Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

My point for saying she isn't good is that there are far too many negatives compared to positives, all characters should have flaws and risk can definitely be one of those things, talim can be a risky character and it would be fine, but combine that with low range, low damage, unsafe lows, unsafe stances, unsafe normals (from block push back) and very few mixups, and the backstepping Ramus mentioned. What you get is a character that requires you to take constant risks at very close range with little damage payoff and hoping your opponent doesn't realize every time you do a flip, spin, or turn in between your strings they can just do their fastest mid A and literally stop most of it cause with a large majority of the cast their As will knock you out of back turn, side turn, forward, and back jump after block before you have a chance to do anything else. Talim plays like a technical rushdown character where positioning is very important but has no way to effectively counter having space put between her and because all her fastest attacks are mids and highs it's really not gonna hold up to a competent player that just puts distance between them and pokes or one that can just counter all her stances.

back turn? A or backstep
side turn? A
forward jump? A or B
back jump? A or backstep

you've just closed down the majority of her offense and she has no way to quickly and safely get back in (that i'm aware of)
it fucking sucks cause I love playing talim and was really hoping her stances would be more useful after 10 YEARS of waiting for her to return... but no, they basically made her like 3 or 4 with a new stance that admittedly has some pretty neat stuff but it's just all too unsafe to reliably use. As I see it now she doesn't feel good, it could change, there could be more we find out at release, I could simply be missing something, there could be balance changes, but i'm not holding my breath.

I'll agree with a large amount of the potential issues you've pointed out , however I can say 2 things. The first is that that she does manage to put out some large chunks of damage after the initial hit because of how fluidly her attacks string together. She's no knightmare or Sieg who an just chunk you in three hits but more viola. Secondly, and this is what I need to confirm, but I've had Talim jump a couple of A's while doing her forward flips and I'm not just saying they missed cause i was over them, in one moment I could have sworn it actually clipped me and I was still fine. Yeah, horizontals are an issue but I since I haven't fought a Talim yet I can't properly test out how easy it is to shut her down. I'm not saying you're wrong at all but I'd want to see two competent players first go head to head and see if play out before I make any judgement because they're could be a couple of things like you've said we just don't know about yet since we don't have the game. By all means I'd be peeved too if this ends up being final case where she ends up being countered by just backsteps and horizontals but I want to see this in practice first. I'm just glad I can cancel RE into a stance and then cancel stance. Just play her, have fun and worry about her viability later. I've waited 10 years for her too, so I'm going to continue testing out a bunch of things on her before I determine how viable she actually is, but honestly that's probably not going to affect how much I play her anyway. Just keep in mind, on release, every character tends to be good at taking out their opponents in some way, so I'm sure the PS team has thought about these things.

Last edited:
Okay so after half a day of playing, here’s my initial thoughts:

- RE is dope when playing Tira (RE B in both Gloomy and Jolly... heart eyes.)
- Soul Charge is useless until I get the movelists and learn what the extensions are lol
- Soph and X seem pretty standard
- Kilik and Talim are as scrubby as ever
- where are the Voldo players
- I love Tira?? bye Soph
- can’t wait for the full game sdfghjkl
I am the only player using Voldo! :-p He's changed a lot... some improvements: 1fps mantis crawl is back - but still not as good as SCIII.

Maxi and Mitsu have excellent Soul Charge from what I've seen. I found some good lockdowns that I've never seen any other player exploiting so far... almost like using V-ism in Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I just wish i knew what the combos were for Voldo and Mitsu.

I mean using RE is a risk, it's like people are talking as if whenever anyone uses RE they auto win the rock/paper/scissor by default.
there is a higher risk for the person that DoESN't initiate it though because whoever initiates it gets first priority to attack.

there is a higher risk for the person that DoESN't initiate it though because whoever initiates it gets first priority to attack.
I mean isn't that the reward for a successful RE? considering how badly you'll be punished if they do side step it or something.

This beta is making me get over my online play fear lol This game might be the only fighting game I play online after launch
Same even if I only got to play it for a few hours. Might be able to get on again tomorrow night. My girlfriend gets to play it today though on my account. Lucky thing.

I'm not sure I like RE for the sole reason that to me it feels both broken and makes everyone feel too samey. It's REALLY easy to use it essentially in place of guard, get some meter, and then go ham.

Yeah, i knew there was going to be an issue with this. Everyone just quickly writes it off like

"oh its just a new mechanic"
"Its steppable"

The problem is it takes far less skill on their part than it does for you to anticipate/react and punish it. I forsee it being quite annoying for a player trying to learn how to play the game. Going through the trouble of investing time and effort of learning setups, combos, when to and not to do something, you know.... all the mechanics of the game only to have all that work shit on just because a complete new player can stroll up and shut all of that down at any time with a single button press.

Yeah you can step it, but learning how to bait and punish something is a different level of skill and i can see a lot of people saying "fuck it" and just drop the game before that occurs.

Really good, tourney level players wont have a problem with it. The super casual, beginner players will love. Everyone else that resides somewhere in the middle will at some point run into a player who beats you in a match solely because of spamming RE when they otherwise would have been destroyed. Then it will fully sink in exactly how bad this mechanic is.

If you're investing time, there's nothing to worry about.

What do you mean about Sunday/top players? Am I missing something?

If someone couldn't play the beta until Sunday for whatever reason, the ranking system stops them from going up against a bunch of people who've already been playing for 2 days and have gotten used to their character's new moveset. Instead they'll be matched against other new players.

This beta is making me get over my online play fear lol This game might be the only fighting game I play online after launch
I felt like that for the first few hours. The second few though... I'm going back to never playing games online again if I can help it. Totally ruined my mental state and even my SCVI hype a little from the thrashings and own retardisms I had last night... I had my taster for the gameplay, which was awesome, but now I'ma wait until I can play against Easy set AI like I'm used to.

