if Namco did something to let the players wrap themselves into the minds of their characters, something like an introduction video when you start Story Mode. Like seeing Ivy in her dungeon sipping on a cup of tea while sitting on her favorite human furniture before deciding to go look for Soul Edge shards. Or show where Talim leaving her temple or whatever so people won't think she just smoked kilos of marihuana before the fight when they hear her talking about hugging the wind and shit.
I just think explaining little details like these would go a long way into making a character lore richer, and maybe make haters complain less now that they would know why characters are the way they are. And lessen the chance that social media pressure changes our game. It has happened to Street Fighter, it has happened to Dead or Alive.

I have been thinking about the "outrage" some people and publications have when they see women like Ivy or comments about how she's from the higher classes, that her default costume should be that P2 from SCII that's all bifauxnen. That she should be "modest." Anyone else see Ivy having some similarities to Marquis de Sade? The guy was a noble, a politician, and a sexual pervert. A big one for the time. Why can't people apply this to Ivy? Don't they hear all the innuendo that comes out of her mouth? Is that "modest"? Can't they see one is the face we show in public, and the other our real self?

Social engineers don't self reflect, their mindset is that they're right and you're wrong. It's no different than the boob armour argument even when it was debuncked by actual armor smiths saying that all you have to do is make that part of the armour thicker than the rest of the chest plate. Do they listen, no.

It would be cool if Namco did something to let the players wrap themselves into the minds of their characters, something like an introduction video when you start Story Mode. Like seeing Ivy in her dungeon sipping on a cup of tea while sitting on her favorite human furniture before deciding to go look for Soul Edge shards. Or show where Talim leaving her temple or whatever so people won't think she just smoked kilos of marihuana before the fight when they hear her talking about hugging the wind and shit.
I just think explaining little details like these would go a long way into making a character lore richer, and maybe make haters complain less now that they would know why characters are the way they are. And lessen the chance that social media pressure changes our game. It has happened to Street Fighter, it has happened to Dead or Alive.

Okay I seriously laughed at the thought of Talim smoking a joint before a fight lol. I kinda get what you mean, I would like to see some cutscene or something depicting her leaving her village. As for Ivy, it's not so much that her sexiness is bad. I got used to Ivy's sexy trope pretty quickly but I prefer it when her sexy outfits have a hint of classy style to it. For example, her SC2 1-player outfit has that neat mesh/sheer abdomen cutout that gives this sultry style to it rather than bearing it all which also translated to her SC3 1-player look (though white is definitely not a good color on her). SCIV was easily her worst because it didn't have any sultry style to it, just plain out pandering and desperateness. And then her SCV 1-Player went back to form and ended up being one of her best looks (in my opinion). Her SCVI outfit is really not doing it for me so far so yeah, I'm hoping she gets a cool 2-player outfit to make up for it.

It's all about the art of the sexiness that I like when it comes to sexy outfits. There's a cool stylish way and there's a trashy, desperate way. I prefer the former, not the latter, especially when it comes to Ivy whom I really do like as a character.

That reminded me of another reason how and why SCV fumbled being a timeskip sequel. Not only did it not include one established character that made perfect sense to be playable when they were older (Bangoo) but they didn't bother including Li Long and Chie's son Riki.... who could have used some kind of unique moveset (three-sectioned staff or even sai) but instead went with Taki replacement Naruto reference Natsu, whom Chie also raised. It's just painful to think how badly they botched that.
At least including Riki and Natsu would have softened the Natsu blow somewhat.

...but knowing our luck, Riki would've probably wound up being the Sasuke to her Naruto or something awful like that knowing the development team back then. rofl
Like you said SCV had a lot of-and I mean a LOT of missed opportunities for it to feel like a sequel only for it to be supposedly said that the the timeskip was an arbitrary number. Sigh. Will say I was one of those before the release of SCV that was enthusiastic about the the timeskip and felt like it would be a change of fresh air. Sadly the way it was handled was done horribly bad.

If VI continued from where it left off I would have actually liked to see how Riki; with the addition of Bangoo and even Salia would look like. With Riki I kind of envisioned him wearing a skintight outfit similar to Taki and Natsu, but wearing a hat similar to his dad and wielding a kusarigama (chain sickle).

