Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Ashlotte would be the only one among that lot worth giving any special attention but between the Automaton race and 2B, she's pretty much got zero chance of coming back.

Ashlotte could be revisited if they made her weapon more of a MH-style gun lance. She’s already steampunk. Why not just go all out?

Think Shura is another interesting choice to elaborate on since unlike the others, she/Cervantes don’t have any comparable styles or weapons. I usually expect a dual wielder to be faster but Cervantes feels more like a heavyweight. There’s also the conveniences that is not having a gun.

I really don't think Ashlotte would come back if she along with the other three were made by guest artists. Game conpanies don't like to pay people twice.

Yes, this is certainly a part of why we have not seen Necrid again (well, that and the fact that he was one of the most deeply unpopular characters in the history of the franchise--poor Necrid, he wasn't THAT much more out of place than Link or Spawn, and certainly no more so than the space cyborgs and future robots we've seen since, and his style had a certain interesting angle to it, I feel).

Actually, it's entirely possible that Namco owns those characters' images outright, as an intellectual property matter, since they were created under contract and a smart company would have reserved the maximum rights permissible under law, making it their IP for virtually all purposes. The thing is, unless you really, really wanted that character to return for thematic purposes, even just redirecting your legal depart to review the documents, research the matter and sign-off on the re-use is an expense most companies are not gonna undertake (lawyer time is super expensive, to say nothing of the potential liabilities when there is a licensing slip-up) when they could just as easily create a brand new character to go with that moveset.

Now, Soul went out of the way to make it clear that these were fantasy picks, rather than necessary realistic ones, so I won't belabour why the actual picks are actually probably pretty predictable, as there are better threads for that. But I will say I'm always surprised by how much people connected with that character design for Ashlotte--this isn't the first time I've seen her mentioned as pretty much the only bonus re-skin character that I've ever seen fans really advocating for a return of, with a new independent style. But I'd be surprised to ever see it happen in any context in a future game. It's definetly not in the cards for a season pass for VI, of course.

I still say Valeria could offer a lot of potential. That weapon is very cool. It makes all footwear a part of the weapon and you look at it differently than on other characters. Puts a lot of emphasis on martial arts which is great for a fighting game. Somehow it manages to be uncommon and different but still very familiar at the same time.

All of that, plus a cute girl in a maid outfit with that unique dress. I think it had a dragon image on it or something. Whats not to like?

What is wrong with the damn netcode for this game? I had so many disconnects last night I just gave up playing. A few times I even had five or six in a row. And if it isn't disconnecting, it's stopping and starting constantly in the middle of a match.

Now, I have a wired connection and 50 MB/s download speed. So why is the online play ten times worse than the last game, which came out half a decade ago, and which I always played wireless? It makes it not worth playing.

I still say Valeria could offer a lot of potential. That weapon is very cool. It makes all footwear a part of the weapon and you look at it differently than on other characters. Puts a lot of emphasis on martial arts which is great for a fighting game. Somehow it manages to be uncommon and different but still very familiar at the same time.

All of that, plus a cute girl in a maid outfit with that unique dress. I think it had a dragon image on it or something. Whats not to like?

Well, what a Valeria (or any SCIII:CE bonus character) would have an advantage over an Ashlotte (or any other SCIV "bonus character"), insofar as the former at least has a half-finished unique moveset, and the latter does not. And of course there is the lack of potential licesning issues discussed above with regard to the SCIII bonus characters, vs. the SCIV bonus characters.

That said, much as I like some of those bonus styles, the grieve edge included, there is realistically absolutely zero chance that any of them will be DLC characters for SCVI. I love the notion of a fantasy scenario where they wrap up releasing the Soul Edge through Soul Calibur IV characters in three season passes and then go on to add still more seasons with a nice selection of SCV characters and SCIII:CE bonus characters (other than Amy, Hwang, and Li Long, who would hopefully have all been released by that point already), alongside new originals and yet more guests.

