Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

View attachment 50978

Nobody saw Cervantes and Raphael yet Kappa
"No, there are definitely 8 more characters and there's a -40% chance the Melbourne build was the launch roster."
Did anyone notice the order for the characters that you can CaS and Profiles screens is similar to one of the 4chan leaks?

That's actually really cool. Either the leaker was involved in UI or these trailers are a lot older than we thought.
Also yet more proof that 21 is the final roster.
Always gotta put a pessimistic spin on everything, right? No wonder why everyone here is so miserable. You become what you repeatedly see, read and do.
NO COMPLAINTS ALLOWED
IF YOU HAVE ANY OPINION STRAYING FROM THE HIVE, YOU SHALL BE TERMINATED

The thing that bothers me about the complaints people have is that there really isn't much to reasonably or constructively complain about.

Take all the complaints about Tira being DLC, and how Namco are wringing people dry for every cent they can by making a popular character DLC. Sounds reasonable if you're judging the game against SCII, a game that came out around 15 years ago. Judging SCVI against gaming as a whole now, it's incredibly benign and reasonable.

Take NBA2K19 for example. Similar to Soulcalibur VI seems to work, unlocking stuff in that game, such as stats and cosmetic items for your character, takes virtual currency that you grind by playing the game. Except of course, at every turn you're encouraged to spend real money to buy this virtual currency because grinding it in-game takes forever. Could you imagine if SCVI had "Soul Bucks" that you earned by playing, but were constantly encouraged to pull out your wallet and buy, to buy hairstyles or weapons or whatever?

When you look at something like that and see people complaining about Tira being DLC and equating them to be anywhere near the same thing, it's hard to take that "criticism" seriously because it's so tone deaf to the context of what gaming is like nowadays.

Or people complaining about the small roster size. I get it, it sucks that your preferred character isn't in the game, but there are a lot of good reasons why may be the case that have been mentioned over and over in this thread. At the end of the day you have to realize Project Soul don't have infinite time and money and had to make some tough choices, and to trust in their vision.

I'm not saying your complaint of "BUT WHY ISN'T CASS/HILDE/AMY/HWANG IN THE ROSTER?!" isn't valid, but it's a complaint based on your personal feelings. It's not indicative of the amount of work that went into the game, or the realities of whether or not it would have even been possible to put those characters in without sacrificing something else equally important. It's not criticism, it's stomping your feet and whining. I don't think it's controversial to say this type of complaining isn't useful to anybody.

I'm all for complaining and raising pitchforks when the game industry tries to screw consumers over. But it's just not here. The complaints aren't based on reasonable expectations being denied, it's people imposing their own expectations of what the perfect Soulcalibur game has to be onto SCVI, and then getting angry when it doesn't meet them. I don't see the value of that kind of stuff when there's already so much to be excited for.

Still I think Azwel should be opposite Talim. Otherwise we’re off to a good start roster wise. Shame the sword&shield and cutlass will look weird on men, but we’d have to deal with complaints.

Cervantes looks pretty awesome, but that’s me as a fan of dual wielding swords.

I’m convinced this will make up for V. It feels like a complete package, unlike say Tekken 7 or SFV. Quality over quantity I guess. Might be the first fighter I’ve played in a while.

I don’t see why Azwel should be all the way down there if the top row is so far filled with characters have the most intrinsic ties to the central conflict. We keep saying Inferno is the mimic character, but what if he was just limited to being a boss character and the mimic was...I dunno, Edge Master? Edge Master being opposite of Azwel makes great thematic sense. Just food for thought.

The thing that bothers me about the complaints people have is that there really isn't much to reasonably or constructively complain about.

Take all the complaints about Tira being DLC, and how Namco are wringing people dry for every cent they can by making a popular character DLC. Sounds reasonable if you're judging the game against SCII, a game that came out around 15 years ago. Judging SCVI against gaming as a whole now, it's incredibly benign and reasonable.

Take NBA2K19 for example. Similar to Soulcalibur VI seems to work, unlocking stuff in that game, such as stats and cosmetic items for your character, takes virtual currency that you grind by playing the game. Except of course, at every turn you're encouraged to spend real money to buy this virtual currency because grinding it in-game takes forever. Could you imagine if SCVI had "Soul Bucks" that you earned by playing, but were constantly encouraged to pull out your wallet and buy, to buy hairstyles or weapons or whatever?

When you look at something like that and see people complaining about Tira being DLC and equating them to be anywhere near the same thing, it's hard to take that "criticism" seriously because it's so tone deaf to the context of what gaming is like nowadays.

Or people complaining about the small roster size. I get it, it sucks that your preferred character isn't in the game, but there are a lot of good reasons why may be the case that have been mentioned over and over in this thread. At the end of the day you have to realize Project Soul don't have infinite time and money and had to make some tough choices, and to trust in their vision.