With his personality I like to imagine he would be one of those laid back, but with a brotherly type of guy that looks out for others. At least that is what my idle vision of Riki is like going with how his relationship with Natsu is described. Also wanted to see his relationship between his parents would be like; particularly with Li Long seeing how I assume Riki would be around eight that he sees his dad for the first time.

Though as you said, they would probably make him similar to Sasuke...and I will lose my shit if that were the direction they wanted to take his character.

Hi everyone! I took a trip to Anime Expo in LA to get some footage to make an Ivy move list video. Only had a limited time alone with the demo, so a few moves are missing. The video footage was corrupted unfortunately, so sorry for the low quality.

I will try to attend EVO next month and gather more footage for a combo video as well.

Enjoy! <3

Last edited:
Here's another interview with Okubo:
https://wccftech.com/soul-calibur-vi-e3-interview-producer/

Most of the information in the interview we already know, but there where a couple of new tidbits.
  • When asked about alternate and joke weapons, Okubo said he couldn't say anything yet, but could answer that question when they reveal details about the 2nd story mode (maybe indicating that alternate weapons are tied to 2nd story mode?).
  • Okubo also said there aren’t any plans at the moment for "costume collaborations". Not sure if he's referring to costumes designed by guest artists or costumes of characters from other video games.

Hi everyone! I took a trip to Anime Expo in LA to get some footage to make and Ivy move list video. Only had a limited time alone with the demo, so a few moves are missing. The video footage was corrupted unfortunately, so sorry for the low quality.

I will try to attend EVO next month and gather more footage for a combo video as well.

Enjoy! <3

I love the song choice! and great video

Like you said SCV had a lot of-and I mean a LOT of missed opportunities for it to feel like a sequel only for it to be supposedly said that the the timeskip was an arbitrary number. Sigh. Will say I was one of those before the release of SCV that was enthusiastic about the the timeskip and felt like it would be a change of fresh air. Sadly the way it was handled was done horribly bad.

If VI continued from where it left off I would have actually liked to see how Riki; with the addition of Bangoo and even Salia would look like. With Riki I kind of envisioned him wearing a skintight outfit similar to Taki and Natsu, but wearing a hat similar to his dad and wielding a kusarigama (chain sickle).

With his personality I like to imagine he would be one of those laid back, but with a brotherly type of guy that looks out for others. At least that is what my idle vision of Riki is like going with how his relationship with Natsu is described. Also wanted to see his relationship between his parents would be like; particularly with Li Long seeing how I assume Riki would be around eight that he sees his dad for the first time.

Though as you said, they would probably make him similar to Sasuke...and I will lose my shit if that were the direction they wanted to take his character.
Riki using a kusarigama (one of the top most requested weapons that fans have want utilized for years) would've been the perfect way and opportunity to finally introduce that weapon to the series. Now I'm frustrated again. lol
Like you, I actually saw potential in the timeskip when it was originally announced to be the direction it was taking.... but the actual way they went about it and did it was the purest definition of pointless and wasted potential.
SCVI going back is more than enough evidence that SCV was a massive failure in execution and just about everything except gameplay and the CaS system's further evolution.

Seriously. Everything said about SCIV's guests is that they didn't fit but somehow 2B does.
This stance is kind of an odd one, no offense.
Looking at 2B strictly without her Pod (042) following her around....
1531293304455.png

1531293380597.png

fits right in with the cast of Soul Calibur.
It's not even like she herself does anything that's overly futuristic that totally kills immersion.
Actually, her abilities are perfectly in line with the superhuman feats that the other characters in Soul Calibur are capable of. She's an android, yes. But she isn't doing shit like Android 18 from DBZ or something. lol
The only thing that feels thematically "off" and jarring when dropped into Soul Calibur is Pod 042 following her around.

Hi everyone! I took a trip to Anime Expo in LA to get some footage to make and Ivy move list video. Only had a limited time alone with the demo, so a few moves are missing. The video footage was corrupted unfortunately, so sorry for the low quality.

Enjoy! <3

Thank you! I appreciate it regardless!