But the plain fact of the matter is that we don't even have a confirmation on a second season pass yet, and anything beyond that is probably a pipe dream. More's the pity--if they dropped twenty more characters for eight dollars a pop, I'd probably buy them all, but I am not their average consumer in that respect. FYI, regarding Valeria, did you happen to see my response last time you floated Valeria in the DLC thread? If not, I'd suggest you go back and watch the movie I linked there--based upon your description of what you love about her style, I think you would really like that short. Monty Oum (rest in peace) was very clearly a Soul Calibur fan (as indeed he was a fan of anything with artistically thoughtful action choreography), and it shows in several places in his work, but that is perhaps the single most obvious example.

All these Ivys, swarming ranked like locusts right now. It's not that they are difficult per say, it's the damn cowardly "not gonna let you near so I will spam these three-to-four same moves" way of playing the game, and they do just fine with this limited set of spam-assery since the moves are so powerful and almost indistinguishable from one another. Can't help but feel as if my time's being wasted. Oh Ivy Ivy Ivy, the pet peeve of a lifetime.
Those moves are pretty managable actually. More often than not one whiff is enough for you to close the distance. What bothers me more is how many great lows she has. Not only they are really fast but also they have great range and other properties (22K is outright ridiculous sometimes). Add two great throws (one unbreakable because why the hell not) and fighting her up close can get as tedious as at a distance. Tho she is nowhere near as frustrating to play against compared to her before the patch (change to some DMG scaling and most notably her CE)

Those moves are pretty managable actually. More often than not one whiff is enough for you to close the distance. What bothers me more is how many great lows she has. Not only they are really fast but also they have great range and other properties (22K is outright ridiculous sometimes). Add two great throws (one unbreakable because why the hell not) and fighting her up close can get as tedious as at a distance. Tho she is nowhere near as frustrating to play against compared to her before the patch (change to some DMG scaling and most notably her CE)
Closing the distance is fine but the cheapest Ivys know exactly how to reestablish that distance by repeating the lows you mention, mixing it up with her breakers. It takes one swift leg sweep to be back on square one and they know it so well. There's literally no other character where the matches feel "off", like disjointed from the overall experience against the roster, and this after having labbed the shit out of it. Maybe I should just pick up a teleport character and bring the cheeze.

Closing the distance is fine but the cheapest Ivys know exactly how to reestablish that distance by repeating the lows you mention, mixing it up with her breakers. It takes one swift leg sweep to be back on square one and they know it so well. There's literally no other character where the matches feel "off", like disjointed from the overall experience against the roster, and this after having labbed the shit out of it. Maybe I should just pick up a teleport character and bring the cheeze.

I must be more a scrub than I thought, because I am struggling to even close that distance half the time; attempting to step her at any range just feels absurdly difficult, especially if there's the slightest connection issue--and boy are there a lot of jackasses quite prepared to abuse that state of affairs. And mind you, I've been mostly focused on rush-down characters since forever and continue to do so now--if I am struggling, I can't even imagine what it's like playing Astaroth against her. You say she's the pet peeve of a lifetime, but I generally felt she was consistently pretty balanced in SCII-SCV; relative to the rest of the roster, I haven't felt that she was OP since SCI (maybe to a lesser extent, SCII) and back then you could forgive it because she was, in terms of what was required in inputs at that time, by far the techiest character. When you got your ass handed to you by Ivy, you knew it was because your opponent had put some serious time into the game and every loss was a unique display of sadistic savagery. This just does not feel the same: every single time I loss to Ivy in VI, I feel like I am facing the same jerk-off spamming the same moves in roughly the same order.

Historically, I have tried not to be one of those people who whines too much about the tiers, especially this soon after a release, but the updates so far are not correcting some pretty glaring issues. And roughly 80% of those gripes are connected to just two characters: Ivy and Groh.

Last edited:
Closing in on Ivy with Tira isn't too hard cause you can just updraft over Ivy's zoning tools and also punish them and then voila you're right next to her

Make sure you stay clear of any 2D fighting games. Where distance zoning has been a thing since... as long as fighting games have existed and there is a thing called chip damage.

