Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

One of the things I keep hearing from this site is that SC6 follows a new timeline and the developers can do anything they want to the characters. People especially believe this, because of Zasalamel's inclusion. But so far, we've seen little to no deviation from the original plot. Hell, Kilik's "evil transformation" as always a thing. We're just seeing in gameplay-wise for the first time. I have no reason to believe that they'll separate Amy from Viola. In fact, wouldn't it be a shock if the events of SCV were still going to happen? I also think the word "reboot" as been diluted here, since SCV. This game is a prequel, not a straight-up reboot.
Considering it was never 100% confirmed that Viola was Amy, only hinted at, they could still do what they want with them.

As for the timeline thing, there's literally no point in bringing that up and people getting up in arms over it again like previously, it's just redundant to argue over that now! @DanteSC3 Go have words with Okubo because he's the one who said it... Then again if you delete him we won't even have SCVI so don't do that hahaha

I mean, if you really want to bring it up then... The general definition for a reboot in fiction is "Described as a way to "rebrand" or "restart an entertainment universe that has already been established" and more-so in video games "Reboots in video games are used to refresh the storyline and elements of the game." As well as "For audiences, reboots allow easier entry for newcomers unfamiliar with earlier titles in a series."

And Soulcalibur VI is doing just that (especially the latter). If you don't agree then cool but lets not continue this discussion here once again and take it to inbox or make a thread.

Last edited:
I think someone had mentioned before that the slots on the side of the roster would open up for the rest of the DLC characters. I agree with that theory we have 1p on the left and 2p dlc slots on the right. If someone is choosing cas it would cover the circle so having a 2p dlc column would make sense. Also Hwang and Amy have “reused art” concepts if you will, I think this confirms Cassandra as DLC.

I mean, if you really want to bring it up then... The general definition for a reboot in fiction is "Described as a way to "rebrand" or "restart an entertainment universe that has already been established" and more-so in video games "Reboots in video games are used to refresh the storyline and elements of the game." As well as "For audiences, reboots allow easier entry for newcomers unfamiliar with earlier titles in a series."

And Soulcalibur VI is doing just that (especially the latter). If you don't agree then cool but lets not continue this discussion here once again and take it to inbox or make a thread.
None of that means actually changing anything.

This whole thing about the roster really reminds me when we all didn’t wanna believe in 3 mimics, but then it turned out to be true and we thought that the middle two slots were Zas and Talim

This whole thing about the roster really reminds me when we all didn’t wanna believe in 3 mimics, but then it turned out to be true and we thought that the middle two slots were Zas and Talim

I guess a good thing about a very accurate leak from a long time ago means no nasty surprises like that.

Oh wow, Inferno not being in the center is kind of a big deal. That means there are still two slots ( we already know were Tira is) and the remaining season pass characters are 3. This is confusing. Either the last two slots are indeed unlockable or they're just gonna add a third slot with the day patch and reserve all 3 for DLC. But none of those would make sense lol. Why would they make Hwang/Yun of all characters unlockable? or is it going to be Lizzy and Edge Master? And if it's DLC then would they really forget to add an extra slot? ... this is gonna one tiring last week to endure.

Edit to add Tira just cause:

View attachment 51912

Buuuuuuuuuuut that can indeed be a fake pic, although it looks pretty legit. I'm sure everything will leak tomorrow or after tomorrow and we'll know for sure if there ARE still unlockable characters or those last 2 slots remain empty for DLC.
Couldn't the center slot be just an online timer?

I wonder whether arcade mode was rushed late in development and that's the reason for lack of proper character select screen - the game had to go gold and they ran out of time - Maybe day one patch will fix it.

Just seems insane to me. And will it mean no CaS characters can be used in arcade mode?

I wonder whether arcade mode was rushed late in development and that's the reason for lack of proper character select screen - the game had to go gold and they ran out of time - Maybe day one patch will fix it.

Just seems insane to me.
This.

I really hope that if not Day 1, they will patch something in down the line. We need Destined Battle and Boss at least in order to get that true Arcade feel. It's absurd to me that they even considered not having those, especially with Inferno and his stage actually being in the game, like wtf?

By Colcoton's logic, SCIV created a new timeline by making Algol a thing.

Before SCV, the series had always written contradictory scenarios for each character before the next game rewrote a singular canon about what actually happened. This left a lot of room since the "canon" would only vaguely describe events that often wildly differed from the prior game's scenario. It also made it impossible to know what really happened with all the characters until the sequel. But times changed, and Project Soul decided to tell one canon story involving all the characters in SCV, though their vision was never fully realized with 3/4ths of it cut. SCVI has finally realized that vision.

And from the sizable portions of story content we've seen, SCVI is retelling the old canon with some new characters, namely Groh and Azwel, being retroactively inserted to expand the lore. In fact, it would seem that Azwel, Groh, and the Aval Organization is being largely pushed into the Libra of Souls storyline since it is supposed to be the "secret" history that happens behind the scenes of SCI up through SCII. Whether you spin it as building on prior lore or a retcon, Project Soul is clearly not attempting to radically change the characters and events of past games. One need only look at Groh's footnote involvement in the main plot to see how careful they're being. This is simply the first time they get to flesh out what was once broad summaries with modern technology, which as I've mentioned have left a lot of room to do so.

And if the biggest changes to this "new timeline" is showing what Zasalamel was doing before SCIII and the Illuminati being the Illuminati, then I'm skeptical it should be considered a new timeline. But we'll see.

--Forgon

Back