I love mimics. More than one is a waste of space, but a singular mimic is a must in my book. It's not something to use competitively, but going through the arcade mode with a character that switches styles each round is tons of fun and a good way to quickly test one's skills with the whole roster. Also mimics are lots of fun while playing non-serious matches with friends.
Since we know with SC6 Okubo and the team prioritize making a fun game for everyone as opposed to concentrating on the competitive aspect, I don't think skipping on a mimic is a good idea at all.
We've already seen Inferno in the in game engine so we have our final boss and mimic already confirmed. Inferno will most likely be unlockable like most of the bosses in the past. If the character select screen does not in fact get bigger come EVO then it's either hidden or is built in the roster already. Inferno is coming though. You can of course have destined battles with other characters though. We do not need more than one mimic as they all do the same thing.

Riki using a kusarigama (one of the top most requested weapons that fans have want utilized for years) would've been the perfect way and opportunity to finally introduce that weapon to the series. Now I'm frustrated again. lol
Like you, I actually saw potential in the timeskip when it was originally announced to be the direction it was taking.... but the actual way they went about it and did it was the purest definition of pointless and wasted potential.
SCVI going back is more than enough evidence that SCV was a massive failure in execution and just about everything except gameplay and the CaS system's further evolution.

This stance is kind of an odd one, no offense.
Looking at 2B strictly without her Pod (042) following her around....
View attachment 49798
View attachment 49799
fits right in with the cast of Soul Calibur.
It's not even like she herself does anything that's overly futuristic that totally kills immersion.
Actually, her abilities are perfectly in line with the superhuman feats that the other characters in Soul Calibur are capable of. She's an android, yes. But she isn't doing shit like Android 18 from DBZ or something. lol
The only thing that feels thematically "off" and jarring when dropped into Soul Calibur is Pod 042 following her around.

Thank you! I appreciate it regardless!

Kusarigame was one of the proposed weapons some time back, it was dropped because Ivy replicates too much of the whip-like styles already in the game.

Likewise, these are the same sort of arguments we've had since SC2 with regards to certain styles (longswords, spears, and more) in that they are already represented with characters like Mina, Nightmare and Siegfried. It's much easier to build a style off a slashing weapon like a naginata than a straight spear or calvary lance. Hilde is one of those creations that basically builds upon another idea with using a shortsword as part of the style.

Aeon coming in with dual axes was a nice idea, but much his dual-axe style was pulled from Krato's moveset (even including Kratos's wings). It'd be nice to introduce a hoplite style (shortspear and large shield), but Greek/European representation is already pretty high at this point.

With that said, I am REALLY curious to see who the second newcomer's style would. If the character is going to be a boss character, I'd hope it wouldn't pull an Edgemaster.

I think I mentioned it previously but I'm not a fan of a second guest character and would rather have characters from the series itself (even characters that have never been playable). That said if we have to have a second here's what I'll hope for.

Ryu Hayabusa - With the new dead or alive game releasing soon perhaps this could be a good chance to advertise. Ryu could work quite well in soul calibur and perhaps dead or alive could borrow taki. Okubo has recently followed Dead or Alive 6 so make of that what you will.

2B: Considering this is one of the most clamored for characters and the fact Okubo follows Yokotaro this is not out of the realm of possibility. It would feel a bit out of place but so did Vader.

William (Nioh): I've mentioned this previously but I think the main character from Nioh would fit perfectly in this series plus there are multiple weapons he can use in the game if they took one of the more unique ones (kusarigama) and did a full character just based on that weapon I think we could have an interesting character. To people saying it's not available on everything that's true but Witcher 3 isn't available on Nintendo and we have Geralt. Also the game is available via PC as well as PS4. It also has a sequel coming out.

Miriam or Gebel: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. I think adding a character from Bloodstained might fit in the Soul Calibur universe as far as style is concerned. It would also be good promotion for the Bloodstained...perhaps we could get some nice music and a stage along with it.

Guts: Guts from Berserk...this would work very well but this is also very unlikely considering the medium and the fact few people would know the character.

It'd be nice to introduce a hoplite style (shortspear and large shield), but Greek/European representation is already pretty high at this point.
I think the biggest problem with a large shield is that visually it would look like it should automatically block half of the attacks even without using a block button, which it of cause won't do for gameplay balance reasons, which will make it look weird clipping incoming attacks right through, being useless for its purpose. I'm not entirely sure how Project Soul can potentially fix this issue.

They could work with something more fantasy. Some sort of deployable large shield, like we see in Sekiro Shadows Die Twice trailer.

Back