Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

That is too bad. I know that whole thing with Tira as DLC was ugly, but this is quite a petty response to have. Is one character being announced as DLC really worth throwing that much of a fit about?
I understand the initial backlash and the arguments about why it was an awful decision, but I wish people would get over it already. It's only one facet of the game; there's more to focus on than just being butthurt about Tira as DLC.
It was a marketing incentive gone wrong. We get it. Let it go already.
Should a day one DLC even count towards the quality of the game and its review score? Questionable at the least imo.

So now that SCVI is officially released in Japan, I'm hoping that some kind soul (pun intended) will upload all of the game's music within the next few days. I need to listen to the entire OST because it's so damn good.

Should a day one DLC even count towards the quality of the game and its review score? Questionable at the least imo.
If content was removed from a product you're paying full price for to be resold to you, yes, that should count in a review. A review's job is to tell you if a game is worth your money.

Except Gameblog, main french videogames websites still didn't release test.
Jv.com review was expected for 1h40 ago, still not here either, same for Gamekult.
So maybe embargo extended in France, Hayate is french too.
Just the U.S. websites published reviews actually ? Maybe embargo extended for non-U.S. websites ? Not a lot of sense i know...
This is going into crazy conspiracy land (and I haven't heard of any publisher doing this in recent years), but maybe they're giving lower-scoring reviews an extended embargo.

Yes Jv.com is criticized for its generous ratings so it's not a severity problem.
And not a generosity problem either, because gamekult has been criticized for being too harsh.

If you think Day 1 DLC is somehow especially egregious you don't know how the industry works. All the DLC you buy is planned out and produced well before the game is released with few exceptions. This is industry standard for AAA companies.

The only way to change it at this point is to stop buying games with DLC. Which pretty much means stop buying games all together.

If you think Day 1 DLC is somehow especially egregious you don't know how the industry works. All the DLC you buy is planned out and produced well before the game is released with few exceptions. This is industry standard for AAA companies.

The only way to change it at this point is to stop buying games with DLC. Which pretty much means stop buying games all together.

All DLC is planned out but not produced. Please don't try and create a blanket statement. Budget is allocated to create this content and depending on the publisher they might cut content from the main game but that isn't the usual case. DLC tends to be content that might have already been in production when the game was released but either a) was in preproduction or b) had to be cut due to time constraints/budget imposed from above. However they are not completed on release. Game development continues on past the date when they send the final build to be published which is why you have all the day one patches. Yes there are cases when some dlc is completed before launch and they sell it as day one, Gears 3 is a prime example of this along with capcom as well. However most of this content isn't typically required to have a complete experience with the game.

If content was removed from a product you're paying full price for to be resold to you, yes, that should count in a review. A review's job is to tell you if a game is worth your money.
It's an assumption that content was removed, it's equally possible that the base game was granted X budget which it used up, and additional content that the devs know is desired requires additional resources. If the additional budget is granted, it's likely on condition it recoups the extra investment.
The game should be judged in its actuality, which doesn't include DLC. Is SC VI worth the £50 I paid for it without the DLC? IMO, absolutely. That's how I would review it, looking at what is, not what could have been.
Also, planned DLC is a good thing. It shows the game has a future that will be supported by Namco meaning things like balance, performance and polish patches are more likely as well as extra content. I guess I'm biased because SC is my favourite fighting game, so there is that.

It's an assumption that content was removed, it's equally possible that the base game was granted X budget which it used up, and additional content that the devs know is desired requires additional resources. If the additional budget is granted, it's likely on condition it recoups the extra investment.
The game should be judged in its actuality, which doesn't include DLC. Is SC VI worth the £50 I paid for it without the DLC? IMO, absolutely. That's how I would review it, looking at what is, not what could have been.
Also, planned DLC is a good thing. It shows the game has a future that will be supported by Namco meaning things like balance, performance and polish patches are more likely as well as extra content. I guess I'm biased because SC is my favourite fighting game, so there is that.
Don't get me wrong, planned DLC is a good thing for fighters, it's just about how or when that DLC is produced that's scummy. It's why you'll never see me complaining about Season 2+ DLC, as it's produced as a reaction to reception rather than just to milk a product. If these characters start coming out towards December or later, then maybe you could try to convince me that they started work after most of the launch content was done, but if you show off a fully complete character 2 months before launch, and then say she couldn't make it into the disc she's already on, that's when I have a problem.

if they wanted to make Tira a DLC character, I think they should have offered her as a "day one" Preorder bonus for buying the main game, and NOT tie her to the Season Pass. and then give us a Pass with four addition characters.

in fact, I'd think that would drive preorders more, since I'm sure there are a lot of Tira fans out there who would preorder so they could play her day one.

Back