Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Talking about mimics - I think that perfect mimic would be a shapeshifter looking like just an absolutely black (white as alt-color) default body that changes not only weapon between rounds, but a form too (to fit with the style mimicked), but the form is always default almost (still has a face outline to not be completely creepy, uses the most default CaS one) feautureless "nude (even without eyes, hair, etc)" blackness. the only things that change are size and "visual gender". Name's obviously Doppelganger, voice lines are a generic grunting.
pros:
1) not a unique character that needs actual design made (basically looks like a mannequin), story written and voicelines recorded (beyond minimum). Uses the most basic shape stuff available.
2) as size changes to fit the weapon no style would feel unbalanced in its hands (if it's an Astaroth - it's Astaroth-size, if it's a Talim - it's Talim-size)
3) any moveset would look fitting on it, again, because of shape change. And as feminine body features would be assumed when it uses female character's style it won't ever look awkward. It being just a humanoid-looking piece of dark(or white) material adds to that too, as it never clashes with it's non-existent personality.
4) can be used as a random encounter in the story mode a few times
cons:
1) some may find it creepy, some may find it boring

As for Inferno and EdgeMaster - they can be given their own movesets.
Inferno - uses mostly Nightmare's moves (as it uses his weapon), but also has Asta's grabs (and a few other attacks) and Cerv's GDR and teleport moves, in SoulCharge gets NightTerror stuff too.
EdgeMaster - has different weapons equipped all over his body, has multiple stances that allow him to uses different weapons. Has moves (and obviously weapons) of Hwang, Spawn, Assasin (SCV guest one), some SCIII bonus characters, etc. Just like Inferno is a mix and match of different movesets, but unlike FlamingSkeletor not ones present in the game.

Not the most recent, but Vesperia, Symphonia 2,Xillia 1/2 and Graces F have great combat mechanics that improve what Symphonia had.

Only Vesperia has great combat mechanics out of these games IMO. The rest are littered with problems. Ironically you don't mention Berseria which I consider to be one of the strongest Tales titles in almost every aspect. The series in general is pretty mediocre though.

Talking about mimics - I think that perfect mimic would be a shapeshifter looking like just an absolutely black (white as alt-color) default body that changes not only weapon between rounds, but a form too (to fit with the style mimicked), but the form is always default almost (still has a face outline to not be completely creepy, uses the most default CaS one) feautureless "nude (even without eyes, hair, etc)" blackness. the only things that change are size and "visual gender". Name's obviously Doppelganger, voice lines are a generic grunting.
pros:
1) not a unique character that needs actual design made (basically looks like a mannequin), story written and voicelines recorded (beyond minimum). Uses the most basic shape stuff available.
2) as size changes to fit the weapon no style would feel unbalanced in its hands (if it's an Astaroth - it's Astaroth-size, if it's a Talim - it's Talim-size)
3) any moveset would look fitting on it, again, because of shape change. And as feminine body features would be assumed when it uses female character's style it won't ever look awkward. It being just a humanoid-looking piece of dark(or white) material adds to that too, as it never clashes with it's non-existent personality.
cons:

Inferno - uses mostly Nightmare's moves (as it uses his weapon), but also has Asta's grabs (and a few other attacks) and Cerv's GDR and teleport moves, in SoulCharge gets NightTerror stuff too.
EdgeMaster - has different weapons equipped all over his body, has multiple stances that allow him to uses different weapons. Has moves (and obviously weapons) of Hwang, Spawn, Assasin (SCV guest one), some SCIII bonus characters, etc. Just like Inferno is a mix and match of different movesets, but unlike FlamingSkeletor not ones present in the game.

I think if we were going to have a shapeshifting mimic, Charade could easily fill the role. It's just an eye with a bunch of bone-like pieces forming it's "body" so it could easily adjust it's shape and size.

I think if we were going to have a shapeshifting mimic, Charade could easily fill the role. It's just an eye with a bunch of bone-like pieces forming it's "body" so it could easily adjust it's shape and size.
Blank mannequin is just much less resource-consuming, as it's the most generic form possible.
Charade would require actually making a model and adjusting animations to its weird shape, while this thing won't.

So many videos! I kinda regret watching some of them because I don't want the whole game spoiled but I'm so desperate for it it's hard to resist.

Both Soul Chronicle and Libra of Souls look amazing. I don't think I could be any happier with them. I'm glad all we've seen is the main Soul Chronicle with Kilik's gang 'cause I'm excited to see how the individual characters are done (though Kilik, Maxi and Xianghua will be interesting to see how they differ from the main story).

Arcade I'm glad for the 8 battles but I'm really not sure on the presentation. I agree with others that it looks quite... unfinished or just... mediocre. I'm not sure how I feel about the 'random stages' aspect. On one hand I'm used to and expect/prefer characters to have their own stage, but on the other, it helps break the monotony a bit to know you won't always fight the same character on the same stage. The lack of a boss at the end is probably the most annoying thing, especially knowing Inferno is in the game already.

Character Creation looks awesome. I do think there's a lot of re-used stuff and not too many new things but from what I've seen it's gonna be a lot of fun regardless and as others have pointed out, there's probably a lot of unlocks too.

Tomorrow I'm gonna turn on my PS4 and maybe search out the Beta and let it install. Then I'll either play it or won't... I really don't want to for the whole 'not ruining my first impressions' or 'being teased for a couple days then having it taken away' thing, but I dunno... I guess my willpower will be tested.

pros:
cons:

Mystique is a good model.

They have to stick with Inferno at least in SC6 for lore reasons. Maybe if SC7 takes place in a different time they can change it up lol.

On the topic of Soul Chronicles...

Is there any video of Cervantes or Raphael story?

This is a ridiculous thought, but maybe they were (near) last to be revealed because Aeon, Hwang, or even other (new) character storyline intersects with theirs?

Also, has anyone else's storyline mentioned Tira?

The Kittymeow is one of the last unlockables afaik... I hope that means that’s not all the parts.

Unless for some dumb reason the DLC is missing pieces.

Last edited:
I'm away from my PS4, so sadly I'll miss the beta.
But to everyone who can't find it - look up in demos category, from my experience with BBCTB beta - sometimes betas for some reason won't show up if you search for it manually, but can easily be found in the demo versions.

Blank mannequin is just much less resource-consuming, as it's the most generic form possible.
Charade would require actually making a model and adjusting animations to its weird shape, while this thing won't.
Yeah, but personally I would hope in the future we won't have to worry so much about time or budget constraints. I'd rather they not have to limit themselves based on those aspects and end up with a generic, boring mimic as a result. Of course, that may be wishful thinking.

Like you said, some people, myself included, would find that boring. Actually, I find most of the mimics boring. Olcadan is my favorite because he has an actual personality. If a character is going to end up on the roster, I would rather they have actual... character, I guess. Nobody's favorite is ever gonna be weird, faceless silhouette guy.

we won't have to worry so much about time or budget constraints
Such things would always play a role, even if to a (not much) lesser extent than now.
Money and schedule would always be a thing.
boring mimic as a result
Well, mimic is not a character of their own really, so it would be for the better if less resources would be spend on such a thing.
Nobody's favorite is ever gonna be weird, faceless silhouette guy
Well, no mimic is going to be a favorite in general, because they are bound to be a little "extra" and nothing more ( though Olcadan is pretty cool, I agree. Best mimic in the series).
Also I think it would be kinda unique and cool in it's own right to have an actual shapeshifter as a mimic.

Last edited:
Back