Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

To quote a wise man:
Not being able to connect or relate to the characters is the most shallow argument I've heard about "cultural representation" ever. I never had trouble relating to Will Smith because I'm not black, or Lyra Belacqua because I'm not female, or Fox McCloud because I'm not an anthropomorphic fucking fox.

If you can't connect to a character, if you can't relate or feel welcomed by them just because of the colour of your skin, I think you need to be asking yourself who's being racist here.

Oh yah, got to love the thinly veiled "I want more diversity" when what what people really want to say is "I want more black characters"

Who knew the Eurasian fantasy would focus primarily in Europeans and Asians.
I want to believe, but i think the s1 characters are going to be Hwang Lizzy and 2B. :'(

Mostly 'cause @Vergeben sounds very sure about this.
I'm not judging him, but Vergeben hasn't had a single right leak in a few months.

To quote a wise man:
Oh yah, got to love the thinly veiled "I want more diversity" when what what people really want to say is "I want more black characters"

I'm not judging him, but Vergeben hasn't had a single right leak in a few months.

Yay mental gymnastics and strawman arguments.

To quote a wise man:

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't say more, but this is too much of a strawman and misrepresentation of arguments.
No one is arguing they can't connect to a character because of such factors. But when you can personally identify with a character in that manner, it has the chance to add MORE connection, not ALL of it, especially when that identity is a marginalised one. See: A gay child growing up in an extremely homophobic household, not seeing themselves represented much in gaming, hates themselves for their sexuality and feels ashamed of themselves, suddenly they find a gay character in a series they really like. How can you call them wrong for connecting with that character more than others? How can you call them wrong for wanting more of that? It's cruel to make such arguments and suggestions and it's intentionally making out arguments in opposition to your own viewpoints to be different from what they actually are.

Yay mental gymnastics and strawman arguments.
Lets recall the roster as it is now.

-Astaroth: No race or nationality as he is a golem, however Golems are found heavily in Jewish mythos.
-Azwel: Danish (Most likely, but think European if you like)
-Cervantes: Spanish
-Groh: Danish
-Inferno: No race or nationality
-Ivy: Spanish born English raised
-Kilik: Chinese
-Maxi: Japan
-Mitsurugi: Japan
-Nightmare/Siegfried: German
-Raphael: French
-Mi-Na: Korea
-Sophitia: Greece
-Taki: Japan
-Talim: Philippines
-Tira: European
-Voldo: Italy
-Xianghua: China
-Yoshimitsu: Japan
-Zasalamel: (???) Not European

So in the cast you have
-10 (9 if you count Sieg and NM as the same) characters
-7 Asian characters
-1 Black character
-2 Monster characters

But somehow this game is not diverse enough ?

PS: This reminds me when people say Animes are not diverse enough because they like POC characters.

One of the positives about the game is that the lighting is pretty good. I feel as if V took being dark a bit too literally.
Personally I felt that about SC4. It's why I'm delighted SC6 looks the way it does, it's like a return to the bright art style it was known for. Not knocking the gritty art style itself it's just that it isn't the tone best suited for the series.

But the first release of SC2 was for arcades with the intention to release it later for consoles with extra development time. The first version of SC6 (and probably only one unless we're lucky) was made only for consoles, so I think console versions make the most sense to compare against.
They intend to add the DLC with extra development time so that's the comparison that makes the most sense. Agree to disagree.

What about those of us who want characters from the Eastern Europe, Middle East, and South Asia and think it's crazy that this Eurasian story somehow skips the central region completely? But it seems like you have some bigger axe to grind so I'll let you have that.

Last edited:
No, there isn't an ulterior motive when we discuss this. Inclusiveness means everyone. Idk why: *"Oh yah, got to love the thinly veiled "I want more diversity" when what what people really want to say is "I want more black characters"* is something to type but y'all got that. I'll probably have a quarter of 8WR members on ignore before the year is out.

on another note, SC6 is on the first page top sellers global on Steam.

exc.gif

No, there isn't an ulterior motive when we discuss this. Inclusiveness means everyone. Idk why: *"Oh yah, got to love the thinly veiled "I want more diversity" when what what people really want to say is "I want more black characters"* is something to type but y'all got that. I'll probably have a quarter of 8WR members on ignore before the year is out.
Because the game is fairly diverse, discussing diversity in a game which is already diverse sounds disrespectful to the characters already represented, it is almost a if it doesn't matter unless it is the type of representation you people care for.

The game is already culturally rich and having more cultures represented would be really cool but if you can't see that, you're banalizing what is already there.

Because the game is fairly diverse, discussing diversity in a game which is already diverse sounds disrespectful to the characters already represented, it is almost a if it doesn't matter unless it is the type of representation you people care for.

The game is already culturally rich and having more cultures represented would be really cool but if you can't see that, you're banalizing what is already there.
welp

Back