Am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with Reversal Edge? Maybe 'cause I'm one of the crappy players that benefit from it? I dunno. I haven't run into anybody spamming it yet either so I guess I haven't been bothered by it so far. In fact most people I played against used it maybe once or twice in a round at most but not every round.

If anything I'm so scared of using RE due to the stigma it has right now that I go out of my way to AVOID using it so that I stop imagining the other player sitting their thinking 'spammer' or 'loser can't do anything else'. I tend to only activate it defensively when the opponent won't get off me, or sometimes if I mess up an input or whif, I'll reflexively activate RE to try and bail myself out of a potential punish. I've never used it offensively or just thrown it out for no reason though.

I personally find it really fun and cinematic and it really does help me feel a LITTLE more comfortable against more skilled players.

I'll agree with a large amount of the potential issues you've pointed out , however I can say 2 things. The first is that that she does manage to put out some large chunks of damage after the initial hit because of how fluidly her attacks string together. She's no knightmare or Sieg who an just chunk you in three hits but more viola. Secondly, and this is what I need to confirm, but I've had Talim jump a couple of A's while doing her forward flips and I'm not just saying they missed cause i was over them, in one moment I could have sworn it actually clipped me and I was still fine. Yeah, horizontals are an issue but I since I haven't fought a Talim yet I can't properly test out how easy it is to shut her down. I'm not saying you're wrong at all but I'd want to see two competent players first go head to head and see if play out before I make any judgement because they're could be a couple of things like you've said we just don't know about yet since we don't have the game. By all means I'd be peeved too if this ends up being final case where she ends up being countered by just backsteps and horizontals but I want to see this in practice first. I'm just glad I can cancel RE into a stance and then cancel stance. Just play her, have fun and worry about her viability later. I've waited 10 years for her too, so I'm going to continue testing out a bunch of things on her before I determine how viable she actually is, but honestly that's probably not going to affect how much I play her anyway. Just keep in mind, on release, every character tends to be good at taking out their opponents in some way, so I'm sure the PS team has thought about these things.
It is very possible that some of the A shenanigans with the jumps could be netcode or wonky hitboxes, I've seen attacks clip too on other characters and some hit that shouldn't so it's not unreasonable. And yeah I'm being a bit hyperbolic with her damage but it does seem the lowest in the game (excluding that CH wind cannon) if you're not getting out a complete string which wouldn't be a problem if her range was just a bit better even by like 20%, it just feels like you REALLY have to work to do what most the cast can do in 3 or 4 hits or others can do from pokes at range.

one thing in particular that bothers me that is just my personal taste is the lack of aGI for her, i wish they would bring that back from 2, the one in AR seems weird and doesn't parry verticals(?)

I felt like that for the first few hours. The second few though... I'm going back to never playing games online again if I can help it. Totally ruined my mental state and even my SCVI hype a little from the thrashings and own retardisms I had last night... I had my taster for the gameplay, which was awesome, but now I'ma wait until I can play against Easy set AI like I'm used to.

Am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with Reversal Edge? Maybe 'cause I'm one of the crappy players that benefit from it? I dunno. I haven't run into anybody spamming it yet either so I guess I haven't been bothered by it so far. In fact most people I played against used it maybe once or twice in a round at most but not every round.

If anything I'm so scared of using RE due to the stigma it has right now that I go out of my way to AVOID using it so that I stop imagining the other player sitting their thinking 'spammer' or 'loser can't do anything else'. I tend to only activate it defensively when the opponent won't get off me, or sometimes if I mess up an input or whif, I'll reflexively activate RE to try and bail myself out of a potential punish. I've never used it offensively or just thrown it out for no reason though.

I personally find it really fun and cinematic and it really does help me feel a LITTLE more comfortable against more skilled players.

I dont have problem with RE or using it. And everyone can avoid it easily by sidestepping so I dont feel bad for using it.

If anything I'm so scared of using RE due to the stigma it has right now that I go out of my way to AVOID using it so that I stop imagining the other player sitting their thinking 'spammer' or 'loser can't do anything else'.

Don't worry about what the other player is thinking of you. If you beat them by spamming, that just means they don't have the skills necessary to handle it. All you're doing is taking advantage of a game mechanic. If you worry too much about what the other person thinks, it's not gonna be very fun at all. And anyone who's salty enough to send hate mail isn't worth your time.

This goes for a lot more than RE. If a mechanic works, I never see a problem in taking advantage of it. I don't use RE much at all personally, but I don't see a problem with those that do.

Oh boy how it take a while to find match, that's literally what helped me to be more patient though:

Also i think Geralt stage will definitely become my Training stage.

It is very possible that some of the A shenanigans with the jumps could be netcode or wonky hitboxes, I've seen attacks clip too on other characters and some hit that shouldn't so it's not unreasonable. And yeah I'm being a bit hyperbolic with her damage but it does seem the lowest in the game (excluding that CH wind cannon) if you're not getting out a complete string which wouldn't be a problem if her range was just a bit better even by like 20%, it just feels like you REALLY have to work to do what most the cast can do in 3 or 4 hits or others can do from pokes at range.

one thing in particular that bothers me that is just my personal taste is the lack of aGI for her, i wish they would bring that back from 2, the one in AR seems weird and doesn't parry verticals(?)

Yeah I completely agree with you on that front. Just seeing chunks that other characters take out of you is a little depressing when you have to put in a lot more work. The CE and even just winning a RE clash her damage does feel lower then what other characters are putting out. I'm actually a bit surprised with her range though, i was hitting some A's just now that looked like they should have been out of reach but we probably chuck that up to some weirdness at the moment.

Back