I'm not saying your complaint of "BUT WHY ISN'T CASS/HILDE/AMY/HWANG IN THE ROSTER?!" isn't valid, but it's a complaint based on your personal feelings. It's not indicative of the amount of work that went into the game, or the realities of whether or not it would have even been possible to put those characters in without sacrificing something else equally important. It's not criticism, it's stomping your feet and whining. I don't think it's controversial to say this type of complaining isn't useful to anybody.

I'm all for complaining and raising pitchforks when the game industry tries to screw consumers over. But it's just not here. The complaints aren't based on reasonable expectations being denied, it's people imposing their own expectations of what the perfect Soulcalibur game has to be onto SCVI, and then getting angry when it doesn't meet them. I don't see the value of that kind of stuff when there's already so much to be excited for.
Your defense of Tira isn't even a good response, it's whataboutism. "These people do x so why can't we do y" will never be a good response. Day One DLC characters in a fighting will always be shitty no matter who does it. What you're effectively saying here is that publishers can do whatever they want to their games as long as it doesn't reach BattleFront 2 levels of greed.

Only because the base roster looks wonky like that. But it could be Edge Master up there... It’s not the characters I’m concerned about as much as the weird gap. Still, Tira may be in that slot next to Taki.

Well, if HwAeon is truly not happening, then my only qualm is how they've laid out the character select screen. Two random spots in the main square just looks lousy.

Does anyone know if there's a convention a tournament something were people could get there hands on the new build before it's released?

Your defense of Tira isn't even a good response, it's whataboutism. "These people do x so why can't we do y" will never be a good response. Day One DLC characters in a fighting will always be shitty no matter who does it. What you're effectively saying here is that publishers can do whatever they want to their games as long as it doesn't reach BattleFront 2 levels of greed.

Not at all. What I'm saying is that it's naive and unrealistic to think that any company trying to turn a profit is going to completely disregard proven methods of generating income (DLC) for no benefit other than some consumer goodwill. Especially one that consumers have already grown accept like DLC, not even a controversial one like lootboxes or in-game currency or whatever.

Let's take it as truth when Okubo said that Tira was a late addition and wasn't originally planned to be in the base game, but will be ready in time to be day one DLC. What exactly is your proposed solution or alternative here? Delay the entire game's release so one character can make it into the base game? It's either give Tira away as free day one DLC because Namco are such nice and kind people, or don't have her in the game at all. Complaining is easy, actually proposing solutions under the time and budget constraints of a multi million dollar project are harder.

A certain amount of "other companies are doing it so we'll do it too" isn't whataboutism, it's the realities of competing in a market with consumers who have expectations about other similar products they buy. Pretending these standards and trends don't exist and can be disregarded at any point just because a games company wants to be nice is not reasonable. Not having any DLC earns Namco/PS a bunch of Nice Guy Points, it doesn't earn them much revenue that can be turned into a better SCVII. You could argue that earned goodwill could translate into more sales, but if you think that will earn more than Tira DLC... well, that's why you aren't making these decisions and other people are.

And your counter argument is ? Like, you often spout weightless criticism that lack precedent in fighting games. Believe it or not, fighting games are not selling 10 million copies and then adding micro transactions on top of that claiming it is to cover losses.

In fact that is why people are critical of your negativity, you always make negative comments as if fighting games are not their own niche with their own practices and most of the time you ignore precedent.

Well, if HwAeon is truly not happening, then my only qualm is how they've laid out the character select screen. Two random spots in the main square just looks lousy.
Why is this a thing? Did I miss the part where they confirmed fewer launch characters? Even if it's not hwang/aeon, why do people think the launch roster will have 2 less characters?

Just saw this comment on YouTube and I'm fucking dying.
I'm glad Cervantes is back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180912-125902_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20180912-125902_YouTube.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 423
Why is this a thing? Did I miss the part where they confirmed fewer launch characters? Even if it's not hwang/aeon, why do people think the launch roster will have 2 less characters?
Because people are gonna be pessimistic, and there's not a lot we can do about it. There's nothing to indicate 100% that Hwang and Lizardman are not in the game, or that there aren't two more slots left to reveal after Cervantes and Raphael. It's possible, as anything is until confirmed, but it's beyond terrible a design choice to have empty slots in between and haphazardly placed among the base roster characters that are reserved for DLC.

Because people are gonna be pessimistic, and there's not a lot we can do about it. There's nothing to indicate 100% that Hwang and Lizardman are not in the game, or that there aren't two more slots left to reveal after Cervantes and Raphael. It's possible, as anything is until confirmed, but it's beyond terrible a design choice to have empty slots in between and haphazardly placed among the base roster characters that are reserved for DLC.
So on the one hand if they actually removed the characters from launch there's 0 way they'd have those slots still on the character select menu.

On the other hand it takes some seriously stupid marketing when you KNOW people over analyze shit like this to leave them on there that long and to just drop them last second. It takes some seriously out there logic to err on the side of 2 more characters not being in.

Some people believe the classified build with Raph & Cervantes will just have 20 characters on the base roster.

Back