Make sure you stay clear of any 2D fighting games. Where distance zoning has been a thing since... as long as fighting games have existed and there is a thing called chip damage.
Seong-Mina is distance zoning done right imo. A bit slower with more power, and just less techy perks overall which favors balance even with close-range fighters (and she still manages to be strong). I feel they're cramming too much into Ivy's toolbox and giving her excessive privileges in relation to her speed and the damage she can dish out.

I must be more a scrub than I thought, because I am struggling to even close that distance half the time; attempting to step her at any range just feels absurdly difficult, especially if there's the slightest connection issue--and boy are there a lot of jackasses quite prepared to abuse that state of affairs. And mind you, I've been mostly focused on rush-down characters since forever and continue to do so now--if I am struggling, I can't even imagine what it's like playing Astaroth against her. You say she's the pet peeve of a lifetime, but I generally felt she was consistently pretty balanced in SCII-SCV; relative to the rest of the roster, I haven't felt that she was OP since SCI (maybe to a lesser extent, SCII) and back then you could forgive it because she was, in terms of what was required in inputs at that time, by far the techiest character. When you got your ass handed to you by Ivy, you knew it was because your opponent had put some serious time into the game and every loss was a unique display of sadistic savagery. This just does not feel the same: every single time I loss to Ivy in VI, I feel like I am facing the same jerk-off spamming the same moves in roughly the same order.

Historically, I have tried not to be one of those people who whines too much about the tiers, especially this soon after a release, but the updates so far are not correcting some pretty glaring issues. And roughly 80% of those gripes are connected to just two characters: Ivy and Groh.
It's a balance issue as long as Bamco wants her that efficient while not giving some close/mid-rangers better tools for getting up close and personal. The effort becomes unproportional when there's a whole guantlet to run, over and over during a match, before you can even attempt making some good damage. Ivy's have it easy.

Last edited:
I thought the Sieg/Ivy match up was bad for sieg, but I'm realizing that a lot of the cast has it even worse than he does VS ivy. At least he can sort of cover distance and dish out big damage. The hardest part is trying to play just outside of her throw range while also staying inside of her long range moves. In that very small sweet spot, he has the advantage.

Still doesn't give me as much trouble as 2B. Her 6bb needs fixing, it should not jail, and it should NOT have a hurtbox BEHIND her. There's a video of someone stepping completely behind 2B and still getting caught by a VERTICAL. Her CE is too fast, her RO game is too strong. I would like her dashing low to be a little slower to be more react-able, you have to anticipate that shit (or it's just online lag who knows), on top of that it also RO from a far distance with combo.

2B is no fun to play against. I never give rematches, win lose or draw. It's getting really annoying because it seems like 1/3 of my opponents are fucking 2B. I can body the less adept ones no problem, with the skilled ones I'm screwed. All of siegs stance transitions can be interupted, my move list is reduced to about half of what it normally is. She completely shuts him down. Any match up advice would be great. If any competent 2B users are willing to divulge some secrets...since you know frame data is very incomplete for her right now

Most of her launchers are unsafe. Since none of you are helpful at all, I asked on Twitter and was told that you're just supposed to step guard her in Angler. GI will cover most options in Aggression Shift except for B+K rocket punch. Most 2B's will use the forward throw and not the back throw. Reversal Edge is your friend because her Guard Breaks are somewhat situational. My issue is that she plays like prepatch Azwel. Most competent 2B's immediately backstep at the start of a round. If Azwel can't do it, she shouldn't either. That's my reasoning. I heard that she becomes slower/less mobile when her health is low however.

2B is the weakest stance character against RE. All of her stance transitions require her to hit the opponent which RE technically doesn’t allow her to do. And since a majority of her movelist is negative on block, she’s nearly guaranteed to get hit.

Be very careful with RE against 2B if your guard is low. She has some pretty crazy launchers in RE that will hurt bad if it crushes.

Back